Lana Del Rey Curfew

Tom_12

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

I'd imagine somewhere there is a sensible point to be made about how the festival isn't really set up to cater for the needs of acts with very large and complex productions (as you say, down to even hair styling), which is more and more common with younger acts these days. But I suspect it's going to get lost in the trolling and shouting.

Out of upvotes but I agree, because I am a festival nerd.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Literally two male artists ever, who were headlining the Pyramid, who both showed up ON TIME and wanted to play OVER their allotted time, and agreed to pay a big fee to do so - not show up late and expect to still play the same set length. You know this, but you’re clearly an idiot, or worse, a stan. 

P.S. nice caps work there. 

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I am, thank you! Yes, I alphabetise my "records" granddad! (We just call them Spotify playlists)

I don't like the everyday misogyny in the term "hot take" though. Come on, it's not the 80s anymore.

Pretty sure vinyl has made a come back. They'll probably skip a bit in your BMW though. 

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I am, thank you! Yes, I alphabetise my "records" granddad! (We just call them Spotify playlists)

I don't like the everyday misogyny in the term "hot take" though. Come on, it's not the 80s anymore.

Big vinyl head here... But doesn't Spotify alphabetise it for you. (yes I alphabetises my records)

In what world is 'hot take' misogynistic? (or 'Free Britney' for that matter) And as someone old enough to remember, it was not really said in the 80s. Feels like a very 21st century idiom.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The misogyny argument is such a poor one.  Any artist would be getting just as much grief for being so entitled regardless of sex / gender / whatever.

Yet Barry earlier in this thread you stated "she comes across as a typical self important insta generation type". 

45 minutes ago, robith said:

The poster is an obviously a troll, but trivialising misogyny for jokes in a pointless online argument isn't especially cool either

You can clearly see what I'm doing, I trust in other people to be able to see what I'm doing as well.

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Elton John - notoriously no stranger to a spot of diva behaviour - can be on point and on time, then anyone else can step up.

And who also wrote and performed at Glastonbury "The Bitch is Back" which is about himself... and it was on that word the whole misogyny thing in this thread started!

2 minutes ago, robith said:

I'd disagree but I'm regretting bothering so let's leave it there

Honestly I thought about it a fair bit before going down that route and figured it was so ridiculous and silly it couldn't cause any actual harm - but if you think I've missed something do let me know. Happy to hear it - feel free to DM if you'd prefer.

The whole thing sounds like a really unfortunate situation. The insightful comments above about how it unfolded, and the link to the previous shows, is really interesting - as soon as the set started, and it became clear just how intricate and theatrical it was, I figured there'd be a big problem at the end - it had clearly been choreographed extensively, and I suspect they just weren't able, on the fly, to cut things out and have it still work correctly. In the context of everything we saw on stage, I can totally believe that there was a set-up for Bartender that required her hair to be done in a very specific way. 

Obviously, would have been ideal for the audience if Lana was the sort of artist who could just roll with it and adapt, but it doesn't surprise me that she isn't. She's been criticised (rightly, from my own experience) before for being underwhelming live, and the hour that she did play completely surpassed all my expectations because of how much more effort had clearly gone into it. But the problem with that, presumably, was that she and her crew needed it all to happen in a very specific way, and unfortunately, that didn't quite work out. 

Glastonbury were totally within their rights to enforce the curfew (chaos would soon ensue if it became apparent that any headliner of any stage can just blast through the curfew without issue, and Lana presumably had upwards of 30 minutes still to go...), but I also think it's probably not quite fair to totally dismiss her lateness as just her being a diva. In hindsight, it was obviously the wrong call to just not come out and start, but in the pressure of the moment, I can see how how what seems like an easy decision to us is a much harder for one for an artist who obviously isn't the most comfortable on that kind of stage. 

You might say she shouldn't accept that kind of booking, and I get that, but in comparison to her 2016 performances (I saw her at Sziget), it seemed to me like she and her team really had tried to make it a substantially better show.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, stuartasmith85 said:

The whole thing sounds like a really unfortunate situation. The insightful comments above about how it unfolded, and the link to the previous shows, is really interesting - as soon as the set started, and it became clear just how intricate and theatrical it was, I figured there'd be a big problem at the end - it had clearly been choreographed extensively, and I suspect they just weren't able, on the fly, to cut things out and have it still work correctly. In the context of everything we saw on stage, I can totally believe that there was a set-up for Bartender that required her hair to be done in a very specific way. 

Obviously, would have been ideal for the audience if Lana was the sort of artist who could just roll with it and adapt, but it doesn't surprise me that she isn't. She's been criticised (rightly, from my own experience) before for being underwhelming live, and the hour that she did play completely surpassed all my expectations because of how much more effort had clearly gone into it. But the problem with that, presumably, was that she and her crew needed it all to happen in a very specific way, and unfortunately, that didn't quite work out. 

Glastonbury were totally within their rights to enforce the curfew (chaos would soon ensue if it became apparent that any headliner of any stage can just blast through the curfew without issue, and Lana presumably had upwards of 30 minutes still to go...), but I also think it's probably not quite fair to totally dismiss her lateness as just her being a diva. In hindsight, it was obviously the wrong call to just not come out and start, but in the pressure of the moment, I can see how how what seems like an easy decision to us is a much harder for one for an artist who obviously isn't the most comfortable on that kind of stage. 

You might say she shouldn't accept that kind of booking, and I get that, but in comparison to her 2016 performances (I saw her at Sziget), it seemed to me like she and her team really had tried to make it a substantially better show.

Very good point. I wasn't at Lana's set, instead I was watching Christine and the Queens at Woodsies. They were performing their new album in full as a kind of rock opera, with scenery, voiceovers, lighting and costume changes. A concept album that needed to be heard in full, and would have been ruined if it was cut short. The thing is the Woodsies stage was running late all day, through no fault of the artists, so CATQ started half an hour late too. However, they were able to continue, because Woodsies has a later curfew, and their set ended around 00.15. 

If CATQ had had their finale cut off I would have been bitterly disappointed. And the stage production really made it a special experience. But if, say, their sets and costumes hadn't arrived then I can more easily imagine Chris would be able to 'roll with it' as you say, and just let his voice speak for itself. The sad thing is, Lana's fans wouldn't have cared what her hair looked like. I really do feel for them.

9 minutes ago, stuartasmith85 said:

Out of upvotes but this is exactly what I was trying to say just way more eloquent. I hope that UK fans will get to see the whole performance at BST and personally I'm definitely planning to be there for that.

3 minutes ago, BookAngel said:

But if, say, their sets and costumes hadn't arrived then I can more easily imagine Chris would be able to 'roll with it' as you say, and just let his voice speak for itself. 

It looked like his costume didn't turn up?

Boom-tish!

• Like 1

They did allow 15 minutes spare for Lana. Which for a 75 minute slot is a sizeable contingency. They didn't cut her off dead on the end of her agreed slot, she got to carry on until the stage curfew. I think it's unfair to say the festival did nothing to accommodate her when they literally let her go over.

Wow this thread....

Was she a total div for being late? Yes.

Did she disrespect her fans? Yes.

Was the festival right in cutting her off at the time they said they would? Yes.

Is it right to make the assumption that if a man regularly behaved like this many would think its "rock and roll behaivour" but if a woman immediately does it, she's regarded as difficult? Yes.

All the above can be true. Ultimately a damning indictment on her, and a more damning one on socital behaviour. 

That's it really. And this is coming from a massive Lana stan.

Can we all move on now?

Edited by nban2010
  • Like 1

Since people wanted facts: if you look at how long an act actually went over their scheduled time slot they were booked for (not the stage curfew), 2004 Macca was 20 mins, Springsteen 14 mins and Lana 15 mins. So I actually think she got the same 15 mins-ish grace anyone else got. 

18 minutes ago, nban2010 said:

Wow this thread....

Was she a total div for being late? Yes.

Did she disrespect her fans? Yes.

Was the festival right in cutting her off at the time they said they would? Yes.

Is it right to make the assumption that if a man regularly behaved like this many would think its "rock and roll behaivour" but if a woman immediately does it, she's regarded as difficult? Yes.

All the above can be true. Ultimately a damning indictment on her, and a more damning one on socital behaviour. 

That's it really. And this is coming from a massive Lana stan.

Can we all move on now?

I think you’ve said everything that needs to be said 👏 

• Like 1