Worthyview / sticklinch 2023

buttonmonster

9 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Did anyone here stay in one of the 4 man bunkpods (I think they were called that). I was working near them and they seemed pretty cosy for 4 adults. Probably better for a family with smaller kids. Saying that, a dad in one had clearly had enough of being in the same small space as his kids as he kept coming out for a chat

We stayed in one last year, just two of us and we liked it a lot. 

I'm an old git and was getting the coach, so wanted to travel as light as possible, but have a comfy bed - hence I'd already got a tent in first 22 resale, but kept a keen eye on the page until any of the few options which include beds appeared, then cancelled the tent. 

Their reception was swift and organised, the shed was spacious and the toilets were some of the most pleasant I'd used in the festival in several decades. 

I didn't mind the walk onto site or back, it suited us to pass co op to buy mixers and ice and I never would have considered WV, as the accommodation options were different and due to the hill. 

Mentioned this in another thread.

Have done WV 3 times now, it is excellent on the whole. No hassle with parking (or leaving), quick entry, tent already there and 2 mins from  the car park, flushing loos and excellent showers.

But, unless you use loos & showers pre 8am or after 11.30am, there's enormous queues.

Also not enough food & drink provision, particularly between those times.

Bit weird having the pizza business there, given times when people are at WV. By day 2 or 3 they were opening at 8am for breakfast pizzas, one of which I had.

They just need to work with traders to have more available at breakfast time, maybe close 12-8 during the day or have a skeleton offering and then have something back for people coming home in the evenings. The traders were all either absolutely slammed or twiddling thumbs, not that useful for anyone.

Need more showers and loos.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Clouds said:

Yeah definitely not 10 minutes unless they were sprinting it at 6am

I was working at that gate all 3 shifts and went on break once to sit on the park hill. I would put 30 minutes on it easy in crowds. Easy in and out with the car but I wouldn't ever want to be that far out. I see it as when your stuff is in, you are there for the remainder. Although usually I do camp at Oxylers,I think I'll be opting for the Pyramid area next time. I'm a shorter person so after these pyramid crowds and the amount of people in, at worst if I think the crowds aren't worth it I can just go back, sit down and enjoy it at my tent comfortably with a few as seeing the stage is better than not actually seeing it.

I'm surprised by people's view that Sticklinch is a big walk. It's next to our secret camping spot we've used for 10+ years now, and that's only a short walk from the Other Stage. By "secret", I mean a place we go every year where there's loads of room for the entire weekend and almost no through traffic. I'm kind of afraid to say where it is, but let's just say you could get to the Sticklinch entrance/exit on foot in a couple of minutes. 

14 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

I'm surprised by people's view that Sticklinch is a big walk. It's next to our secret camping spot we've used for 10+ years now, and that's only a short walk from the Other Stage. By "secret", I mean a place we go every year where there's loads of room for the entire weekend and almost no through traffic. I'm kind of afraid to say where it is, but let's just say you could get to the Sticklinch entrance/exit on foot in a couple of minutes. 

Are there 2 (or more!) routes from Sticklinch into the site? The whole festival I went by the Co-Op then Arcadia. Then the final day leaving we somehow accidentally went another way which brought us straight to Silver Hayes, didn’t pass the Co-Op. It seemed faster, as I remember thinking I wish we had known this the whole time. 

My sense of direction is terrible though so I could’ve just imagined it was quicker!

Is Sticklinch really that far? I camped in Dairy Ground this year and saw all the signs for it, it didn't seem that much further. Admittedly, the walk from SE corner is gonna be long; that's the same with normal campsites near Gate D anyway

2 hours ago, DTichborne said:

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Is Sticklinch really that far? I camped in Dairy Ground this year and saw all the signs for it, it didn't seem that much further. Admittedly, the walk from SE corner is gonna be long; that's the same with normal campsites near Gate D anyway

Just for the insight, Sticklinch which is right before Stickleball gate is the furthest place away in the opposite direction from oxfam camping. When at the ribbon tower you have to come off of that up a path, round the corner and then through about 3/4 fields.

8 hours ago, mufcok said:

I think this is it. I enter the site via Gate D and camp very near to it in the aforementioned "never busy" spot. It's a field where you go to the back, camp by the fence, everyone camps in front of you and nobody spots there's still room at the back. And it's near the Sticklinch entrance to the site. That's enough clues. 🙂

On 7/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, northernangel said:

Really? Unless I have something wrong? It took 15 minutes at heavy pace to walk from stickleball gate to the ribbon tower area

Definitely only took us 10. Was our ballpark to get to Lightning Seeds and Lathums to start the day. 

My mate left for Rick on the Pyramid at 11.45am on the Sunday and only missed the first 5 minutes. 

Take the very first immediate left after you leave the camp site, don't walk straight on towards the Park.

21 hours ago, LTT250 said:

Are there 2 (or more!) routes from Sticklinch into the site? The whole festival I went by the Co-Op then Arcadia. Then the final day leaving we somehow accidentally went another way which brought us straight to Silver Hayes, didn’t pass the Co-Op. It seemed faster, as I remember thinking I wish we had known this the whole time. 

My sense of direction is terrible though so I could’ve just imagined it was quicker!

If you are going past Co-op and then past Arcadia you are definitely going the long way. 

After Co-op walk straight on through the toilets. 

There is also a "cheat" route down to Silver Hayes to Woodsies from Sticklinch no one seems to know about. 

Edited by briddj

Absolutely you needed to take the first left on leaving as the fastest route. 10 minutes to Other is still a stretch mind.

Only lesson I’d take from camping there would be to avoid heading up to Park/Arcadia too early in the evening. We were up for Chemical  Brothers / Floating Points which was ok, but when we got bored there was a real reluctance to go back towards Glade/SE and all the other bars as we’d have to trek right back.

Something half decent to replace the drive in place, such as a bar or relaxing place would be canny!

On 6/30/2023 at 3:33 PM, philipsteak said:

Did anyone here stay in one of the 4 man bunkpods (I think they were called that). I was working near them and they seemed pretty cosy for 4 adults. Probably better for a family with smaller kids. Saying that, a dad in one had clearly had enough of being in the same small space as his kids as he kept coming out for a chat

Stayed in these this year. They sleep 4 but they're not really built for 4 adults (2 couples). Bags are on top of one another as if you've got a couple of bags and then any booze it's just a means of piling it all up and searching for things the following morning. The bunk beds themselves were average, and our girlfriends on the top bunk must have banged their heads several times each night, but more frustrating was that was the noise the top bunk beds made whenever you'd need to shuffle around in the bed, would nearly wake the rest of us up it would creek that loudly!

We still didn't get woken up by the heat until 9am-ish which seemed to beat some of our other party who were staying in the basic pop up tents, as they seemed to struggle from around 7am each morning with the heat. For the value of money I don't think I'd head back to sticklinch, with the main reason being the long walk back in all honesty. 

19 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Stayed in these this year. They sleep 4 but they're not really built for 4 adults (2 couples). Bags are on top of one another as if you've got a couple of bags and then any booze it's just a means of piling it all up and searching for things the following morning. The bunk beds themselves were average, and our girlfriends on the top bunk must have banged their heads several times each night, but more frustrating was that was the noise the top bunk beds made whenever you'd need to shuffle around in the bed, would nearly wake the rest of us up it would creek that loudly!

We still didn't get woken up by the heat until 9am-ish which seemed to beat some of our other party who were staying in the basic pop up tents, as they seemed to struggle from around 7am each morning with the heat. For the value of money I don't think I'd head back to sticklinch, with the main reason being the long walk back in all honesty. 

Thanks.

Kinda what I thought looking at them.

The beds did like a little flimsy

On 7/1/2023 at 9:40 AM, tom22 said:

Mentioned this in another thread.

Have done WV 3 times now, it is excellent on the whole. No hassle with parking (or leaving), quick entry, tent already there and 2 mins from  the car park, flushing loos and excellent showers.

But, unless you use loos & showers pre 8am or after 11.30am, there's enormous queues.

Also not enough food & drink provision, particularly between those times.

Bit weird having the pizza business there, given times when people are at WV. By day 2 or 3 they were opening at 8am for breakfast pizzas, one of which I had.

They just need to work with traders to have more available at breakfast time, maybe close 12-8 during the day or have a skeleton offering and then have something back for people coming home in the evenings. The traders were all either absolutely slammed or twiddling thumbs, not that useful for anyone.

Need more showers and loos.

Pretty much bang-on summary right there. This was my third time at WV & it has got progressively worse. Although to qualify that statement, it’s not at all bad and would do again.

I was in Sticklinch and generally enjoyed it. Used to camp in Dairy/Paines so felt the walk was acceptable, although we were in an Octopad which was literally as far away as possible. I only used the showers twice as the queues were fairly long at peak times, and I never bothered queueing for any breakfast or coffee. Flushing loos were nice (apart from the Friday downtime) and it was generally a good, quiet area. I really enjoyed being 5 mins from the car, and having a tent and beds set up already. We also got out super quick on Monday around 11am, just got stuck in some Worthy View traffic as we went south of the site.

30 minutes ago, evilduck said:

I was in Sticklinch and generally enjoyed it. Used to camp in Dairy/Paines so felt the walk was acceptable, although we were in an Octopad which was literally as far away as possible. I only used the showers twice as the queues were fairly long at peak times, and I never bothered queueing for any breakfast or coffee. Flushing loos were nice (apart from the Friday downtime) and it was generally a good, quiet area. I really enjoyed being 5 mins from the car, and having a tent and beds set up already. We also got out super quick on Monday around 11am, just got stuck in some Worthy View traffic as we went south of the site.

You want more than two showers? 

That's crazy talk 😉

Have heard complaints now several years in a row now about WV (and now Sticklinch) having big queues for showers, should they not listen to their 'customers' and put and put more in? 

Surely having showers is one of the big selling points?