Which Elton track are you looking forward to the most?

kalifire

I'm not sure what Elton is expecting it to be like at Glasto, but I hope he's absolutely blown away by the enthusiasm of the crowd. Some of his audiences are almost cringe-inducingly still, even taking into account an older age demographic. His Sunday set will be the party of the entire weekend.

28 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'm not sure what Elton is expecting it to be like at Glasto, but I hope he's absolutely blown away by the enthusiasm of the crowd. Some of his audiences are almost cringe-inducingly still, even taking into account an older age demographic. His Sunday set will be the party of the entire weekend.

I was at the O2 yesterday, and it was pretty subdued until the final third when they let a few of us stand right at the front, presumably to create a bit of atmosphere for the cameras that were filming, although to be fair, a lot of the first half was slower stuff like Tiny Dancer and Candle in the Wind.

But even in the final third, most of the people down the front weren't moving that much - surely a reflection of the demographic who can afford those seat prices.

As long as the weather behaves itself, the atmosphere will be much better at Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

His Sunday set will be the party of the entire weekend.

I sincerely hope not

By this I don't mean I hope it's a flop. I mean I hope there are several much better parties.

Edited by Skip997

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I was at Bestival ten years ago and there was no mistake that Elton understood the different demographic and leant into the response he got. I'm sure he'll rock up to the pyramid with a similar mindset.

I have had a look at ticket prices on twickets, and even there, one night of Elton is going for more than the cost of the whole weekend at Glastonbury. And people say its overpriced...

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I have had a look at ticket prices on twickets, and even there, one night of Elton is going for more than the cost of the whole weekend at Glastonbury. And people say its overpriced...

The Elton gig is massively overpriced.

Not sure about Glastonbury, it's not something I've ever had to seriously consider.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The Elton gig is massively overpriced.

Not sure about Glastonbury, it's not something I've ever had to seriously consider.

Yes, but you surely know how much the tickets cost and can extrapolate from there... It's called a humblebrag by the way.

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Out of interest, how do you earn your keep at Glasto? You’re forever mentioning you don’t have to pay to get in

These days I volunteer for Green Traffic, which until about 7 years ago involved traffic management on the railway track. I now help coordinate the Dragon Field, which is a crew over spill campsite for the Green fields.

Previously I've painted the long drops, worked in a food stall, worked in a stall selling smoking paraphernalia.

Loads of times I been a fence jumper or found another way in.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, doogie said:

I was at the O2 yesterday, and it was pretty subdued until the final third when they let a few of us stand right at the front, presumably to create a bit of atmosphere for the cameras that were filming, although to be fair, a lot of the first half was slower stuff like Tiny Dancer and Candle in the Wind.

But even in the final third, most of the people down the front weren't moving that much - surely a reflection of the demographic who can afford those seat prices.

As long as the weather behaves itself, the atmosphere will be much better at Glastonbury.

Yep atmosphere last night was dead AF until I'm Still Standing, because The O2 was filled with septuagenarians.

It'll be ace at Glasto.

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

I think painting the bogs certainly accrues credit in the bank. 

I was also involved in, at the time, the most comprehensive post festival tidy up. This occurred sometime in the mid 90's. We did every inch including all the streams, ditches, woodland etc. I didn't leave site until mid August. ME personally thanked us for the best clean up ever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I was also involved in, at the time, the most comprehensive post festival tidy up. This occurred sometime in the mid 90's. We did every inch including all the streams, ditches, woodland etc. I didn't leave site until mid August. ME personally thanked us for the best clean up ever.

I bet you found a lot of drugs?

I always wonder if a few stray pills are left post clean up and a cow manages to munch on one. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I bet you found a lot of drugs?

I always wonder if a few stray pills are left post clean up and a cow manages to munch on one. 

Surprisingly no.

What we did find were loads of fake drugs, e.g. bags of oregano and the like, smashed up crystal or candle wax made to look like crack and fake LSD.

There was a lot more open drug dealing on site in them days, what's the point of taking your fakes back off site.

The most disturbing find was on an already cleaned field, an Opel fruits packet with two used, uncapped syringes inside.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Loads of times I been a fence jumper or found another way in.

The first year I went (1983), there wasn't much of a fence - and what there was didn't go around the whole site. So it was a case of climbing through a hedgerow. By 1989 there was a fence all around (probably about 10 feet tall). I got caught by security trying to climb over but ten notes was enough to see me over

To answer the original question, I can see 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' being the 'Tender' moment (if you saw Blur in 2009 you'll know what I mean).

It's the last song of the night and we'll all be joining in with the Ah Ah Ah choruses as it brings five fantastic days of partying in the best place on earth to a close.

I recorded this on Monday night at the O2 and it was emotional, but with the Glastonbury atmosphere and crowd it'll be ten times better.

Edited by doogie

On 4/18/2023 at 6:32 PM, Skip997 said:

I bet this year is going to be the best clean up ever...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 6:56 PM, doogie said:

To answer the original question, I can see 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' being the 'Tender' moment (if you saw Blur in 2009 you'll know what I mean).

It's the last song of the night and we'll all be joining in with the Ah Ah Ah choruses as it brings five fantastic days of partying in the best place on earth to a close.

I recorded this on Monday night at the O2 and it was emotional, but with the Glastonbury atmosphere and crowd it'll be ten times better.

Sounds much better than the professionally recorded one they put on YouTube for the Disney stream

Edited by efcfanwirral