First Time

danbailey80

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I need to stop finding bands! My days are already pretty clasharific (hoping the times coming out will solve some of that).

Speaking of times... when do they normally arrive?

Looking back to last year, official stage timings were released on 29th August - 2 days before kick-off.

20 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Tumbleweed in here at the moment, lads. 5 short weeks out! Is nobody as excited as me about what lies ahead? I'm firing videos into the family WhatsApp, no response from the brothers or sister, all of whom are accompanying me to EOTR. Radio silence on efestivals, nothing on EOTR socials bar a message to politely inform me that if am indeed delayed on my flight over and miss the 11 o clock closure of the ticket office, I am indeed sleeping in a ditch. Make an effort folks, get your fingers out, tell me some EOTR sh*t.

OK then, some EOTR-related recent gig reports:

The Last Dinner Party - Tix bought on a speculative whim unknowing of the "hype", but glad I did. Still a few rough edges in their live performance, but technically good, the lead has a lot of character and a good voice, the music is fun and a bit different, and the audience reacted well. Interested to see how they convert from intimate venue to the expanse of an open stage. But obviously will be packed with so little competition, and I suspect they will be a good opener. And the run TLDP, Deerhoof, Heartworms and Wilco should make a cracking Thursday.

Wunderhorse - Sorry, but I was a bit disappointed. Cub was one of my favourite albums of 2022 but for me that didn't quite translate into a wonderful live performance. A bit hard to say why. Lots of little things really, not enough engagement, strange set list killing the vibe in the middle, some lack of clarity in the guitar (sound issues?). I still enjoyed and would happily watch them again, but probably not on a busy Friday at this EOTR

Allison Russell - I know that technically she is not an EOTR performer but she would be a perfect fit and they should be booking her now for 2024. Her recorded stuff is good, but live it really comes alive. Joyous. Talented. Engaging. Heartwarming. Best gig of 2022 so far.

And shortly an acoustic set from Hurray for the Riff Raff....

• Like 1

That's what I'm talking about, MerryPig. I'll miss TLDP due to my late arrival but would certainly have given them a look. Wunderhorse are a strange one for me. Caught a bit of their set last Summer supporting Pixies? Fontaines? in Dublin and it didn't grab me. I've given the album a couple of spins and although it's clearly a decent album, they haven't made my must see list. Just lacking an edge, a spark? They look like they'll be up against Nina Nastasia on the Talking Heads stage and I think that will be lovely. 

1 hour ago, robith said:

Always been lush weather whenever I've been, so I feel like this may be my first wet one

I've seen about 3 partially wet days in a dozen or so visits. So far, this summer is true to form, with a pretty rubbish July and what looks like an improving picture in August. I'm sure the weather reports will look a bit mixed by the end of August, but we mostly get away with it.

56 minutes ago, paulwa said:

I've seen about 3 partially wet days in a dozen or so visits. So far, this summer is true to form, with a pretty rubbish July and what looks like an improving picture in August. I'm sure the weather reports will look a bit mixed by the end of August, but we mostly get away with it.

All the rain is falling now so there won't be any left in September. I'm pretty sure that's how weather works.

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

All the rain is falling now so there won't be any left in September. I'm pretty sure that's how weather works.

It is a scientific fact. But I will once again refuse to pack shorts and a hat in order to force glorious weather.

On 7/31/2023 at 11:00 AM, paulwa said:

Remember that last year we had a warm and dry festival until around 11pm on Sunday and it then peed down for the whole following week, whereas in 2021 that week after had 30+°C days.

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Remember that last year we had a warm and dry festival until around 11pm on Sunday and it then peed down for the whole following week, whereas in 2021 that week after had 30+°C days.

Inevitably and appropriately, the best year ever was the year of the Great Return post-covid, when the initial forecast was very miserable with a risk of snow, I packed the car accordingly, it was spitting when I set off, very grey but equally mild when putting the tent up but then blissfully glorious for the rest of the whole weekend. Even Monday morning was an utter pleasure. More please.

2 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

Inevitably and appropriately, the best year ever was the year of the Great Return post-covid, when the initial forecast was very miserable with a risk of snow, I packed the car accordingly, it was spitting when I set off, very grey but equally mild when putting the tent up but then blissfully glorious for the rest of the whole weekend. Even Monday morning was an utter pleasure. More please.

it was perfect. Might have been my favorite EOTR

Lads I don't suppose there's anywhere to rent camping chairs onsite? I'm in a prepitched tent but they're not one of the items you can add to your booking. I'd rather we didn't all have to hawk them over on the flight.

Edited by Stillill42

2 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Lads I don't suppose there's anywhere to rent camping chairs onsite? I'm in a prepitched tent but they're not one of the items you can add to your booking. I'd rather we didn't all have to hawk them over on the flight.

I don’t think so. I forgot to bring chairs last year & thought about buying them at the shop on site.  It would have been nice for coffee & breakfast in the morning but we survived quite happily without chairs.

• Thanks 1

I have not had great luck with the chairs sold there but I am a heavy lad so that is probably on me.  I find those little chairs in a bag you can get are light enough and small enough to bring over. 

I'm surprised there isn't more chair talk here... EOTR has more people on chairs than any other festival I've been at.  Seems to be an unspoken competition of who will have the best chair.  There were lads in portable hammock style ones last year.   Saw someone with a Cliq chair as well which looked amazing and I found out it was like 150 dollars.  I'm always checking out the chairs out to see what are the best...  is this just me?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All this talk of chairs reminded me our blow up sofa finally died last year...have to slum it this year I think.

If you're flying over you want one of those thing that you just whoosh about to fill with air and tie the end....nice and light and perfectly serviceable for coffees/beers back at the tent

On 8/2/2023 at 10:52 AM, domjon said:

All this talk of chairs reminded me our blow up sofa finally died last year...have to slum it this year I think.

If you're flying over you want one of those thing that you just whoosh about to fill with air and tie the end....nice and light and perfectly serviceable for coffees/beers back at the tent

Thought about getting one of these but read that basically they’re all crap & leak a lot of air. Are you saying otherwise?

What's the camping situation like, is it a free for all like most festivals (i've been to)?

How quiet is the "quiet" camping, sounds like it's generally quite a chilled festival so maybe everywhere is already quietish?!

Any issues with certain spots getting boggy if it tips down?

Oh, and are gazebo's allowed to stick between two tents for a bit of living space?

Ta :)