Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

2 hours ago, emmanuel said:

I said overlooking, not approving actions.

The "some rock star did worse" deflection used on Arcade Fire fan forums doesn't work at all in the outside world I'm afraid. I think you've only made my point more clear, I don't want to be part of any of that if that's the type of banter fans have at their shows. 

I hope you (or someone you love) never get accused of something by un-named sources and then furthermore the issue gets compounded by anonymous people all over the internet want you to lose your job and have you boycotted before you have been given your due process. 

"banter at shows". Give over will ya. 

Your painting it as if when the opening chords to "wake up" ring out I turn to my friends and proclaim "isn't it great he got away with all the raping".

As I alluded to earlier on in the thread, there is a lot of artists on the primavera lineup this year that I have never heard of. Other posters have encouraged me to give them all a listen and find new acts to enjoy. Thats good advice.

Now in conjunction with listening to these bands....Do I have to wikipedia each artist as I listen and make sure they haven't slapped the wife around in the past, paid all their parking tickets on time and never kicked a dog?

Or can I just tap my toes when I hear a beat that I like regardless of who's making the beat?

8 minutes ago, BA_Barrabus said:

any new recommendations from people's undercard analysis?

If I had to choose for each main day one smallest-font name I hadn't known a month ago and I'd like to see now, I'd say:

Thursday - Voxtrot

Friday - Silica Gel

Saturday - Merina Gris

This selection is very preliminary, there's still a lot of new music to discover.

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Now in conjunction with listening to these bands....Do I have to wikipedia each artist as I listen and make sure they haven't slapped the wife around in the past, paid all their parking tickets on time and never kicked a dog?

Or can I just tap my toes when I hear a beat that I like regardless of who's making the beat?

I realise that you are prodding for a reaction*, but the phrase 'slapped the wife around' has no place on this forum and neither does equating violent, domestic abuse with non payment of parking fines.

*Is this what the young people call trolling?

• Upvote 16

2 hours ago, Valbork said:

I realise that you are prodding for a reaction*, but the phrase 'slapped the wife around' has no place on this forum and neither does equating violent, domestic abuse with non payment of parking fines.

*Is this what the young people call trolling?

It's a colourfully worded sentence in order to highlight the nonsense contention of another poster that they would be ill at ease at a festival where Arcade Fire were playing. As if the rest of the gallery in attendance are rapists and criminals by proxy. It's hyperbolic snowflakery of a most conceited nature.

I didn't equate anything with anything. You did.  Im musing on which societal transgressions an artist can commit which renders them beyond the pale in the eyes of the puritan mob. 

Separate the art from the artist. It's much easier that way....ask the holier than thou "erudite" Rick and Morty fans who don't know what to do with themselves now.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, BA_Barrabus said:

any new recommendations from people's undercard analysis?

I noted:

Voxtrot

Balmin Tiger

Wiegedood

Mannequin Pussy

Duster

Gel

Space Afrika

Scowl

Charlemagne Palestine

Brutus

Teki LaTeX

Water from your Eyes

Dj fart in the club

Channel One

Wolf Eyes

Sophia Chablau

Monolake

Model/Actriz

Militarie Gun

• Upvote 3

On 12/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, Whos3000_ said:

Why are we talking about arcade fire btw? These guys are irrelevant anyway in 2024 and I would not go see them 

Arcade Fire are much more relevant in 2024 than Strokes were in 2022. And, talking about Primavera, they have a very good history with the festival.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:03 AM, Drums Please Fab said:

I hope you (or someone you love) never get accused of something by un-named sources and then furthermore the issue gets compounded by anonymous people all over the internet want you to lose your job and have you boycotted before you have been given your due process. 

This!

I'm not Win Butler's lawyer, I don't know if he's guilty, innocent, or just an idiot. However, I didn't see the same criteria about Travis Scott (pages and pages about his possible headline), an adult who was jumping on stage with his little friend Drake while an ambulance was on the pit, and you know what happened that day.

6 hours ago, joselito said:

Arcade Fire are much more relevant in 2024 than Strokes were in 2022. And, talking about Primavera, they have a very good history with the festival.

I don't know what criteria you use for relevance, but I think people tend to oversee the acclaim and popularity The New Abnormal received, including Grammy win etc. The Adults are Talking alone has much more streams than all songs of WE combined and more than twice as many as any Arcade Fire song ever released. A lot of my friends, who are in their 20's started to listen to The Strokes around that time, because of that song.

Obviously streams aren't everything, but I would also argue the critical reception of The New Abnormal was better than Everything Now and We, so I don't know on what your statement is based.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MrTobs said:

I don't know what criteria you use for relevance, but I think people tend to oversee the acclaim and popularity The New Abnormal received, including Grammy win etc. The Adults are Talking alone has much more streams than all songs of WE combined and more than twice as many as any Arcade Fire song ever released. A lot of my friends, who are in their 20's started to listen to The Strokes around that time, because of that song.

Obviously streams aren't everything, but I would also argue the critical reception of The New Abnormal was better than Everything Now and We, so I don't know on what your statement is based.

Streams aren´t everything, that´s the point. In my opinion, We is a good album, better than Everything Now. About the Strokes, what relevant they did after... Room on Fire?

My criteria, talking about a festival, is performance. Every Arcade Fire gig is insane, they know how to do that. Saw Strokes in 2022 and i think it was on of the most boring gigs of my life. Julian talking a lot, and the rest of the band waiting to that finish fast to go home. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, joselito said:

Streams aren´t everything, that´s the point. In my opinion, We is a good album, better than Everything Now. About the Strokes, what relevant they did after... Room on Fire?

My criteria, talking about a festival, is performance. Every Arcade Fire gig is insane, they know how to do that. Saw Strokes in 2022 and i think it was on of the most boring gigs of my life. Julian talking a lot, and the rest of the band waiting to that finish fast to go home. 

I mean, I stated in the post you are quoting what relevant output The Strokes had after Room on Fire, at least with The New Abnormal, the album they were booked for initially in 2020, and in the end 2022 because of Covid. And in my opinion very rightfully so, they gained lots of younger fans in recent years too.

And I agree their live-sets are a bit hit or miss, but I think in general people here on the forum were rather positive about their performance.

And while I really used to love Arcade Fire and their live-perfomances are great, no one around me cares about them anymore. Everything Now and We aren’t bad albums, but they weren't received very positive or to any sort of acclaim either. So no reason for a festival like Primavera to book them, aside all the other stuff that's going on. And especially no reason to go on talking about them for pages.

So on another note, I'm a little surprised they didn't go for Doja Cat, since she's around and was on the poster for 2020, if I recall correctly. But maybe sth didn't work out or they thought with Lana and SZA there are enough big pop-ish acts in the top line.

Also I reeeally hope they add Chastity Belt, Beach Fossils and Sampha to the line-up or for Ciutat-gigs, especially CB, since they are at BKS and they are free on the monday and tuesday I think, otherwise I'm very happy with the line-up.

1 hour ago, joselito said:

Win Butler has already admitted to doing things that would make most of us lose their jobs, that's not even about allegations. Whether that are some bands that are more boring or creepier than them is irrelevant.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

Win Butler has already admitted to doing things that would make most of us lose their jobs, that's not even about allegations. Whether that are some bands that are more boring or creepier than them is irrelevant.

Why would you lose your job if you had consensual extramarital relations? The most you could lose would be your marriage.

16 minutes ago, joselito said:

Why would you lose your job if you had consensual extramarital relations? The most you could lose would be your marriage.

Because of the creepy power dynamics that he used for his benefit obviously. For example as a professor you are usually not allowed to have consensual relationships with students, even if you don't grade them. And especially not hitting them up via instagram, inviting them over and promising them things, that have something to do with your and their position, so completely misusing your power over them.

Edited by MrTobs
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Arcade Fire are maybe on their lowest in popularity since around Neon Bible, We was far from a commerical success and their tours have seen attendance drop continously. Don't get me wrong, I used to love them (ffs I have the Funeral cover tattoo'd on my ribs) but their last relevant material is from 10 years ago. And doing victory lap tours on older material really is fine, but with integral band members leaving, making it an ever-increasing Win Butler project and him having behaved so despicably in the past years, I just don't care for them anymore. And this feeling is echoed by all my friends who used to love them. They are just gonna go down the Smashing Pumpkins path: Legends of their time, whose output at some point was just hardcore-fan service and an excuse to tour the old stuff, being booked for upper middle-slots at fests.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1