Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

Well the festival is over for this year so whilst we are all feeling the burn from this year’s festival time to either keep up the momentum or start the fitness drive for next year’s festival. 

This thread is for everyone to share their successes, ask for support etc. and It’s for the already fit training for big events or those of us who want to get up the hill of death without feeling quite so out of breath! 

• Like 2

Didnt go this year but determined to reach a decent level of fitness. In 2017 i was training for half marathons and found I had so much more energy all weekend. Last year i was in shape but not particularly fit and found it tough. That also may have been down to doing 35k steps on the wednesday but 2024 i'm going to be fit and ready to go.

Failed miserably in the ticket sales this year - I suffered badly on the Sunday in 2022 and had to bail at 2AM from lack of fitness after clocking up just 70 miles. in 2017 I clocked up over 90 miles on my fitbit before it went flat and was still OK for a 4AM dance tent sesh.

So the target for 2024 is:-

1) Get tickets.

2) Lose at least 2 Stone to get back to my pre-pandemic weight

3) Get my fitness level up (as WFH has ruined it).

4) Get some new hiking boots and get them broken in.

Have trained consistently for best part of 25 years, so generally feel pretty fit and healthy, but I will definitely do some longer hilly walks in the build up next year to get the calves ready.

Might even do something like the 3 peaks a month or so before. 

Is May a decent time to do it do you reckon? 

So about 6 weeks before Glastonbury this year I did a 100km Ultra Marathon (walked it not ran) took me just over 24 hours, very tough but not too bad. 

Think before/during Elton I was stood for about 4 hours and it felt like my right knee was about to explode at any point, not sure if there is any logic to stood somewhat still being tougher on the joints but it was mind boggling to me that I could do the Ultra but was in genuine physical strain over being stood.

15 to 20 kms a day, pain in the fit and tired legs but otherwise no issues, I'm quite happy with it! I do need to go down a few kilos to reach my BMI goal, and keep up with exercise as some hip pain in the two weeks before the fest/high temperatures got me off the bandwagon. First short term goal being that 7.5 K I am super close to run.

Ugh. Right. Glasto was fine, carried the heavy pack and tent in ok, heat didn't get to me, back gave me no trouble, happily moving around, all good. But...

Noticeably in worse shape than I have been for years.  Rugby retirement definitely hasn't helped, along with work and a few other bits. It's all relative so a lot of people would / do think I've got nothing to worry about, but it's really noticeable for me. My favourite festival shorts are no longer comfy on the waist, so had to go for the bigger pair.  Weight's up, along with body fat.  So going to join back in here and get myself back on track.

Started already.  Signed myself back into MyFitnessPal as I've completely lost track of what I'm eating in terms of calories and macros.  Realised I haven't really adjusted my diet since I went veggie, so the numbers are actually a bit all over the place. Way too much bread, not enough protein, and God only knows the calories I've actually been chucking back! Certainly need to get cheese & onion pasties, cookies and choc back under control.

Exercise-wise I've gone back to the training plan I was given by a PT mate of mine back in 2019 that worked really well with an adjusted diet.  Not going all in on the diet plan as it was unsustainable, but it's a useful starting point. Gym three times a week and two or three cardio sessions in between is the plan.

I've got a holiday with some mates to France for the rugby in September, and tbh I'm honest enough to own my vanity and admit I want to look decent by the pool!

EDIT: manifest this sh*t to the universe.  Current weight is just under 87kg but really should be somewhere around the 82kg mark, dependent on muscle growth. Bigger one is body fat; that's at 21.2% but target is to get it back to sub-17%. 

Bring it on.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

My 'move at least 10km a day' plan that I've been doing since January certainly paid off - I had no problems over the whole long weekend, bar a few blisters, I walked about 85 miles too. Multiple trips back and forth from east camper, the hill felt noticably less steep 🙂

But I can do better! I'd like to do the same next year, but be less chubby as well 😄

So I'm going to continue with the cycling as for as long as the light evenings last then go back to walking over winter.

I'm currently 11st8 (and short)

aiming for 10st something

Edited by paulshane

I just don't have any core strength. I can hotfoot all over the site for the 5 festival days fine, but carrying stuff to and from the car I feel like I'm going to crumple. Dr has been telling me that I need to be exercising to not lose muscle mass for 18 months but I've not been listening, just thought it was kind of funny that the back door is too heavy for me to close now but that's not a big deal when the rest of my life isn't affected. But now it's hit me in the Glastonbury and that's serious business. I had to miss Slowdive because the trudge back to the car took so long.

7 minutes ago, Amy Lawn said:

I just don't have any core strength. I can hotfoot all over the site for the 5 festival days fine, but carrying stuff to and from the car I feel like I'm going to crumple. Dr has been telling me that I need to be exercising to not lose muscle mass for 18 months but I've not been listening, just thought it was kind of funny that the back door is too heavy for me to close now but that's not a big deal when the rest of my life isn't affected. But now it's hit me in the Glastonbury and that's serious business. I had to miss Slowdive because the trudge back to the car took so long.

Can 100% recommend pilates for core.  Something I dropped off doing but I used to do it as part of my rugby training and the difference it made was noticeable.

Could definitely benefit from taking part in this thread and taking fitness for next year a little more seriously. The steps each day didn't bother me but f**king hell carrying my rucksack/tents/crates etc from the car killed me off. Also walking back up to where we were camping each day (hitchin hill) felt like it just got harder and harder!! 

20 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can 100% recommend pilates for core.  Something I dropped off doing but I used to do it as part of my rugby training and the difference it made was noticeable.

My mum's been saying this to me for ages 😭 and I've been like YOU need pilates because you are old, I am too young and cute for any of that song of thing, my exciting life is my exercise how about that. And now I'm gonna need to do it and hide it from her because if she finds out she was right she'll be unbearable.

11 minutes ago, Amy Lawn said:

My mum's been saying this to me for ages 😭 and I've been like YOU need pilates because you are old, I am too young and cute for any of that song of thing, my exciting life is my exercise how about that. And now I'm gonna need to do it and hide it from her because if she finds out she was right she'll be unbearable.

A wise woman

This year was better in many ways. Simply the fact that I wasn't lugging around an extra 32kgs. Made the long days easier, definitely made coping with the heat easier. I've certainly been the fat sweaty mess fading from shade to shade and drinking what seemed like gallons of water in previous hot years. Had to remind myself to actually drink some water this year. There were some issues I think related to my diabetes (mostly foot related) which should hopefully improve as my remission continues. At least they shouldn't get worse. I mostly behaved myself on the food front. Wasn't perfect, but then I haven't been as strict anyway. What I was doing previously was necessary but unsustainable long term.

Still real improvements needed fitness wise and now the weight and diabetes is pretty much under control (technically not the diabetes have to wait another couple of months to officially be in remission) that is the focus. Don't want to be superman, but overall fitness, stamina and I think core strength improvements. Might look in to Pilates. It's it something you can do at home or are you better going to a class?

19 minutes ago, GlastoFlow said:

Could anyone recommend any tutorials/plans/websites for an ABSOLUTE beginner who generally wants to improve fitness and strength? No idea where to start

Maybe a sh*tty advice: find something you kind of like doing and that doesn't involve lots of travel time to get there/is at inconvenient times. A lot of people in the 2023 thread smashed it by doing long walks. But maybe finding a random group of people playing football on sunday afternoon may be your thing. 80s aerobics when the kids are sleeping? Go for it.

24 minutes ago, GlastoFlow said:

Could anyone recommend any tutorials/plans/websites for an ABSOLUTE beginner who generally wants to improve fitness and strength? No idea where to start

I've always found this one really helpful. Loads of info for beginners right up to the other end of the experience scale.

https://exrx.net/Beginning

21 minutes ago, Homersexual said:

Any recommendations for a solid pair of men's hiking boots that don't cost a mint?

No guarantee these will be as comfy for you as they are for me, but I love mine.  HiTecs are quite wide, which suits my feet.  I did all of Glastonbury 2022 in these, and they've also done me for all day 50km walks with no rubbing.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902033/hi-tec-aysgarth-ii-mid-wp-men-s-walking-boot-15902033

Edited by Quark