Staying Nearby the Night Before

Time Being

We are staying in Shepton Mallet on the Tues for the first time and hoping it will make Wed morning all the more chill. Curious of anyone's experiences with this or similar. Were you able to reach car parks fairly easily on Wed morning? Or does it not make much of a difference because the worst of traffic would still in between you and the car parks?

what time are planning to get to the carpark?

traffic will be bad, unless you go very early, I used to try and get there around 3-4am on Wednesday and we still had long queues to park and long queues to get in.

Getting in Tuesday night is one of the few ways to avoid the queues

1 hour ago, wweerr208 said:

what time are planning to get to the carpark?

traffic will be bad, unless you go very early, I used to try and get there around 3-4am on Wednesday and we still had long queues to park and long queues to get in.

Getting in Tuesday night is one of the few ways to avoid the queues

Still not sure. 8am-12pm range probably. Avoiding the overnight thing as we will have our 2-year old with us. Also trying to minimize time waiting in the queue for that reason. But trying to balance those criteria vs excitement to get on site and begin bimbling.

2 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Bit of both but still can save hours and stress. Not sure any of the shortcutty tricks work anymore now most everyone comes Wednesday.

The part I bolded is the goal, hopefully it pans out.

done it a few times staying in Chedder, had no problems at all arriving around lunch but you'll prob struggle to get in cockmills if that's your plan would get into wickets ok though.

Edited by bigbilly

14 hours ago, bigbilly said:

done it a few times staying in Chedder, had no problems at all arriving around lunch but you'll prob struggle to get in cockmills if that's your plan would get into wickets ok though.

Good to hear. Unfortunately, staying in Cockmills went out the window when we found out we would need to collect our tickets at gate A due to the new overseas ticket shipping policy. Fortunately, we bagged a tipi in a resale.

In a similar boat of staying about 40 mins away night before, in two minds about trying to get there as early as possible near 8am gates opening or just taking our time with it and arriving closer to 9/10. Will we notice much of a difference in the initial hours?

1 minute ago, Dan :D said:

In a similar boat of staying about 40 mins away night before, in two minds about trying to get there as early as possible near 8am gates opening or just taking our time with it and arriving closer to 9/10. Will we notice much of a difference in the initial hours?

No, it'll be a shitshow until lunchtime.

1 hour ago, Time Being said:

Good to hear. Unfortunately, staying in Cockmills went out the window when we found out we would need to collect our tickets at gate A due to the new overseas ticket shipping policy. Fortunately, we bagged a tipi in a resale.

Happy days then mate. I personally wouldn't worry about it, no need for camping panic roll up at lunch after a good nights sleep to the TIPI!, bit of a walk to the TIPS though! 

This is our plan too. I think we're going to try to have an early night and hopefully get to the site a couple hours before gates open. Although granted we won't have kids with us which definitely makes things a bit easier! If we'd decided to take my step son I probably would have aimed to get to site later in the day on the Wednesday in hope the queues had quietened. Although I think half the time it's just luck! 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Get up, have brekkie, wait for the madness to die down and roll up at 1pm.

Sounds like a solid plan

1 hour ago, bigbilly said:

Happy days then mate. I personally wouldn't worry about it, no need for camping panic roll up at lunch after a good nights sleep to the TIPI!, bit of a walk to the TIPS though! 

For sure. Done the Gate A to top of Pennard a few times, but this will be a new adventure with child and their gear. Appreciate your advice!

31 minutes ago, Time Being said:

Sounds like a solid plan

For sure. Done the Gate A to top of Pennard a few times, but this will be a new adventure with child and their gear. Appreciate your advice!

We had a great all terrain buggy that I bought off Ebay. Used it one year to take my lad then after that used to take it to carry my stuff in it was ace. You'll be quite close to the kids field in the greenpeace area which is pretty cool and a lot more chill then the main kids field. My lad was one when we took him, weather was absolutely terrible( U2 night) and we spent most of our time in the tent run by midwifes for little kids, proper sorted us out ha 

17 hours ago, bigbilly said:

We had a great all terrain buggy that I bought off Ebay. Used it one year to take my lad then after that used to take it to carry my stuff in it was ace. You'll be quite close to the kids field in the greenpeace area which is pretty cool and a lot more chill then the main kids field. My lad was one when we took him, weather was absolutely terrible( U2 night) and we spent most of our time in the tent run by midwifes for little kids, proper sorted us out ha 

Sounds like quite the adventure! Appreciate the tip on the greenpeace kids field. Genuinely excited to check out some of these new areas this time around.

On 6/7/2023 at 11:40 AM, Dan :D said:

Depends if you're bothered about where you camp....if not, I would be more inclined to leave it till 1-2pm and just walk straight in.

On 6/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, The Nal said:

Get up, have brekkie, wait for the madness to die down and roll up at 1pm.

I absolutely agree with this and we do similar every year. We’re half an hour away and will probably have a nice lunch too first. But then I’ve never been one to camp in the super popular areas 

We stay in Wincanton the night before, leave about 6am, backroads all the way and drive straight into blue/ purple carpark with no bother at all. Still stand in a queue for hours to get into the site proper though (last year particularly bad but I understand that was due to train strikes), but the car queues are a thing of the past.

Also ignore "road closed" for glastonbury signs if it gives you a shortcut, locals still use it and the stewards aren't checking your address when they let you out the other side.

Obviously that's cheating and it's on your conscience, but you can balance your Glasto-soul by chatting to a Greenpeace person and covering up any drunks you find sleeping in the sun.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mark it Zero! said:

Also ignore "road closed" for glastonbury signs if it gives you a shortcut, locals still use it and the stewards aren't checking your address when they let you out the other side.

please don't be a c**t and ignore road closed signs. Locals use them to get to work / school / life.  Each year multiple c**ts block those roads by being too important to use the official routes, that are there for a reason. Every time some c**t does it and annoys locals, it increases the pressure on the council approval of the license aspects for transport.

please don't be a c**t.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Mark it Zero! said:

Very poor post and very poor attitude.

31 minutes ago, Mark it Zero! said:

Obviously that's cheating and it's on your conscience, but you can balance your Glasto-soul by chatting to a Greenpeace person and covering up any drunks you find sleeping in the sun.

Pathetic

But of course there are no twats at Glastonbury.

13 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I absolutely agree with this and we do similar every year. We’re half an hour away and will probably have a nice lunch too first. But then I’ve never been one to camp in the super popular areas 

Yeah I'm liking that this is the consensus. Thanks for weighing in!

Btw see you Sunday night at Woodsies? (based on your username)

I'm staying up by Cheddar on the Mon night, purely because I'm in B&W campers this year (which I've never done before)

I'm hoping the drive around to B&W on the Tuesday arvo will be OK and it won't take hours to get in.  
Anyone got any info on arrival into the camper fields? It says they open from 12 on Tuesday. 

I'll then aim for wristbands / entry about 12-1pm on the Wednesday and head straight for the nearest pub. 
(Probs Tolpuddle at that end!)

3 hours ago, Time Being said:

Btw see you Sunday night at Woodsies? (based on your username)

Maybe, maybe not. I’m having a bit of an issue with that particular time slot 😩

I’m 7 months pregnant though so if you do happen to see a small blond girl looking a bit on the portly side, please do say hello!