What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?

What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?

• It is my festival, in the SE every night until at least 4am, often sunrise.
    • I like to visit to get the vibe but don't stay long due to crowds or another reason.
    • I get my late night kicks elsewhere (please share).
    • I tend to be too knackered from the day's music and don't stay out much later than the day's headliner.
    • I make the effort only for specific acts I want to see.
    • I want see more of it this year but don't know where to start.
    • Not for me at all, too crowded, don't like the genres on offer, too many drug heads etc etc.

Bag is very useful in the SE corner.

Not everyones made of money and wants to keep buying pints at the bars - good for carrying jumpers etc. I had one bag that we all used in the SE and when at acts took it off.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sedra said:

It’s probably those in the campervan fields / B&W or outside the fence tents/accommodation that can’t be bothered to go back. We couldn’t be bothered to go back to Sticklinch during the day so just took a small bag but people can use the lock ups if they have a big bag 

I tend to find most people these days carry one! 

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Does the one-way system and it's ridiculous queue put anyone off.

I likely wouldn't even bother if I had to suffer that

One way system isn't too bad if you're coming from the area in general. 9 times out of 10 I'm ending the night (or was before this year) at West Holts. A quick walk through Cabaret, through the little turnstiles - do they still have those?, then you're in a pretty much constantly moving flow.

Went to Arcadia one night for a bit, then got into the one way system around midnight, it was a total cake walk. We floated down as high as kites. Was a lovely walk, getting closer and closer, hearing the music, really ramped up our excitement before we got in. 

I used to go there a lot but nowadays my feckin feet hurt too much by then so the stamina is not there!

2009 was peak SE corner for me, got lost in those alleyways and micro venues till the early hours. Places like fish and tits and the kareoke one.

Enjoyed it last year round the Nomad stage bit which had some space to move. 

I think I would like Block 9 a bit more so need to make the effort to get in there a bit more.

19 hours ago, sime said:

I used to like it when it had the lanes and all the weird sci-fi stuff and micro venues. It was like a living art piece. Now it is more like a big club culture area and is so very very busy. Which is great for anyone into that but it's not my scene really apart from the rock venue, so I only go there once, late one night (normally Sunday into Monday), just to take in all the structures and atmosphere, stay for about 30 minutes and then move on. I'm glad it's there as it means a lot to a lot of people. I just really do miss how it used to be.

Same, I used to love it when it was lots of smaller venues and also Bez's Acid House was in the Unfairground. Ive found the past few times Ive been that Ive ended up in the Glade and the Park at night. Plus Im also going to bed a bit earlier for the most part. I still go to the naughty corner but not every night like I used to

• Upvote 1

Talk of the 09-11 period, Snake Pit, Fish n Tits, etc. has made me really nostalgic. Wish I could experience that again. Oxygen bars, playing Lucifer at ping pong for shots. Magical stuff.

Wasn’t there a vampire stripper bar at one point based on the Titty Twister from Dusk Till Dawn or have I misremembered it?

It's really apparent in so many threads that the micro venues are what's missing from the vibe. But wasn't there an advert out this year for staff specifically for micro venues? Are these making a comeback this year do you think?

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

7 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

It's really apparent in so many threads that the micro venues are what's missing from the vibe. But wasn't there an advert out this year for staff specifically for micro venues? Are these making a comeback this year do you think?

Around the South East Corner, towards the back of the Truth Stage area and where the 'Gas Tower' used to be, you'll still find quite a few micro-venues, including that bus with the anti-oil message etc.  These will no doubt continue, and are well worth going and looking at.  (One of my fond memories from last year was a little one selling really funny postcards, but, in the early hours when I visited, the guy running it was off his nut and paying no attention, so it ended up being a matter of conscience as to whether you left any money on the counter.) The specific thing that people are nostalgic for is the 'alleyways,' which was an extensive maze of little covered walkways with loads of little places, including tiny nightclubs, Victorian amusement arcades and all sorts of other odd stuff.

That just wouldn't be possible these days as the South East Corner has become too busy to stage it safely - hence the one-way entry system at peak times.  I'd say what's needed is for these microvenues to be scattered around the entire site in different locations each year, so that they're a genuine surprise when you stumble upon them rather than somewhere with huge queues of people ticking them off their list.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Around the South East Corner, towards the back of the Truth Stage area and where the 'Gas Tower' used to be, you'll still find quite a few micro-venues, including that bus with the anti-oil message etc.  These will no doubt continue, and are well worth going and looking at.  (One of my fond memories from last year was a little one selling really funny postcards, but, in the early hours when I visited, the guy running it was off his nut and paying no attention, so it ended up being a matter of conscience as to whether you left any money on the counter.) The specific thing that people are nostalgic for is the 'alleyways,' which was an extensive maze of little covered walkways with loads of little places, including tiny nightclubs, Victorian amusement arcades and all sorts of other odd stuff.

That just wouldn't be possible these days as the South East Corner has become too busy to stage it safely - hence the one-way entry system at peak times.  I'd say what's needed is for these microvenues to be scattered around the entire site in different locations each year, so that they're a genuine surprise when you stumble upon them rather than somewhere with huge queues of people ticking them off their list.

Very true, I get that. Would be fun to stumble across them elsewhere as well 

On 5/27/2023 at 3:00 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

Talk of the 09-11 period, Snake Pit, Fish n Tits, etc. has made me really nostalgic. Wish I could experience that again. Oxygen bars, playing Lucifer at ping pong for shots. Magical stuff.

Wasn’t there a vampire stripper bar at one point based on the Titty Twister from Dusk Till Dawn or have I misremembered it?

I'd love to see some pics of any of these places if you happened to have any? I never took my camera to the SEC for fear of dropping it or something, and I never had a decent phone camera until like 2014.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:46 PM, Nerraw2525 said:

Those years were amazing. Like something out of Bladerunner, was an incredible immersive experience and you weren't there to see anyone play. Just wandering around discovering weird things. 

I found that tattoo club on the Friday night. It was nuts! Tried to bring friends to it the following night and couldn't find it in the maze of doors and tunnels. Did manage to find a bar dedicated to Bono behind a secret sliding door instead. Whole area was immense. 

Halcyon days before you had to queue for everything!

6 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'd love to see some pics of any of these places if you happened to have any? I never took my camera to the SEC for fear of dropping it or something, and I never had a decent phone camera until like 2014.

I have a few of the alleyways.. I’m sure I had more and some videos but they seem to be missing atm.. 

21066763158_2ca4691343_o.jpeg

21067664419_c48318fbdf_o.jpeg

20633387503_1811da19fb_o.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Some video footage here. Was some mad stuff going on in those alleyways!

• Like 1