BBC Coverage 2023

gooner1990

23 minutes ago, trust1878 said:

I'm surprised Cat Stevens was booked considering his comments on Salman Rushdie but hey, I suppose most people care about the music only.

Yep, that & the fact that he openly supports the oppression of LGBT+ people too… But hey ho, he’s all about ‘peace’ - as long as it suits his agenda. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yep, that & the fact that he openly supports the oppression of LGBT+ people too… But hey ho, he’s all about ‘peace’ - as long as it suits his agenda. 

Not to mention the whole 'wishing Salman Rushdie to be burnt alive/executed' thing...

Just now, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

But he’s all about ‘peace’, don’t forget! 

Shame on Glastonbury for booking him. I will concede that Wild World is a damn tune though. 

I was kind of hoping to see at least one Salmon Rushdie/rainbow flag right at the front of the stage but I bet he would have thrown a tantrum and refused to play until it was confiscated.

2 hours ago, ICESTONE said:

This, the flag waving pro-gun pro-republican is abhorrent if you listen or read some of the lyrics, the jingoistic stuff is cringe a best, which is a shame as some superb musicians get lost in the bullshit.

Wouldn't assume that cause the Chicks are country they're pro-gun/pro-republican, kinda the opposite - they were literally blacklisted from country radio stations in the early 00's for being too critical of George bush.

2 hours ago, ICESTONE said:

This, the flag waving pro-gun pro-republican is abhorrent if you listen or read some of the lyrics, the jingoistic stuff is cringe a best, which is a shame as some superb musicians get lost in the bullshit.

This whole discourse is funny when referring to the Chicks because of course they stuck their neck out during the George W Bush presidency and attacked him about Iraq, leading them to be pilloried and excommunicated from the alt-country fold. They took a break from music for a while, and eventually changed their name from the Dixie Chicks partly because of this, but mostly due to the negative associations (Dixie = the Confederacy = racist heritage). So I am all here in agreement with wider country music rightwing issue, but the Chicks shouldn't be lumped in (if indeed this was the intent, I'm not sure it was). 

EDIT TO SAY: Acid_Haze just beat me to the same point. Chapeau!

Edited by scmusic
Another poster made the same point