williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yes with is exactly why we wont ever agree as we all like different but somehow they need to save money or put the ticket price up sad that that is its always going to piss people off ... another £50 might price my lot out .... of course those gaps would be filled by others ... but id sadly make the choice of losing williams green over that . 

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if next years ticket also increased by £50 given how stubborn inflation is being in dropping.

My 2 cents on the WG issue is Glastonbury have massively dropped the ball here. I have never been to see a band at WG as dance music is more my thing but even then I think it’s stupid to spend loads of money on the revamp for silver Hayes whilst scrapping WG for cost saving measures. Dance music is already so well covered with the SE corner and the previous carnation of silver Hayes so not sure why their revamp couldn’t wait a year and keep WG to support up and coming artists, which as others have rightly pointed out should be an essential part of a festival of contemporary performing arts 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yes with is exactly why we wont ever agree as we all like different but somehow they need to save money or put the ticket price up sad that that is its always going to piss people off ... another £50 might price my lot out .... of course those gaps would be filled by others ... but id sadly make the choice of losing williams green over that . 

William Green programming isn't 50 quid per person though is it? Not even 50p

Just now, tigger123 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if next years ticket also increased by £50 given how stubborn inflation is being in dropping.

My 2 cents on the WG issue is Glastonbury have massively dropped the ball here. I have never been to see a band at WG as dance music is more my thing but even then I think it’s stupid to spend loads of money on the revamp for silver Hayes whilst scrapping WG for cost saving measures. Dance music is already so well covered with the SE corner and the previous carnation of silver Hayes so not sure why their revamp couldn’t wait a year and keep WG to support up and coming artists, which as others have rightly pointed out should be an essential part of a festival of contemporary performing arts 

silver hayes is run by loves saves the day now ... so not quite sure how the cost thing works and who pays but if the cost is passed on then I absolutely see your point . 

Also to those saying wait to see Carhenge before passing judgement, that is fair but ultimately it is just a load of old cars stacked on top of the other. Guarantee it won’t have nearly as much wow factor compared to the first time you see Iicon, Genosys (RIP) or similar. 

Edited by tigger123

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

If they had to cut budget it should really have been done elsewhere, but we are where we are.

that bastille slot on the thursday last year along with the health and safety police has basically killed WG. 

bit of both i guess

43 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Also to those saying wait to see Carhenge before passing judgement, that is fair but ultimately it is just a load of old cars stacked on top of the other. Guarantee it won’t have nearly as much wow factor compared to the first time you see Iicon, Genosys (RIP) or similar. 

You agree it's fair to wait to pass judgement, but then decide to anyway?  

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Are people aware that there will be acts on at "carhenge 2.0" (the sanitized version)?

"Carhenge will be set alive by a show of lights created by the great lighting designer Ed Warren and by the inventive congolese jump up beats of Fulu Miziki or “music from the garbage” in lingala. At the centre of the henges, from Thursday 22 June, these “African Mutoids” from Kinshasa, dressed in scrap, fusing music, art, dance and fashion will perform and play their afrofuturist sound with percussion instruments made of trash from flip flops to plastic tubings."

So a bit of a show but we don't know how often. Once, twice a night?

Edited by Gnomicide

1 hour ago, incident said:

Only if they don't need or can get planning permission to keep it in place. Which as we've seen isn't a given.

I meant putting it up every year, all they have to do is move them into place with a small crane. Its nowhere near the size of Pangea.

Certainly costs less than hiring and staffing a tent + booking acts for it

1 hour ago, Glastoboy said:

Where are tomorrow's main stage artists coming from if they have nowhere to start from and nowhere to be seen? Glastonbury has historically provided for them.

There are some excellent female and female-fronted bands out there right now, but barely any are performing at Glastonbury this year. Getting rid of WG isn't going to help the intended ambition of trying to promote gender equality of the acts at Glastonbury in the future.

Exactly. Stages like WG are where the headliners in 10 years time get a break. 

15 minutes ago, clarkete said:

You agree it's fair to wait to pass judgement, but then decide to anyway?  

Yep pretty much! Have seen a load of photos, spoken to a friend on site and as I said don’t think it will be as impactful as the other stage installations I listed in my previous post 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

ive no idea costs , do you ? ... in fairness you are right its not going to be that 

50p on 170k tickets is £85k

That would more than cover artists fees for the fri-sun of williams green, i reckon

obviously setting up the tent plus sound, lights, security etc is a cost on top of that

I think Carhenge will to be ace to be honest but I'm a massive fan of Joe Rush and the Mutoid waste company who are long intertwined with Glastonbury from the traveller days and are basically the backbone to the whole of the SE corner with a few others who made it what it is today

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

That would more than cover artists fees for the fri-sun of williams green, i reckon

obviously setting up the tent plus sound, lights, security etc is a cost on top of that

id love to see the costs for it all .... I do think theyve had to make some  really tough choices this year though . I guess I personally think they are doing this with the future of the festival in mind ... I do also think its a shame its gone but also ive seen a number of things come and go over the years . 

7 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Obviously there's a cost in providing for all those performers and crew - tickets, space, support for starters

Given we know they're reducing tickets given to some areas it could be headcount related - this is simply ten pages of speculation and I'm not sure that two weeks before the festival sitting around clutching pearls about it is a good use of energy - not when we should be packing /repacking /purchasing/whatever

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

Agreed, loss of WG is an absolute joke and a stain on this year’s festival as far as i’m concernered

Bit much, especially when we haven't even seen car henge. I agree it is a loss but stain on this years festival? Most festivals are lucky to get a stage revamped. 
Gone are the days of new pier/rave crane/iicon all in the same year it seems though.

Remember the cause of all the issues we are getting now at the heart of it all . Tory cost of Living crisis and rampant inflation and profiteering . So I try and keep my blame on  the festival lower whilst everything is struggling around me 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

Where are tomorrow's main stage artists coming from if they have nowhere to start from and nowhere to be seen? Glastonbury has historically provided for them.

There are some excellent female and female-fronted bands out there right now, but barely any are performing at Glastonbury this year. Getting rid of WG isn't going to help the intended ambition of trying to promote gender equality of the acts at Glastonbury in the future.

6 out of 9 of the Emerging Talent finalists are female.

https://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/check-out-the-performances-from-the-emerging-talent-competition-finalists/

1 minute ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Fair enough, I've no complaint with that. But do you want all your future music coming from judged contests?

There are a lot of great WG sized bands, that are playing other festivals but not Glastonbury. Just seems real strange to me that Glastonbury aren't offering them room to showcase their talents.

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

Bit much, especially when we haven't even seen car henge. I agree it is a loss but stain on this years festival? Most festivals are lucky to get a stage revamped. 
Gone are the days of new pier/rave crane/iicon all in the same year it seems though.

Car henge is and will be crap and williams green had some of the brightest new (ish) talents at the festival. We’re all entitled to our opinion and mine is that its a ridiculous loss and one where they could and should have found something else to cut.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

Fair enough, I've no complaint with that. But do you want all your future music coming from judged contests?

There are a lot of great WG sized bands, that are playing other festivals but not Glastonbury. Just seems real strange to me that Glastonbury aren't offering them room to showcase their talents.

It's one stage.

About forty acts per year. 

It will be fine. 

7 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Car henge is and will be crap and williams green had some of the brightest new (ish) talents at the festival. We’re all entitled to our opinion and mine is that its a ridiculous loss and one where they could and should have found something else to cut.

If I look at the 6 acts I saw there in 2019, two thirds of them also played elsewhere, mostly JP.