Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

17 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

Hip-hop headliner - I'm sure it's Travis.

I can't see them going from headlining Bingley live at Bingley Rugby Club, with The Zutons, in 2022 to Headlining Primavera. 
Why does it always rain on me was alright, but they're a bit bland and Middle of the Road for Primavera, and haven't done anything relevant in well more than 20 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I don't really disagree, but I find it weird that everyone assumes Travis Scott to be likely and The Cure to be unlikely when there is the same evidence for both: none.

I think to have a proper discussion, we gotta come back to actual indicators not just "would be a good fit" if we have no idea if they are touring Europe.

Right now, PJ Harvey, Pulp, The National and Kali Uchis are the only headline level names there is any proper indication for. Travis Scott, Sza, The Cure, Massive Attack, Tool, The Smile, Bad Bunny, Karol G and so on are all acts that make sense, but none of those could be called a rumour yet

The evidence is that there are Travis Scott dates yet to be announced next year from reliable sources. There isn't such for the cure.

7 minutes ago, quentin_Tent said:

I can't see them going from headlining Bingley live at Bingley Rugby Club, with The Zutons, in 2022 to Headlining Primavera. 
Why does it always rain on me was alright, but they're a bit bland and Middle of the Road for Primavera, and haven't done anything relevant in well more than 20 years.

Great joke mate, did you think of that all by yourself?

29 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I'm also guessing we'll get another unexpected rock/metal act as a sub headliner and I have a feeling it might be a grunge/grunge-adjacent act. Don't ask me why.

You know something! Could you perhaps give us another clue? 🙏

Edited by pipan

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I don't really disagree, but I find it weird that everyone assumes Travis Scott to be likely and The Cure to be unlikely when there is the same evidence for both: none.

I think to have a proper discussion, we gotta come back to actual indicators not just "would be a good fit" if we have no idea if they are touring Europe.

Right now, PJ Harvey, Pulp, The National and Kali Uchis are the only headline level names there is any proper indication for. Travis Scott, Sza, The Cure, Massive Attack, Tool, The Smile, Bad Bunny, Karol G and so on are all acts that make sense, but none of those could be called a rumour yet

You're right, it's mostly guesses - which is a good thing. The lineup will probably have a decent few surprises. 

The Travis one is for a few reasons though. He's on a bit of a comeback run in terms of touring and he's due an EU tour for the new album. The album was well received and it's a bit of a deduction exercise, as on the surface there doesn't seem to be many options right now for a good hip-hop headliner than haven't played the festival recently and that have a new album. There could be someone like ASAP Rocky or Childish Gambino that have an upcoming album but my best guess is Travis Scott.

17 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

You're right, it's mostly guesses - which is a good thing. The lineup will probably have a decent few surprises. 

The Travis one is for a few reasons though. He's on a bit of a comeback run in terms of touring and he's due an EU tour for the new album. The album was well received and it's a bit of a deduction exercise, as on the surface there doesn't seem to be many options right now for a good hip-hop headliner than haven't played the festival recently and that have a new album. There could be someone like ASAP Rocky or Childish Gambino that have an upcoming album but my best guess is Travis Scott.

But the thing with this deduction ist: This is our logic, not the one of the festival. Booking doesn't work like that, if you can't make hip hop names happen, you can't make them happen. Travis Scott could play Governors Ball for all we know.

49 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I'm also guessing we'll get another unexpected rock/metal act as a sub headliner and I have a feeling it might be a grunge/grunge-adjacent act. Don't ask me why.

You mean Kid Cudi?

Edited by Quadrophobia

17 minutes ago, pipan said:

You know something! Could you perhaps give us another clue? 🙏

Lol. I hope I haven't given the impression that I have some inside knowledge. I'm just a music-obsessed idiot online making guesses out of excitement. I think a few Grunge(-y) bands have been on some posters in the US, some with EU tours. IIRC Alice in Chains and Mudhoney in the US late this year and then Smashing Pumpkins & Pearl Jam who are actually touring Europe. I know some here aren't too excited about some of these bands but I love all their early music and like some newer stuff.

7 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

But the thing with this deduction ist: This is our logic, not the one of the festival. Booking doesn't work like that, if you can't make hip hop names happen, you can't make them happen. Travis Scott could play Governors Ball for all we know.

You mean Kid Cudi?

Again that's a fair point. Anyway we'll find out soon hopefully. My money is still on him! 

Kudi to perform Speedin Bullet in full - confirmed.

1 hour ago, UsernameHere said:

Pop headliner - I think SZA is the most likely for this slot and selfishly I hope it's her.

Electronic headliner - Massive Attack feels like a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, same as Portishead. Jungle seem most likely. I'll hope they've also looked at Chems/AFX/Moderat but let's see.

Hip-hop headliner - I'm sure it's Travis.

Latin headliner - Bad Bunny will be tricky/expensive to pull off but I have no doubt Primavera will have tried so it comes down to whether he's willing to do festivals because it's less effort logistically as it's a smaller show. 1 of C Tangana/J Balvin/Rauw Alejandro/Karol G will be booked if Bad Bunny isn't available. 

Others - The Cure (I hoped so but no evidence. Likely not). Pulp, PJ, The Smile - locked imo. Pixies maybe back in. Fontaines again, or Grian solo? Sufjan's new album is beautiful. He's another pipe-dream sadly.

Smaller hip-hop - I reckon Clipse do an EU tour and Pusha has a great relationship with the festival so I guess they make it happen. Benny the Butcher likely. Billy Woods maybe. Danny Brown should return with the upcoming album.

I love the fact that we don't know too much this year. I'm mostly guessing. It's exciting!

Janes Addiction and or Tool as potential rock acts if they can be classed as that. As you’ve mentioned The Smashing Pumpkins touring too which I would love however I wouldn’t be surprised if they play Mad Cool.

• Upvote 1

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

what do you mean sorry? Tool are gonna be in Europe around PS from sources.

Like Tool are in the same boat as Travis Scott in the sense they both have reliable rumours that they’ll be in Europe next summer so can be classed as at least rumours, possibly weak rumours but there’s a bit of evidence there more so than The Cure/Lana. 

8 minutes ago, foolee said:

Like Tool are in the same boat as Travis Scott in the sense they both have reliable rumours that they’ll be in Europe next summer so can be classed as at least rumours, possibly weak rumours but there’s a bit of evidence there more so than The Cure/Lana. 

my bad, gotcha

46 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

Lol. I hope I haven't given the impression that I have some inside knowledge. I'm just a music-obsessed idiot online making guesses out of excitement. I think a few Grunge(-y) bands have been on some posters in the US, some with EU tours. IIRC Alice in Chains and Mudhoney in the US late this year and then Smashing Pumpkins & Pearl Jam who are actually touring Europe. I know some here aren't too excited about some of these bands but I love all their early music and like some newer stuff.

My bad, I read too much into "guessing" being in italics. I'm probably just too desperate for any leak.

Smashing Pumpkins (sadly) won't be there, that's been already confirmed by Gabi. I'd love to have Pearl Jam, but I realize it's not very likely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

If they are booking The National, I don't see a problem of booking Dua Lipa either with her new album and show. 

I understand the "pop diva" slot is open to many options , meanwhile, you don't have many bands as The National to play as headliners, and they are a PS "Classic" band. That's why. 

1 hour ago, Whos3000_ said:

Ad I said in one of my previous posts, I’ve been told by a  source I consider reliable that Massive attack will be on tour and that, if they are on tour, they will do primavera. 
I hope this doesn’t prove wrong 

Do you think that because of the human loss that the band had recently it could change their plans? 

5 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Just wanted to say that whilst I think Primavera might have got them, Mad Cool also starts 11-13th July, which is right next to their Edinburgh Castle gig 11th July, so they could be at either.

image.png.db820bfa4fa8650e7172ce6fc2f2edd7.png

The National played Madrid last fall while skipping Barcelona, so PS seems more likely over Mad Cool.