Shambala Festival 2023

PIggywhiskers

24 minutes ago, PIggywhiskers said:

Enjoyed DJ Flight on the Saturday night, can't remember where she played. Then a North African band Sunday night, but sadly can't remember the name or the place they played.

Loved the crowd, everyone seemed super friendly and chill. The whole thing really reminded me of the Big Chill festival, but I think I  went to the last year in 2011, but I loved that festival.

DJ Flight played in Kalieda (sp), she was so much better than the big names (Fabio and Grooverider) that played before her.

Only been to the Big Chill once (a long time ago), but IMO the Shambala crowd are several levels above the Big Chill crowd, and every other festival I've been to.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

DJ Flight played in Kalieda (sp), she was so much better than the big names (Fabio and Grooverider) that played before her.

Only been to the Big Chill once (a long time ago), but IMO the Shambala crowd are several levels above the Big Chill crowd, and every other festival I've been to.

Yeah, deffo better crowd. Tbf, the only comparison I had at the time was the Reading festival crowd, haha.

I was an Oxfam steward on the House Party stage on Saturday night. Much discussion before shift regards what happened the night before and what went wrong. 
Managed much better, but still got scarily busy at times (especially after F+G finished). Spent last 3 hours of shift on backstage gate trying to stop hammered people getting into performers+friends area - 90% of people fine, but the other 10% trying to blag their way in..jeez!

1 minute ago, The Red Telephone said:

I was an Oxfam steward on the House Party stage on Saturday night. Much discussion before shift regards what happened the night before and what went wrong. 

I heard that they didn't open until the Main Stage had closed.

If true, there's a mistake!

Would definitely go back as a paying customer - loved the atmosphere, dressing-up, food choices and lack of litter. Think the lack of well-known acts helps, as the people who attend as there for the festival alone.

Probably not as a steward. Campsite stuff was fine, but almost acted as bouncer/ security for House Party shift. I am a few things, but bouncer/ security is definitely not one of them!

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I heard that they didn't open until the Main Stage had closed.

If true, there's a mistake!

House party wasn't due to open until midnight, I didn't get in there. I spent a lot of time up at Naughty Mortys, found the gin palace, but didn't find the golden baby.

Anyone get into the micro venue near the compass? I heard you had tp send a fax to the woodland then find the person who got it.

Just now, mjfromthelane said:

Did it sell out this year?

General tickets sold out long before any acts were announced.

Pubic Transport Tickets sold out a bit later.

Cyclist tickets I think there might have been a few left in the end.

I'd consider it comfortably sold out, but those ultra restricted cycling packages may mean it technically wasn't.

17 minutes ago, incident said:

General tickets sold out long before any acts were announced.

Pubic Transport Tickets sold out a bit later.

Cyclist tickets I think there might have been a few left in the end.

I'd consider it comfortably sold out, but those ultra restricted cycling packages may mean it technically wasn't.

They did ask on the survey if you think the capacity could be increased or needs to be reduced.

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

They did ask on the survey if you think the capacity could be increased or needs to be reduced.

I've not received the survey link yet, should get it today.

I'll be going for a reduction in capacity and hope everyone else does the same. It's on the limit already.

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Can't see those guys agreeing to reduce their profits.

• Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I've not received the survey link yet, should get it today.

I'll be going for a reduction in capacity and hope everyone else does the same. It's on the limit already.

Honestly? I saw no sign of it being on the limit. They could maybe benefit from a bit of rejigging here or there - as the Arena area has grown, I feel like certain things have got lost slightly. The Imaginarium specifically would benefit from being more "on the beaten path".

Think the current numbers work pretty well overall though and would say keep them approximately the same.

12 hours ago, Neil said:

Can't see those guys agreeing to reduce their profits.

'Those guys' could have easily increased capacity year on year but have chosen not to. The numbers have increased very slightly in the last couple of years but not so that it's really noticable. 

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for making a decent living for putting on such a fantastic event. 

There are SO many arsehole companies out there across the spectrum of all the types of businesses that you care to name that make an absolute fortune without providing what Shambala provide. 

So, if they do pocket a few bob from it they 'kin deserve to. 

More power to their elbows. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

'Those guys' could have easily increased capacity year on year but have chosen not to. The numbers have increased very slightly in the last couple of years but not so that it's really noticable. 

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for making a decent living for putting on such a fantastic event. 

There are SO many arsehole companies out there across the spectrum of all the types of businesses that you care to name that make an absolute fortune without providing what Shambala provide. 

So, if they do pocket a few bob from it they 'kin deserve to. 

More power to their elbows. 

Along with the "rumors" that they've had offers of large amounts of cash to sell out to the likes of Live Nation etc and refused

• Upvote 2