Elton’s guest list…

Welshinexile

On 6/27/2023 at 3:19 PM, kidpresentable said:

The guests were the major underwhelming aspect of his set, which I otherwise enjoyed. It was a shame that aspect was bigged up so much. I was surrounded by people going "who???" as the first couple were announced.

All were well received where I was, people just enjoyed the show. They were very excited about Brandon Flowers. 

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

All were well received where I was, people just enjoyed the show. They were very excited about Brandon Flowers. 

I get the logic of the choices - but as special guests were flagged in advance the hype took on a life of its own.  And thus, I guess, folks being disappointed getting the bloke off of Gabriels and not Harry Styles.

Should have kept it under wraps to begin with.

As it was, Rina and Jacob both smashed it.

On 6/27/2023 at 3:19 PM, kidpresentable said:

The guests were the major underwhelming aspect of his set

Absolutely staggering after all build-up and noise around who they may be.

Quite probably the single most hyped set in the history of the festival.

Very strange.

On 6/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, Respectfatfrog said:

They worked well to be fair my only regret was my daughter kept hearing Britney and dua lipa was playing and was super excited to see them, her disappointment shone through her eyes but it was a good gig 

Yup. I was in the pit and when Elton was announced the guy from America (before he said 'American') there were a group of about 6 20 year olds who were screaming 'Harry', to the point I don't think they heard what he said until the guy walked on stage. 

They then decided to talk through most of Cold Heart after booing of no Dua Lipa. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I get the logic of the choices - but as special guests were flagged in advance the hype took on a life of its own.  And thus, I guess, folks being disappointed getting the bloke off of Gabriels and not Harry Styles.

Yup, him pushing three 'new' artists that he likes is fantastic, especially considering how many people watched on the BBC. Should of just said 'We're changing the set list up a little bit' and leave it at that. 

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yes they all did a great job and tbh once the show started and you think about the context of him doing his last uk show and giving an outing to these songs he's played thousands of times, then it seemed right that those he had fitted with the songs and the show, rather than guests with a massive profile who would have been very exciting, but then it wouldn't have been his farewell show. 

The main worry about Elton’s set for me was some of the names being mentioned. As it was I think the guests were delightful and totally in keeping with his pushing new music. It was an incredibly kind and generous move and even though most people around me didn’t know Jacob or Rina they were asking who they were and saying they sounded great. I for one was so chuffed that Rina came out and absolutely smashed it! 

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Would have been funny if....

Would have loved a Nova Twins take on a Reg classic, but it may have been me & Mrs 4am alone pogoing like idiots…

I think the problem was overhype. I couldn’t really give a toss about special guests if I’m honest so didn’t really care, but he’d talked it up so much it must have felt disappointing to many who love that stuff.  Thought Rina nailed it. Clearly Dua Lipa had refused/pulled out, I felt that.

8 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Would have loved a Nova Twins take on a Reg classic, but it may have been me & Mrs 4am alone pogoing like idiots…

I think the problem was overhype. I couldn’t really give a toss about special guests if I’m honest so didn’t really care, but he’d talked it up so much it must have felt disappointing to many who love that stuff.  Thought Rina nailed it. Clearly Dua Lipa had refused/pulled out, I felt that.

I would have loved Nova Twins as well so no way you’d have been pogoing alone. They were fantastic in the afternoon. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I would have loved Nova Twins as well so no way you’d have been pogoing alone. They were fantastic in the afternoon. 

Sang my throat sore and jumped around head banging like a loon. Completely inappropriate for a Sunday afternoon. I love them.

4 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Can't tell you my relief when Brandon came out for TD rather than Britney

Thought Rina smashed it and Jacob helped steer what was undoubtedly the first monster singalong of the set

Steven Sanchez...no comment

Yep that’s fair enough a new artist you’ve never heard of doing a song is always going to be a little tricky but I was actually pleased that Elton picked mostly up and coming artists ad it just is very him! 

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Sang my throat sore and jumped around head banging like a loon. Completely inappropriate for a Sunday afternoon. I love them.

They were great and I saw CMAT just before who also was having the time of her life. There’s something incredibly exciting for me of seeing an artist almost realising that this is the moment and both CMAT and Nova Twins seemed to have that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep that’s fair enough a new artist you’ve never heard of doing a song is always going to be a little tricky but I was actually pleased that Elton picked mostly up and coming artists ad it just is very him! 

They were great and I saw CMAT just before who also was having the time of her life. There’s something incredibly exciting for me of seeing an artist almost realising that this is the moment and both CMAT and Nova Twins seemed to have that. 

Strong agree. An artist/act who is pumped up and seizing their moment is special. When you see/hear it, you know.