Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

On 5/12/2023 at 2:16 PM, Xeph1995 said:

Okay but that's just different not better, some people don't want to work setting stuff up before it kicks off. 

It comes across as very no true Glastonbury goer fallacy. 

I was agreeing with the point that neither is better it's just different. 

Some people would like to be on site early seeing it all build up and hit crew bars etc. For them this is better as they have a longer festival (albeit some of it before the punters arrive.)

Edited by Breeze

41 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I camped for >10 years where the Tipi Field is these days at the top of Pennard. Was so quiet up there before, just cheering from sacred space and drums was all you heard. Before they moved the Tipi Field in they moved the Park in. Was initially pissed off but the Park has proven to be a really excellent addition (the entire area not just the stage). 

I did stay in the old Tipi Field in 2000 when it was next to Avalon. That was much better for it among the trees I thought had a great vibe. But way smaller obv. 

I started going in 2004 and I was convinced the Tipi Field had always been in its current location….I must have been wrong!

My unpopular opinion is wednesday is the worst festival day

there is nothing on, or if there is its pretty quiet and over subscribed

you are knackered from setting up and dragging all your stuff in

fireworks do not constitute entertainment. You’ve seen one fireworks display you’ve seen them all.

Now Thursday morning, well rested, everything in front of you, first prospect of decent amplified music is when spirits are highest!

I may try not to waste valuable energy and leg muscles walking miles around site on the weds as what’s the point?

I also have a tendency to drink too much and forget to eat properly on the wednesday which is a bad combo

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This'll be largely unpopular with the Twix brigade, but I can never understand the glorification of jumping the fence/sneaking in 

Jumping the fence I’d imagine is done by very few people now . Paying some dodgy security a backhander I’d suggest  is slightly different kettle of fish . I’d give the guy that arrived in the paraglider tickets for life because of ingenuity 

18 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Jumping the fence I’d imagine is done by very few people now . Paying some dodgy security a backhander I’d suggest  is slightly different kettle of fish . I’d give the guy that arrived in the paraglider tickets for life because of ingenuity 

Yeah, but if we all had paragliders... 

Trust me, it's really not just paying some security guy. I'm aware of a lot that get in without paying a penny and have done for years. 

46 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, but if we all had paragliders... 

Trust me, it's really not just paying some security guy. I'm aware of a lot that get in without paying a penny and have done for years. 

Each year before the EPO bands were changed I could probably count couple dozen or more people I knew of that would go in that way using the the same people each year. Whilst I’m sure it still happens it can’t be in the same volume of a couple year back  

On 5/12/2023 at 1:57 PM, Xeph1995 said:

Anyone actually thinking that it's better to work than have a ticket is just having to do some serious coping, I would never choose to work unless I missed out a ticket and the line up was some sort of all stars aligned. 

It comes across at super salty. 

Your comment is salty. And you couldn’t be more wrong in my opinion, but it’s subjective and not for everyone. My choice is to work because I prefer it that way. Not because I’m coping. Or I’d just have kept my ticket!

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Your comment is salty. And you couldn’t be more wrong in my opinion, but it’s subjective and not for everyone. My choice is to work because I prefer it that way. Not because I’m coping. Or I’d just have kept my ticket!

Do you make a song and dance about it being better ? Because that's what I'm refering to, and what the original OP was referring to as well. 

Im sure there are many people who prefer working but don't need to make a fuss about how much better it is for them. 

Theres nothing salty about my comments, I'm very happy to be going in June and will enjoy every moment as I always do, but I'd never tell people my way is better. 

Edited by Xeph1995

42 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Do you make a song and dance about it being better ? Because that's what I'm refering to, and what the original OP was referring to as well. 

Im sure there are many people who prefer working but don't need to make a fuss about how much better it is for them. 

Theres nothing salty about my comments, I'm very happy to be going in June and will enjoy every moment as I always do, but I'd never tell people my way is better. 

Well you did… when you said anyone having to work is doing some serious coping 😂

I think I’ve only discussed it in the volunteering thread, but I think that applies to most people. 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Well you did… when you said anyone having to work is doing some serious coping 😂

I think I’ve only discussed it in the volunteering thread, but I think that applies to most people. 

If you look at the original post by the OP which I was replying in agreement with you will see that it was more directed at people who specifically said that working the festival was better experience and that it went downhill when the punters arrived ect, this isnt really pointed at you if that's the case. 

Specifically about them, which imo does come across as salty, it's sounds very much like "well I didn't want to get a ticket anyway, it's far better working."

It wasn't a general dig at people who work, just a vocal minority. 

Edited by Xeph1995

On 5/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, gooner1990 said:

I started going in 2004 and I was convinced the Tipi Field had always been in its current location….I must have been wrong!

Was in the field east of Avalon up until 2000 certainly (didn’t go in 2002) - can’t remember where it was in 2003/2004 but certainly I camped where it is now those years I think. Remember having a death by Chai session with a nice fella called Govinda in the Tipi Field 2003 which i think was in original place. 

<heads off to look at old maps>

I prefer working to having a ticket, for a few reasons, mostly related to getting older and not really being able to handle partying for five days straight, wanting to be able to get properly clean occasionally, and money.

However, I really do hate all that "it would be so much better without the punters*", "the best days are before the public arrive" shit.  We don't get to be there unless the public come, and the whole fucking point is that there's going to be a festival and that festival will be awesome.  No-one (notable exception, build crew who are really just there to set stuff up and then have other work to go do) on the crew is leaving once the festival starts, because they all want to be there and enjoy it.  Having said that, those few days before the festival are lovely - catching up with friends and seeing the site come together really builds the anticipation.

* Also I have an irrational hatred of the word "punters" and a completely rational hatred of anyone who refers to the public as something like "the unwashed" or similar.  They're customers, and they're paying for you to be there...

• Upvote 4

One thing that grinds my gears is a large majority of people who now carry 'day bag's' full of crap.....unless its being used to carry alcohol around its probably not really needed or can fit into pockets and is far too sensible for people who are supposed to be getting off their heads for 5 days straight.

The main issue is people don't tend to ditch the day bags at night, then when you're trying to dance to a  DJ or band in the dark you have to swerve around peoples giant rucksacks swinging about the place.  

Jumpers around waists, everything else in pockets. Done. 

(btw no need to thrown hissy fits in response about your medication, or whatever else you particularly take around with you that's essential, its just a general comment and meant to be in a light hearted way 🙂

30 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

One thing that grinds my gears is a large majority of people who now carry 'day bag's' full of crap.....unless its being used to carry alcohol around its probably not really needed or can fit into pockets and is far too sensible for people who are supposed to be getting off their heads for 5 days straight.

The main issue is people don't tend to ditch the day bags at night, then when you're trying to dance to a  DJ or band in the dark you have to swerve around peoples giant rucksacks swinging about the place.  

(btw no need to thrown hissy fits in response about your medication, or whatever else you particularly take around with you that's essential, its just a general comment and meant to be in a light hearted way 🙂

Completely on board with this. The size of rucksacks people have on them as they attempt to force their way down the front for a headliner is mental. 

30 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Exactly.

I wear cargo trousers with large pockets, can comfortably fit everything i need in them.

Not only are backpacks a pain for those around you, they're awkward for yourself and prone to being mislaid.

45 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

* Also I have an irrational hatred of the word "punters" and a completely rational hatred of anyone who refers to the public as something like "the unwashed" or similar.  They're customers, and they're paying for you to be there...

Yea.

I'm going to change my word for those with a "public" ticket this year.

I do realize that they are effectively paying for me to be there.

36 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

One thing I started doing last year is leaving my bag in the lockup for sets where I knew I wanted to get in the mixer, then pick it up afterwards.

I only have a small bag (def not a rucksack) but it's a valid point though, will set myself the challenge this year of carrying less shit 😂