Shambala Festival 2023

PIggywhiskers

Review: Shambala – ‘A beacon of festival sustainability’

It’s the brainchild of Bristol’s Kambe events, who say the festival is “completely and utterly committed to being sustainable, circular, regenerative, net positive, earth and life respecting and future thinking” because “it’s in our DNA.”

Their numbers confirm this: they’ve reduced the festival’s carbon footprint by over 90 per cent, moved to 100 per cent renewable energy and eradicated single-use plastics.

https://www.bristol247.com/festivals/reviews-festivals/review-shambala-a-beacon-of-festival-sustainability/

14 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

'Those guys' could have easily increased capacity year on year but have chosen not to. The numbers have increased very slightly in the last couple of years but not so that it's really noticable. 

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for making a decent living for putting on such a fantastic event. 

There are SO many arsehole companies out there across the spectrum of all the types of businesses that you care to name that make an absolute fortune without providing what Shambala provide. 

So, if they do pocket a few bob from it they 'kin deserve to. 

More power to their elbows. 

Don't feed the troll. 🤣

I once went to buy something from a stall (at Shambala) and they wouldn't take my money. I asked if the person 'serving' was he the owner, and he responded 'No, the owners that bloke rolling about laughing on the floor over there. He's taken a load of mushrooms'. The bloke 'serving' also appeared to be tripping. It must have cost quite a bit to have that stall (it wasn't a small stall), and they simply couldn't give a f**k taking money! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I once went to buy something from a stall (at Shambala) and they wouldn't take my money. I asked if the person 'serving' was he the owner, and he responded 'No, the owners that bloke rolling about laughing on the floor over there. He's taken a load of mushrooms'. The bloke 'serving' also appeared to be tripping. It must have cost quite a bit to have that stall (it wasn't a small stall), and they simply couldn't give a f**k taking money! 

There was a chap giving away Liberty Cap tincture there this year. 

He wouldn't accept a penny from anyone for it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

There was a chap giving away Liberty Cap tincture there this year. 

He wouldn't accept a penny from anyone for it. 

I met a bloke recently who grows mushrooms, as well as a variety of cactuses etc. Apparently one has to invest years in growing the later. Anyway, he was an absolutely lovely bloke. I sat talking to him for a fair bit of time - e sat down with me in our 'camp' when everybody else was sleeping. Anyway, he gives away mushrooms if its for a medical reason / to cleanse the mind etc. However, if you are someone who just wants to go off on one for the weekend, he charges. He evidently relies on honesty. The bad news is that I simply forgot to get his details. Doh!

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 5:44 PM, The Red Telephone said:

I was an Oxfam steward on the House Party stage on Saturday night. Much discussion before shift regards what happened the night before and what went wrong. 
Managed much better, but still got scarily busy at times (especially after F+G finished). Spent last 3 hours of shift on backstage gate trying to stop hammered people getting into performers+friends area - 90% of people fine, but the other 10% trying to blag their way in..jeez!

I watched a video on what causes crowd crushes after I got back and it was like a tick list of everything that went wrong Friday night, small entrance, uncontrolled queue, no comms, no one managing anything, late to open, limited capacity, and then they started a skillz on time and the shoving got worse.

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, joeltg said:

Take my hat off to anyone that managed to grab Tier 1, that was lightning!

I logged in bang on time and went straight for a Tier 1 payment plan.  Went through seamlessly.  Was done in 2 mins almost exactly.  When I went back in to check a couple of minutes later, Tier 1 had gone but Tier 2 payment plan were still there for 10 ish minutes.

All of this was a lot faster than expected.  On a day where NASS cancelled, it's an endorsement of how good the festival is and one whose reputation is spreading.

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2023 at 1:59 PM, joeltg said:

Take my hat off to anyone that managed to grab Tier 1, that was lightning!

I missed tier 1 last year as I spent extra time adding my car pass and a pay it forward donation.

I just added our two tickets and paid for them before going back to do the rest in a second transaction. 

On 11/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Probably a good thing, as long as it spreads to like minded people. No doubt a bad thing if it spreads to people with malicious intent.

I did find the daytime to be a lot quieter than previous years, then had to queue for everything after MainStage finished, will see how this year goes but wasn’t as wholesome feeling in general, could have been the crap weather. 

Didn’t have a bad time, just think it might have peaked for me, will see what the replace ChaiWallas with

6 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

I did find the daytime to be a lot quieter than previous years, then had to queue for everything after MainStage finished, will see how this year goes but wasn’t as wholesome feeling in general, could have been the crap weather. 

Didn’t have a bad time, just think it might have peaked for me, will see what the replace ChaiWallas with

I agree.

I remember saying to a old mate on the Thursday (IIRC) "this doesn't feel like Shambala"

• 1 month later...