What is the "spirit of Glastonbury"?

Skip997

Treating people how you in turn wish to be treated. Kindness, friendship, compassion, unity, solidarity, barriers broken down, free expression without judgement, tolerance, celebration. 

Sadly, the things society forgets for the other 360 days of the year. 

I'm convinced the "Glastonbury Blues" is less about the missing the festival and more the realisation that the things we enjoyed together in those fields in Somerset are rarely replicated in real life. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 13

For me it’s in those little two minute chats with a complete stranger - in the queue for a toastie, by the sink, waiting for a band, next to you in the circus tent, awaking from a nap above the letters and discovering a little set of people three feet from you, and having a chat to em about anything and everything - and then as quick as it started, off they pop or off you pop with a ‘have a good festival’ and you’ll never see em again but they’re a good’un and you can just tell, straight off the bat. Just little interactions with decent people from everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Treating people how you in turn wish to be treated. Kindness, friendship, compassion, unity, solidarity, barriers broken down, free expression without judgement, tolerance, celebration. 

Sadly, the things society forgets for the other 360 days of the year. 

I'm convinced the "Glastonbury Blues" is less about the missing the festival and more the realisation that the things we enjoyed together in those fields in Somerset are rarely replicated in real life. 

Is this not festivals in general, has been the ones I have been too. I do try to be like it outside festivals.

So is Glastonbury any different?

Edited by fred quimby

3 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Is this not festivals in general, has been the ones I have been too. I do try to be like it outside festivals.

I guess this is what I'm actually asking.

I echo what Fred (Quimby, not the other one) says. Every festival I've been to, except Leeds Carling, which is an abomination.

There's is one that goes above and beyond, Shambala.

Just now, fred quimby said:

Quite different. 

Sure, some of these values are shared in festival culture generally, some more or less than others, subject to the genre of music and/or location, but not to the same degree as the big one. Certainly not in my experience, and I've been to festivals across Europe, Asia, the US and Australia. None of them have matched the vibe of Glastonbury. I'm sure some probably do, but none of the ones I've been to. 

• Upvote 1

As Billy Bragg once said - "Glastonbury is like Brigadoon - a mythical place that rises out of the mist for a few days & then disappears". 

It's an enchanted place, where life is simpler, untouched by the worries of the modern world. And, yeah, it's different from all other festivals. I can't explain why - it just is!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There's is one that goes above and beyond, Shambala.

Shambala would be absolutely perfect if it finished a little later and had some more varied dance music (not just dnb) in the Big Tent. It is SO good though.

4 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Shambala would be absolutely perfect if it finished a little later and had some more varied dance music (not just dnb) in the Big Tent. It is SO good though.

Roots Yard ( Reggae, Dance Hall, Afro-beats), and The House Party (mixed Dance music) both go on until 5am. Kamikaze (the Big Tent) only does DnB on the Saturday, Friday and Sunday have varied Dance Music.

Anyway had one of my all time best nights in Kamikaze, Aphrodite followed by Micky Finn.

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's on the list, Skip! One that I've not got round to attending but I hear only great things. 

For some, particularly the veterans, Glastonbury has become too big, both culturally and physically. Much of what was special to them has been diluted as a result. Glastonbury today is nothing like the Glastonbury of the 80s, 90s or early 00s. It still retains the core values that made it great, but the world around it has changed, and so too has the festival, naturally and out of necessity. In some cases for the better, in others not. But the magic is still there. 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's on the list, Skip! One that I've not got round to attending but I hear only great things. 

For some, particularly the veterans, Glastonbury has become too big, both culturally and physically. Much of what was special to them has been diluted as a result. Glastonbury today is nothing like the Glastonbury of the 80s, 90s or early 00s. It still retains the core values that made it great, but the world around it has changed, and so too has the festival, naturally and out of necessity. In some cases for the better, in others not. But the magic is still there. 

Aye, very true

I could go to a festival where I can see some niche DJ's playing some obscure dance tunes.

Or I could go to a festival where I can see the biggest artists on the planet, like Rolling Stones, Macca, Bowie, etc.

Or I could go to a festival where I can see some of the greatest indie acts, like The Cure, New Order, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

Or I can go to a festival where I can see the biggest pop acts, like Lizzo, Katy Perry, etc.

Or I can go to a festival where I can see legends like Johnny Cash, Dolly, Lionel Ritchie, etc.

Or I can go to a festival where I can watch political debates.

Or I can go to a festival where I can see comedy, theatre & circus acts.

Or I can just go to Glastonbury & see all of the above!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

kindness, smiling at a stranger and having a chat, making friends in the crowd and embracing strangers to music we love. looking out for randoms if you think they aint looking too good. the fact your phone doesnt work for 5 days properly too 🤣 switching off from the world.

Togetherness??? 

I dunno, only been once, but that was an overwhelming feeling I remember from last time. 

As for what the festival means to me... There's a phrase thrown around a lot in my main hobby, "Escapism," I think that phrase applies to Glastonbury in a big way too... For one week of the year we get to escape the pressures and stresses of real life, and let loose on this incredible playground surrounded by incredible people. 

• Like 1

For me, it’s mainly the fact that in daily life, most of the people I meet don’t seem very nice, but on the farm, the opposite is true. I realise that’s at least partly down to the fact that everyone there is in a good mood, but still, it’s a refreshing change. As my daughter once said, everyone should be more Glastonbury. Or at least try to be.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude
Typo

Talking to your mates during sets in the middle of the crowd while sat on a nice picnic blanket 

jokes.  For me it’s everyone doing their own thing, including the above. Just wandering around chatting to randoms too

Edited by March Hare