Elton bloody John 🚀

William Mann

3 minutes ago, Amy Lawn said:

There was a time on here when everyone would insist that Elton was too small to headline and was strictly Legends fodder, and the reason why he'd not played was because the stroppy diva was demanding the the big gig well above his station.

I don’t think everyone.  His record sales  alone are stratospheric.

He could have headlined the pyramid at any point in his career in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Derby_Dave said:

I don’t think everyone.  His record sales  alone are stratospheric.

He could have headlined the pyramid at any point in his career in my opinion.

I didn't mean literally every single person

I meant literally every single person except Derby Dave

• Like 2

Wouldnt crack my favourite Pyramid headliners top 3 personally, mainly due to his voice, but I still had a good time.

I'll be 100% honest, I only knew who Brandon Flowers was (& Im not into the killers) - so his guests were lost on me.

Tiny Dancer, Dont Go Breaking My Heart & Are you ready for love were great.

Still unsure who the other 1 was or the random tune of his own he played. No interest in that.

1. Stevie Wonder - Yet to be beaten for me.

7 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Is there anyone left who could pull off a hit-packed set of that magnitude? Only band that springs to mind is Fleetwood Mac... but without Christie and Lindsey are they even really Fleetwood Mac anymore? Also not sure there would be the sense of occasion which definitely elevated the whole shebang. 

Madonna

11 hours ago, Amy Lawn said:

There was a time on here when everyone would insist that Elton was too small to headline and was strictly Legends fodder, and the reason why he'd not played was because the stroppy diva was demanding the the big gig well above his station.

Guilty as charged. That was deffo my thinking and happy to admit I was wrong. I only watched on TV but looked like it would have been great in the crowd, fair play.

34 minutes ago, Nduja said:

This was the scene 4 mins before Rudimental were due to start, but as noted, it soon swelled to a very respectable and fun crowd. Everyone brought it.

Weird how the festival always seems to look way more filthy than it really is in pics

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Is there anyone left who could pull off a hit-packed set of that magnitude? Only band that springs to mind is Fleetwood Mac... but without Christie and Lindsey are they even really Fleetwood Mac anymore? Also not sure there would be the sense of occasion which definitely elevated the whole shebang. 

There would have been a few years ago. I saw them at the O2 in 2015 when the whole Rumours line-up were touring. I was taken aback by how many young people were there, and singing along.

Since then Stevie has insisted that Lindsey was given the boot, John is apparently in poor health and unlikely to tour, and then the news of Christine’s passing. Where that leaves them I don’t know; my guess is that’s it. If not they’re approaching Trigger’s broom territory, and I can’t see them headlining Glasto soon.

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

There would have been a few years ago. I saw them at the O2 in 2015 when the whole Rumours line-up were touring. I was taken aback by how many young people were there, and singing along.

Since then Stevie has insisted that Lindsey was given the boot, John is apparently in poor health and unlikely to tour, and then the news of Christine’s passing. Where that leaves them I don’t know; my guess is that’s it. If not they’re approaching Trigger’s broom territory, and I can’t see them headlining Glasto soon.

Do you really want to see Stevie, Mick and most of Crowded House?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Actually the other obvious answer to the "they literally have nowt but well known tunes to pack out El Pointo" conundrum is, sadly, Oasis.

Oasis, especially early into a reunion, is probably the closest realistic act to an Elton sized crowd.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Oasis, especially early into a reunion, is probably the closest realistic act to an Elton sized crowd.

Yes, Oasis would get an Elton-sized crowd, and Queen w/Adam Lambert possibly, although I know that'll never happen due to Eavis/May disagreement!

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah, but I suspect that a whole bunch would have seen them recently if they did it. 

I.e. 3 shows at Etihad, 3 at Wembley then the Festival.

Elton had "last ever UK gig" as a draw, even if you'd seen him recently.

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Elton had "last ever UK gig" as a draw, even if you'd seen him recently.

Plus the insane hype around his show. I don't think I've ever seen such, not only from the media, but Elton himself, inc his IMO over-egging the level of special guest. 

I know several causal attendees, some who only went to see you was guesting. All of them left disappointed. 

Thought he was amazing. A brilliant crowd and someone who knew the importance of the gig to them - not all headliners get it (see Bruce Springsteen).

Really don't know what more people want. Some of the most popular songs ever produced performed to 100,000 people having the time of their lives.