Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

40 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Seldomnly happens, only one I can think of was Fred Again the two previous years, which was justified by a) him growing in size tremendously and b) the shuffles of Post-Covid.

Ofc theres those that are always there like Shellac or who appear (or used to appear) in various constellations like Bradford Cox, but originality is something PS values highly and I think it would be highly unlikely for most acts to appear two years in a row.

However, PP was supposed to play in 2022 if I remember correctly and cancelled which she made up for this year? Then there'd be a chance.

I think Caroline Polachek, Black Country, New Road, Yung Lean and Drain Gang also played 2022 and 2023, but yeah, I think it was mostly due to Post-Covid-shuffles as you said.

Would love them to book one of the members of Drain Gang solo tho, they should be there every year from now on imo^^.

7 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

With Faye Webster, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Mitski and IceAge as the first ones that I guess are pretty much nailed on. I think we're off to a pretty good start!

I have a feeling that it is going to be a much better year (not only for Primavera but for all the European festivals) than 2023 or even 2022, maybe the best one since pre-covid. A lot of exciting artists are going to tour next year and I feel that it’s going to be a solid and consistent year.

Yes to some, Bad Bunny, Travis Scott or Karol G seem like terrible artists to book but I still think that even if they book all of these (or part of them) they will still have a good mix of artists at the end. I really think that Gabi and Co. had to bring Calvin Harris/Halsey plus some other questionable bookings because there weren’t many exciting “big” acts touring around last summer, in general it was a crap year for all the European festivals.

Contrarian here and am (relatively) concerned for next year.

Blur, Kendrick, Depeche, New Order and Rosalia were either great heritage acts or artists on top of their game and I'm not yet convinced there are such strong headliners around in 2024. 

On the other hand, the undercard is where my heart is and bound to be five stars as always.

27 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

I have a feeling that it is going to be a much better year (not only for Primavera but for all the European festivals) than 2023 or even 2022, maybe the best one since pre-covid. A lot of exciting artists are going to tour next year and I feel that it’s going to be a solid and consistent year.

Yes to some, Bad Bunny, Travis Scott or Karol G seem like terrible artists to book but I still think that even if they book all of these (or part of them) they will still have a good mix of artists at the end. I really think that Gabi and Co. had to bring Calvin Harris/Halsey plus some other questionable bookings because there weren’t many exciting “big” acts touring around last summer, in general it was a crap year for all the European festivals.

Personally I don't think anything will beat Pavement, The Strokes, Nick Cave, Autechre, Tame Impala, King Gizzard, Gorillaz, Shame, Idles, Black Midi, Beach House, Pond, Parquet Courts, Wet Leg, Dinosaur Jr, Beach Bunny, Black Lips, Fred Again, The National, Warpaint, Beck, Fontaines DC, Porrige Radio, Tropical f**k Storm, Caroline Polachek, Lightning Bolt, Tyler The Cteartor, Diiv, Jawbox, Bauhaus, King Krule,... of Weekend1 in 2022 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boss89 said:

Personally I don't think anything will beat Pavement, The Strokes, Nick Cave, Autechre, Tame Impala, King Gizzard, Gorillaz, Shame, Idles, Black Midi, Beach House, Pond, Parquet Courts, Wet Leg, Dinosaur Jr, Beach Bunny, Black Lips, Fred Again, The National, Warpaint, Beck, Fontaines DC, Porrige Radio, Tropical f**k Storm, Caroline Polachek, Lightning Bolt, Tyler The Cteartor, Diiv, Jawbox, Bauhaus, King Krule,... of Weekend1 in 2022 

There are certainly some dream bookings that would top this for me personally. But yeah, 2022 was vintage.

There is a bunch or Artists I expect to only be able to see at PS if ever.

Grouper, The Microphones/Mount Eerie - Would be perfect for Auditori, both rarely tour and would only really work at festivals with appropriate indoor stages.
The Radio Dept - I think they last tourd 2016 (and played the Hidden Stage). Afaik they don't like the "commercial" touring circuit so they don't do it much.
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell Tour was beautiful, though I don't think he'll really tour Javelin considering everything
DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - Dunno if she ever plays live, but if so, PS is gonna be one of the first to grab her, I'm sure
Parannoul - Their Live Album is magnificient. As they are so far off the standard industry-touring-cycle it would take special efforts to get them to play, but if a fest can pull that off, its PS
Joanna Newsom - Really sorta the same as Sufjan.

In terms of whats new this year, I'd love to see feeble little Horse, Model / Actriz, Maruja, Oneohtrix Point Never, yeule, Sprain, The Armed, Genesis Owusu, deathcrash, Anohni, Julie Byrne (!), Geese, Snow Strippers, Protomartyr, Shallou, Daughter, Midwife,  and Strange Ranger

Also Slowdive and Blonde Redhead for the 90s Shoegaze/Dream Pop. And damn I need Wilco to be at PS, its been ages. And bring The Clientele while you're there.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

What’s the status on the Radiohead reunion? Is it happening at all at some point? Cause if it’s happening (either now or in 2/3 years) I think Primavera will be exclusive, unless they don’t do festivals 

Same for LCD Soundsystem. 

The Smile (LP2) touring in 2024 and Radiohead in 2025/2026?

This one's optimistic.

(And just came out of the swamp.)

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

What’s the status on the Radiohead reunion? Is it happening at all at some point? Cause if it’s happening (either now or in 2/3 years) I think Primavera will be exclusive, unless they don’t do festivals 

Jonny Greenwood was interviewed earlier in the year and said there's no timeline for Radiohead yet. I'd expect The Smile again before Radiohead come back around.

LCD Soundsystem have announced NYC shows for December and had EU dates pencilled in this year that didn't happen, so they're potentially active next year.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

Contrarian here and am (relatively) concerned for next year.

Blur, Kendrick, Depeche, New Order and Rosalia were either great heritage acts or artists on top of their game and I'm not yet convinced there are such strong headliners around in 2024. 

On the other hand, the undercard is where my heart is and bound to be five stars as always.

I think some of these came kind of out of the blue though. I reckon we'll get some good headliners that none of us are thinking of now as they haven't announced European tours yet. I certainly wasn't predicting Depeche Mode or New Order last year.

31 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

We'll get The Smile again next year I think - as long as their tour dates for the 2nd album line up. Radiohead is probably 2 or 3 years away unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Boss89 said:

Blur, The War On Drugs, Kendrick Lamar, Pet Shop Boys, Rosalia, New Order, Ghost, Depeche Mode, Turnstile, St Vincent, The Mars Volta, My Morning Jacket, Four Tet/Fred Again/Skrillex, Darkside, Sparks, Caroline Polachek, The Moldy Peaches, Death Grips, Black Country New Road, Alvvays, Built To Spill, CATQ, NxWorries, Bad Religion, John Cale, Japanse Breakfast, Loyle Carner, Alex G,... has a similar ring to it though.

2 brilliant lineups in a row. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I think Radiohead will come back soon and certainly no later than 2025. Their last tour was 2018 and before then they played every year since 1991 (!) with the exception of 2013-15.

Conclusion - they enjoy playing.

they never stop playing, just in other constellations... In any case, 24 seems too early- Jonny is currently touring with Dudu Tassa and after that the rumors point to second Smile album, so hopefully 2025 (and give us The Smile, for those 2022 weekend 1 folks that missed them!)

15 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

they never stop playing, just in other constellations... In any case, 24 seems too early- Jonny is currently touring with Dudu Tassa and after that the rumors point to second Smile album, so hopefully 2025 (and give us The Smile, for those 2022 weekend 1 folks that missed them!)

The Smile on the RayBan stage was indeed a f**king awesome moment. 
it wasn’t even overpacked. 
just great. 

• Upvote 2