Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

What I feel like is that this line-up stopped a constant evolution that Primavera was experiencing from the first New Normal lineup until last year. They created spaces for K-pop fans, J-pop fans, Afrobeat fans, etc. only for those 3 genres (and probably other more) to not be represented on the lineup this year. It's not a bad lineup but it does feel like we're going backwards. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, diogozsz said:

What I feel like is that this line-up stopped a constant evolution that Primavera was experiencing from the first New Normal lineup until last year. They created spaces for K-pop fans, J-pop fans, Afrobeat fans, etc. only for those 3 genres (and probably other more) to not be represented on the lineup this year. It's not a bad lineup but it does feel like we're going backwards. 

Let's see if this lineup works, I guess if they don't manage to attract people they will have to change the strategy and maybe go again a bit more commercial. Also depends on the acts, maybe next year there are not that many regaetton, k-pop and afrobeat artists touring that were available for Primavera. 

Not bringing for example BABYMETAL and NewJeans still feels like a HUGE miss for me. Sometimes you only need one artist from a genre to bring more people to the festival - it happened last year with Red Velvet so I'm really confused about why that formula is suddenly being ditched. 

Edited by diogozsz

14 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

Nah, 2023 had better and more unique/bigger headliners (Blur, Rosalia, Kendrick, Depeche Mode, Ghost, PSB/New Order/War On Drugs/Darkside,...) and a slightly better/more stacked undercard too. 

Agree with you completely.

For me 2022>2023>2024

But that doesn't mean 2024 is bad. I doubt there will be a better poster anywhere.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yes, I felt the same. Instinct says we have lost a stage.

either that, or that plan for boiler room or other electronic stuff will come later, like in the past with bits. I think less stages, last year they add to make up to losing bits (which, IIRC, was planned to happen and dropped after lineup was built), this year they can plan better to smaller area

36 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

Nah, 2023 had better and more unique/bigger headliners (Blur, Rosalia, Kendrick, Depeche Mode, Ghost, PSB/New Order/War On Drugs/Darkside,...) and a slightly better/more stacked undercard too. 

Disagree massively tbh, but that's ok, festivals would be boring if we all thought every year was great.

1 hour ago, katyaz said:

Yeah this is clear to me.

Plus so many complaints in 2022 that it was oversold/way too busy. Thursday wasn't great but imo it was fine on Friday and Saturday. Busy, yes of course it was. So what do people want? A huge lineup means you need to sell more tickets, which means more people. But people don't like that!

2022 was horribly over sold and was a completely different experience from the other 6 editions I attended 2011 - 2016.  The "vibe" was stone dead.  There's a "Thursday was horrible but Friday and Saturday in 2022 were mostly OK" myth - I memorably watched each of Beck and Parquet Courts from absolutely miles away from their respective stages on the Friday, and on the Saturday I waited almost an hour for a drink at the Ray Ban when Wet Leg were on, and the crowd crush during the changeover between Nick Cave and Gorillaz was outright dangerous.  Just examples that immediately come to mind when I think of situations that were unpleasant. 

Do we know (broadly) what sales were like in 2023?  Possibly tricky to make a direct comparison as the site was smaller?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

2022 was horribly over sold and was a completely different experience from the other 6 editions I attended 2011 - 2016.  The "vibe" was stone dead.  There's a "Thursday was horrible but Friday and Saturday in 2022 were mostly OK" myth - I memorably watched each of Beck and Parquet Courts from absolutely miles away from their respective stages on the Friday, and on the Saturday I waited almost an hour for a drink at the Ray Ban when Wet Leg were on, and the crowd crush during the changeover between Nick Cave and Gorillaz was outright dangerous.  Just examples that immediately come to mind when I think of situations that were unpleasant. 

Do we know (broadly) what sales were like in 2023?  Possibly tricky to make a direct comparison as the site was smaller?

Nor sure on sales but Weekend 2 of 2022 was grand for space and this year was also grand. 

And 2024 should be grand, given the (relative lack of) commerciality of the names.

9 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

I was in that Gorillaz crush as well. It really was dangerous. No wavebreakers and people pushing in all directions. That thursday really was let's say special... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, festivalguy97 said:

I really hope that one of the main names (Lana, SZA and Pulp) don't cancel. There will be cancelations for sure if one of those cancels idk why are they going to do. And Lana is notorious for showing up late or cancelling a whole tour

They can always promote Stella Maris to headliner status.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nicolaspepsi said:

Depeche Mode, blur and kendrick are by faaaar more popular than any of the headliners, sell more tickets, etc. Also rosalia in his style of music the same. Is weird, i hope they will introduce another headliner.

I agree, but part of that was only possible because of the double editions and because they wanted to promote the Madrid edition. The investors must've put huge sums into that without which, this combination wouldn't have been possible

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

either that, or that plan for boiler room or other electronic stuff will come later, like in the past with bits. I think less stages, last year they add to make up to losing bits (which, IIRC, was planned to happen and dropped after lineup was built), this year they can plan better to smaller area

I didn’t go last year but from a quick comparison I think the first poster last year covered two main stages, Amazon Music, Ron Brugal, Cupra, Plenitude, Dice, Auditori, Pull & Bear and The Warehouse, with as you say Boiler Room coming later. There’s still plenty of electronic stuff in the bottom two sections which I guess might fill Pull & Bear and The Warehouse but that leaves plenty of gaps elsewhere. I think @diogozsz’s suggestion of them adding more names once they’re at the final tier, which I think they did in 2021, seems possible. Would be a shame to lose a stage but wouldn’t be hugely surprised.

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

At 150 acts, you'll always have some dropouts. Just hope its nothing big or special.

The one that will hurt them most likely is LDR, but I'd be staggered if she's not the one with an obvious contingency somewhere. As artists who can be something of a liability go, she is up there.

10 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

The one that will hurt them most likely is LDR, but I'd be staggered if she's not the one with an obvious contingency somewhere. As artists who can be something of a liability go, she is up there.

It would be very dangerous if she cancelled being the biggest name on the lineup. All of my friends would only go mainly for her, plus tons of people that I know that would love to see her, so hopefully she doesn't cancel.