Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

I haven't heard most of these Ciutat names, done some digging and The Messthetics & James Brandon Lewis are some of the guys from Fugazi with a jazz saxophonist... and really sound like Fugazi does free jazz. Very cool.

Love the Armand Hammer addition too.

And if The National are doing Ciutat (very convincing that they are) I'm sure this will be a very special gig, and free up the Friday to see new things!

We keep going back to how stacked the Thursday is for our tastes. Making sure to catch Arab Strap just before and The Armed just after Primavera at their own shows to take out a couple of clashes, but it's not even the tip of the potential clash iceberg.

Fingers crossed for Danny Brown as a late addition to the Friday!

2 hours ago, Fabrizzo said:

It is almost certain that the canceled name will be the National (perfect dates) but it seems really strange to create hype for an announcement like this, names like Pet Shop Boys, Beck Phoenix have been announced at Ciutat without any problem...

It would be sensational if it were a name not present in the lineup or some  unexpected reunion

mmm I don't think I'll be there on the wednesday but the national for free the day before the official fest starts is a massive power move from primavera, the kind of things coachella would do and the reason why we love primavera tbh

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

With the National (and Yo La Tengo) playing elsewhere, Friday has got even worse and yet Thursday is Megaclash Central.

Might just watch only the smallest font names only or get drunk and pass out somewhere free from any FOMO.

Well to start with, Yo La Tengo and The National (I'm not convinced they are playing, until someone does a photoshop confirmation) are not going to the play the same sets at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Well to start with, Yo La Tengo and The National (I'm not convinced they are playing, until someone does a photoshop confirmation) are not going to the play the same sets at all.

It doesn't matter. I don't usually enjoy watching the same act twice in the space of a couple of days.

Spent some of today listening through Ciutat and of course, as always, there's heaps of great stuff I'd never heard before. Only covering Ciutat exclusives. My highlights:

• JJUUJJUU: LA-born collaborative project. Rotating members but really solid, steady, cinematic, instrumental psychedelia. So groovy.
  • John Francis Flynn: Should just be some basic folky tough guy songs but no, it sounds like some bipolar Spaghetti Midwest(ern) emo. Strange vocal delivery and random mathy guitar breaks. Special.
  • Johnny Jewel: Yeah, I already knew this one and saw him in November but so good to revisit. A blast live and feel-good funky synth-driven electronic music.
  • Irreversible Entanglements: Punk jazz-quintet, whatever that means. High energy, distorted drone mixed with standup bass. It's a trip.
  • Balming Tiger: Okay, yes, these guys are playing main fest too but I'd never heard them and wow this is fun. Sounds like if Brockhampton and Right Said Fred f**ked. If anyone has reports of their live show I'd love to hear about them.
  • The Messthetics: Like @allribena said, this is ex-Fugazi members with some avant garde saxophone. Sounds like a Z-List 80s cop soundtrack backed up by some of the best musicians around. Jarring in moments and totally unorthodox.
  • Water From Your eyes: I don't know what the hell this is but I love it. Sounds like my thoughts are loading one by one. If someone could play ADHD brain with a guitar hero drum set it would sound like this.
  • Angélica Garcia: Aggressive, distorted and unapologetic. I sometimes find Spanish experimental music can sound a bit dated and doesn't push as many boundaries as I'd like it to, but Angélica is killing it. This is unique, epic and unpredictable.
  • The Dare: Arguably awful but so catchy. The most cancelable artist and also least cancelable artist I've heard in a while. Confidence Man vibes but blended with James Murphy's early solo tapes.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Fabrizzo said:

It is almost certain that the canceled name will be the National (perfect dates) but it seems really strange to create hype for an announcement like this, names like Pet Shop Boys, Beck Phoenix have been announced at Ciutat without any problem...

It would be sensational if it were a name not present in the lineup or some  unexpected reunion

I imagine it's because they didn't want to take away attention from other ciutat names by attracting criticism for booking an act who are already playing that is already complained about for being booked too often.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I imagine it's because they didn't want to take away attention from other ciutat names by attracting criticism for booking an act who are already playing that is already complained about for being booked too often.

I reckon it’s as simple as the age old PR trick to get people talking about this mysterious missing act. Santander must be writing quite a big cheque for sponsorship (certainly covering The National’s fee) and as such they don't want Ciutat to go under the radar. 

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I reckon it’s as simple as the age old PR trick to get people talking about this mysterious missing act. Santander must be writing quite a big cheque for sponsorship (certainly covering The National’s fee) and as such they don't want Ciutat to go under the radar. 

Yeah and this element too of course.

15 minutes ago, Mr. B said:

Apologies if already answered, but are there tickets available for Ciutat for purchase (ie without need for queue). And if so, when / how? Thanks!

it will be the same as last year: you'll be able to book a ticket via Dice for 10 Euro and this will be refunded to your festival account as a deposit or to your bank account later. The venue splits were announced on May 5 tickets sales started May 11 (May 9 for VIP tickets). It was pretty easy to book before sold out, even with a regular ticket and for Pet Shop Boys and Darkside small shows.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, aaalive said:

it will be the same as last year: you'll be able to book a ticket via Dice for 10 Euro and this will be refunded to your festival account as a deposit or to your bank account later. The venue splits were announced on May 5 tickets sales started May 11 (May 9 for VIP tickets). It was pretty easy to book before sold out, even with a regular ticket and for Pet Shop Boys and Darkside small shows.

Fab - thanks!

On 1/29/2024 at 3:07 PM, Drums Please Fab said:

What sort of a gimp downvotes a post merely pining for some good bands. Gobshite.

It's just getting a bit old the constant whining about bands that aren't there, when instead you could be focusing on the bands that are playing. Yeah it would have been nice if the bands you listed were playing but they aren't so best to get over it really

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Rosh_Bothman said:

It's just getting a bit old the constant whining about bands that aren't there, when instead you could be focusing on the bands that are playing. Yeah it would have been nice if the bands you listed were playing but they aren't so best to get over it really

With you on this. Who knows why they didn't book them but there are a tonne of valid reasons why they might not be able to make it work and they don't control bands' touring routes.

If they booked these bands but not Pulp, PJ Harvey and Justice, there'd be complaining about that instead.

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, xxialac said:

With you on this. Who knows why they didn't book them but there are a tonne of valid reasons why they might not be able to make it work and they don't control bands' touring routes.

If they booked these bands but not Pulp, PJ Harvey and Justice, there'd be complaining about that instead.

Yeah it just gets very tiring reading the same unfounded criticism over and over again.

If there is one thing wrong with this board its that people base their arguments on absolutely absurd expectations and then complain if they aren't fulfilled.

Like sure, The Smile and Massive Attack are missing, but are you going to complain about Vampire Weekend, Pulp, The National and Beth Gibbons missing from Northside, who has the former? It is in the nature of festivals that they cannot book everything and if you'd personally liked other acts, go to another fest.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2