The feeling that you didn't see a lot of music?

bigbilly

Saw barely anything all weekend because of having the kids with me:

Friday - Texas, Foos, Arctics

Saturday - Capaldi, Lizzo (heavily caveated by queueing for ages for food), little bit of GnR, LDR

Sunday - Blondie (again, food queue), Lil Nas X, Elton

There was stuff I quite wanted to see over the weekend, The Hives, Murder Capital, Last Dinner Party, Editors, etc but they were all sacrificed, and I'm absolutely fine with it.

Good thing about the lineup being considerably weaker this year was that I never in any rush to get anywhere or see anything so could just focus on other stuff. Had the lineup been as good as last year's then there would have been a serious problem. Friday 2022 would have had me sprinting all over the site with my family in tow like that dad from the Fast Show. 

24 minutes ago, goonerben said:

I had a similar feeling to the OP - saw 1 act on Thursday, 6 on Friday, 7 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday.  But the list of people I wanted-to-but-didn't see is far longer than that.

I think (other than a stacked lineup) a lot of this is because the place is just so big - with (often) significant gaps between artists on the same stage, a trek between stages, and battling crowds along the way.

Somehow I managed to get around mine without feeling like I was pinging about too much, certainly in comparison to last year.  I think the lack of must sees meant that I wasn't trying to cover the distance between stages at opposite ends of the site so much, and either seeing who was on nearby or even staying at the same stage for a bit. Also meant I was happy to amble rather than march places

I probably saw more than I expected.

Wednesday:

Old Time Sailors @ Croissant Neuf Bandstand*
Mik Artistik @ Croissant Neuf Bandstand*

Thursday:

Meditation with Deepak Chopra and peace procession from the Park
Prima Queen @ Rabbit Hole
Anthony Szmierek @ West Holts Bar
Dom Joly @ Astrolabe
Flash Bang Brass @ Astrolabe
Jonathan Pie @ Astrolabe

Friday:

The Sixsters @ Woodsies
Pretty Girl @ The Levels*
Mark Sinclair @ The Glade*
Lightning Seeds @ Other
Billy Nomates @ The Park*
Texas @ Pyramid
Foo Fighters @ Pyramid
Sparks @ The Park*
Panic Shack @ Strummerville
Cassyette @ Truth

Saturday:

Rick Astley @ Pyramid
Raye @ Pyramid
Sudan Archives @ West Holts*
Beyond Repair Entertainment @ Astrolabe*
Stephen Frost Impro Allstars @ Astrolabe
Lottery Winners @ Greenpeace 
Gabrielle Aplin @ Avalon
Jake Shears @ Avalon
Melanie C @ Avalon
Guns N Roses @ Pyramid*
Hot Brown Honey @ Circus Big Top*

Sunday:

Guardian interview with Melanie C @ Cabaret
Nova Twins @ Other
Teskey Brothers @ Other
Blondie @ Pyramid
Lil Nas X @ Pyramid 
Elton John @ Pyramid
Hybrid Minds ft Tempaz @ Arcadia*

The ones with the * I only saw part of or it was sort of background while I was eating. But all in, 34 acts, plus the meditation, plus the Mel C interview, plus some other time spent in the Common, plus learning how to read tarot. All for £340.

No-one can tell me Glastonbury isn't value for money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Lightning Seeds @ Other
Billy Nomates @ The Park*
Texas @ Pyramid
Foo Fighters @ Pyramid
Sparks @ The Park*
Panic Shack @ Strummerville
Cassyette @ Truth

That run is making my feet ache just reading it

1 minute ago, Quark said:

That run is making my feet ache just reading it

My feet STILL ache, although that might be due to stupidly wearing heels for Porcupine Tree on the cobbles of Castlefield Bowl last night 😂

I did 28,000 steps on Friday.

I was working and so I accepted I wouldn’t see loads, and I also had quite a tough shift pattern but we saw:

Fri - Texas, Panic Shack, Lottery Winners, Laura Mvula - before going into our overnight shift at 8.45

Sat - Raye, Aitch, Lizzo, Leftfield, Fat Boy Slim. (Had to set the alarm after the overnighter & just go to Raye in last nights clothes, and then go back to wash & dress for the rest of the day!)

Sun - just Elton cos I was on duty from 12.45 - 9. Managed to get quite a good view from near the cider bus exit at the bottom of the field despite obviously arriving late.

However, on my very first Glastonbury in 1986, with no work commitments and the energy of youth, I only saw The Housemartins & Ruby Turner! (& there was loads I wanted to see!)

Yeah it felt like we didn't see much music but we did kind of plan it that way! Picked a handful we definitely wanted to see and made sure everyone got to see their 'musts' but other than that we went with the flow 🙂 Friday was probs our best run of Hozier/Fred/AM which we didn't think we'd manage! (Missed the start of Fred but can't complain)

It was some of our first times so wanted to make sure we had enough time to explore and experience different stuff. We loved theatre & circus fields and I'm ashamed to admit how much time we spent learning to juggle 😂

1 hour ago, ICGenie said:

Anthony Szmierek @ West Holts Bar

My friends saw this and were going absolutely bananas over how fun he was. It sounded absolutely fab, but me and a pal tried to have a quick wee beforehand, and then couldn't get in - we had some food instead and sat on the West Holts lawn, but I did bump into and say 'Anthony!' to him the next day by The Other Stage. He was very sweet fwiw.

3 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

My friends saw this and were going absolutely bananas over how fun he was. It sounded absolutely fab, but me and a pal tried to have a quick wee beforehand, and then couldn't get in - we had some food instead and sat on the West Holts lawn, but I did bump into and say 'Anthony!' to him the next day by The Other Stage. He was very sweet fwiw.

Yeah it was brilliant. I think I did similar, was in there beforehand, nipped out for a wee but I did get back in.  Joys of being on my own means I'm always squeezing into gaps 😁  He seemed like a nice chap too, very talented, deserves the recognition he's getting.

• Like 1

I did alright on the Friday and Sunday but Saturday was Lewis Capaldi, half of Lizzo and half of Leftfield then I had to go to bed as was knackered. I was still up at 6am Friday night and Sunday night but could definitely have done more on Saturday 

Saw 20 full or almost full sets. I was volunteering. Am back at work but still recovering.  Used to manage around 30 in pre-Oxfam times.

NB - on Saturday I saw four in a row at John Peel. Not moving so much was a good idea in that heat.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, Quark said:

Gone back and had a look, didn't do too badly this year.  TBH I didn't find the heat affected me in getting around. Not all full sets but most were.

This Is Inja (Glade Dome)
London Elektricity (Glade Dome)
Wheel Of Four Tunes (Sensation Seekers)
Ben Howard (Other)
Lightning Seeds (Other)
Louis Cole (West Holts)
Lottery Winners (Avalon)
The Comet Is Coming (Park)
Young Fathers (West Holts)
Hot Chip (Woodsies)
Four Tet (IICON)
Gentlemen's Dub Club & Hollie Cook (Truth)
Max Richter (Park)
Lathums (Other)
Working Men's Club (Woodsies)
La Familia Rosso (Big Top)
Fisherman's Friends (Avalon)
Dreadzone (Glade)
Manic St Preachers (Other)
Guns 'n' Roses (Pyramid)
Ivo Graham (Cabaret)
John Francis Glynn (Park)
Gwenno (Park)
Big Moon (Woodsies)
Teskey Brothers (Other)
Slowdive (Woodsies)
Editors (Woodsies)
Elton John (Pyramid)
Chainska Brassika (Bimble Inn)

How good were Chainska brassika after Elton though!?

1 hour ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

How good were Chainska brassika after Elton though!?

Always fun! Seen them quite a few times. A group of us were using it as the last collective meet for a photo so we were outside the tent, but had a good old dance anyway

I saw plenty of acts in part, slipped into the (bad?) habit of catching a few songs then moving on. About 12 full performances, down to being perfectly happy seeing Generation Sex doing God Save The Queen then moving on. Full sets of Elton, Sparks, Pretenders, Hobos, Seth, Mary Wallopers, Funke, Cat Stevens, ADG7, Gabriels, Ninotchka, etc