The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Last summer was a washout. Glastonbury was one of the few festivals that emerged unscathed.

Yep I got so sick of Spanish colleagues complaining about the heat and wishing they had rain. Was bloody eager to send them some although I would have hated the heat they had as well. I'm not at all a sun worshiper but last Summer was miserable even by my standards!

Dunno about anywhere else, but these mild temperatures, and insane wind, is drying the ground out wonderfully here... 

We've had a fair amount of rain in the last few days two, but the ground is still much firmer than it was before the frosts came a couple of weeks ago... 

58 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Dunno about anywhere else, but these mild temperatures, and insane wind, is drying the ground out wonderfully here... 

We've had a fair amount of rain in the last few days two, but the ground is still much firmer than it was before the frosts came a couple of weeks ago... 

the Somerset levels had started to drain nicely when I came over on Sunday … mind you they have some massive great big pumps helping them 

13 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Last summer was a washout. Glastonbury was one of the few festivals that emerged unscathed.

You say unscathed. It rained biblically on me whilst trying to set tents up for an hour on Wednesday morning and I 100% felt a drop of rain on my left forearm watching FBS on the Sunday afternoon.  

That to me is a washout. 

2010 All over again !!!! Woohoo

• 3 weeks later...

The European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts have released their February forecasts for the spring and summer. As each month goes by, we can be increasingly confident of their accuracy. This is their prediction for the combined months of April, May and June.  They’re still going for a warm to very warm Spring and Summer - bodes well…

IMG_4238.thumb.jpeg.0397d278f6a85a434b7ccf8f0f412a72.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Also, the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology have issued the February update for the state of the ground. This chart shows soil moisture conditions for the U.K. as of January 31st 2024.  
IMG_4237.thumb.jpeg.aad897a2b3ab67a9ace907df890b0e64.jpeg

The area around the fields is still showing wetter than average, but shows a considerable drying after December’s deluge.  This is the same chart for December, very wet:

IMG_4236.jpeg.3bf087c648bf63b58f8b8b27fd712080.jpeg

Their prediction for the Spring and early Summer is for the ground to be drier than usual, which ties in with the other agencies’ predictions of a warm dry Spring.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Fingers crossed for a warm dry spring, on the webcam it looks a bit damp today. 

going for a wander down there on Sunday 24th March with a few from here  and  a visit to the crown will check out how the ground is drying then . Anyone welcome if they are in the area please chuck me a dm if you are interested in a wander 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

going for a wander down there on Sunday 24th March with a few from here  and  a visit to the crown will check out how the ground is drying then . Anyone welcome if they are in the area please chuck me a dm if you are interested in a wander 

Thanks, There’s a strong chance that we might be down but a bit earlier in the month! All depends on the weather. Probably arrive on Wednesday  as we like the drive home on the quieter sunday roads. Pilton visit on the Friday with a crown lunch. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

On 2/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

I went last year around he same date and the fields were very soggy, but over the next couple of weeks it dried out.

I went down for a run around site last week, off track in grassed areas was very wet and soggy. There was plenty of track building working going on, diggers near to pyramid and by SE corner putting down fresh trackway. Good to see activity starting onsite ahead of the actual build starting next month 😃

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deadponyclub said:

I went down for a run around site last week, off track in grassed areas was very wet and soggy. There was plenty of track building working going on, diggers near to pyramid and by SE corner putting down fresh trackway. Good to see activity starting onsite ahead of the actual build starting next month 😃

When you say trackway is it permanent or temporary? Or is it replacing existing track?  

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

When you say trackway is it permanent or temporary? Or is it replacing existing track?  

Just replacing existing tracks with fresh gravel, I guess after a few years of use this has to be done to keep them decent for all the site traffic during build and the festival 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deadponyclub said:

Just replacing existing tracks with fresh gravel, I guess after a few years of use this has to be done to keep them decent for all the site traffic during build and the festival 

Noticed last year there was quite a lot of loose stones on some of the tracks.

18 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I just think this year so far is so reminiscent of 2016 I am anticipating a muddy one.  Obviously hope I'm wrong and it will be a lovely 23 degrees or so (I can't cope with the heat of some of the recent years!)

18-22 degrees is my happy place!