What is your arrival strategy ?

Crazyfool01

9 minutes ago, Scrump said:

We're a group of 4 coming from a whole load of different locations..Devon,London, Sussex and Netherlands!

I'm pretty certain I'm going to get a NE coach for ease but have no idea how we're going to coordinate meeting to set up our camp. 

Anyone with previous in this area?

It's fairly easy tbh. First person in picks a spot, spread your stuff out about to save some space for the other tents. Coordinate via text or phone call, tell them the field and meet them at a landmark in that field and walk them to where you're based. 

Saving space is the tricky bit, easier in some fields than others. Rule of thumb is it's going to be almost impossible after about midday in Oxlyers, Paine's etc for anything bigger than a 3man. The more large tents you have the earlier you need to get there for busy spots. 

• Thanks 1

We arrived Tuesday last year around 10am, it was pretty packed already in the Campervan field. We were about 20 minutes walk from the gate into the Festival.

We'd probably give Tuesday a miss and arrive Thursday this year, but just can't bear to be any further back than this year. 

16 minutes ago, foolee said:

Does Darble fill up quickly? Like we got a space easily arriving early however if I were to get in late afternoon/evening Wednesday would there still be a spot? 

Much quicker in 2023 than previous years.

That was largely down to the crazy layout changes made by the Festival, so much will depend on whether they fix that next time out.

I'll be arriving Thursday at some point not sure what time as bought coach package... my friend is worried we won't be able to camp together... we will have three tents. Will it already be rammed by Thursday? Will it be likely we'll find a decent camping spot ? I've normally arrived on Wednesday and had no issuesI'll be arriving Thursday at some point not sure what time as bought coach package from Nottingham... my friend is worried we won't be able to camp together... we will have three tents. Will it already be rammed by Thursday? Will it be likely we'll find a decent camping spot ? I've normally arrived on Wednesday and had no issues 

25 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

We arrived Tuesday last year around 10am, it was pretty packed already in the Campervan field. We were about 20 minutes walk from the gate into the Festival.

We'd probably give Tuesday a miss and arrive Thursday this year, but just can't bear to be any further back than this year. 

Thats not necessarily the case. We got there real early one year on the Tuesday and got directed way back to E17. Next year we arrived later and were much closer. Its a bit of a lottery.

Having done a good few in campervans and a good few in tents, its tents all the way.

8 minutes ago, hblow said:

I'll be arriving Thursday at some point not sure what time as bought coach package... my friend is worried we won't be able to camp together... we will have three tents. Will it already be rammed by Thursday? Will it be likely we'll find a decent camping spot ? I've normally arrived on Wednesday and had no issuesI'll be arriving Thursday at some point not sure what time as bought coach package from Nottingham... my friend is worried we won't be able to camp together... we will have three tents. Will it already be rammed by Thursday? Will it be likely we'll find a decent camping spot ? I've normally arrived on Wednesday and had no issues 

There is always space you'll just be out somewhere like Bailey's or South park. 

Honestly I do think everyone over thinks camping spaces, there's plenty and none of them are actually that far from anything.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Thats not necessarily the case. We got there real early one year on the Tuesday and got directed way back to E17. Next year we arrived later and were much closer. Its a bit of a lottery.

Having done a good few in campervans and a good few in tents, its tents all the way.

Done lots of festivals, but first Glastonbury last year.

0 chance I'd do it in a tent, lucky enough to campervan it and it's just so much comfier. 

Need to sleep really well after the insane walking. 

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

There is always space you'll just be out somewhere like Bailey's or South park. 

Honestly I do think everyone over thinks camping spaces, there's plenty and none of them are actually that far from anything.

To fair this is what I've been saying, I just wanted to make sure haha. I'm happy camping any where haha

• Upvote 1

I think we'll stick to what we did last year. Arrive Tuesday night around 00:00, overnight in the car until morning. Then either wait for the queue to calm down or just give it a crack and go ahead and queue with everyone at PGA or PGD. Will for sure still aim for Bushy, had a nice spot close to water and toilets, not too busy and most of the times we ended up at Silver Hayes or Arcadia as a close. 

11 minutes ago, pigital said:

I think we'll stick to what we did last year. Arrive Tuesday night around 00:00, overnight in the car until morning. Then either wait for the queue to calm down or just give it a crack and go ahead and queue with everyone at PGA or PGD. Will for sure still aim for Bushy, had a nice spot close to water and toilets, not too busy and most of the times we ended up at Silver Hayes or Arcadia as a close. 

No point waiting in your car - once you're awake, you might as well be queuing! 

Does anyone know if the triangle of camp between arcadia & The Park was open for camping this year? it's always been green on the map when we've camped there before but it seems to have turned grey now  - managed to have my tent against some of the black fencing in 2022 and it helped in the morning sunshine immensely 

13 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

No point waiting in your car - once you're awake, you might as well be queuing! 

Does anyone know if the triangle of camp between arcadia & The Park was open for camping this year? it's always been green on the map when we've camped there before but it seems to have turned grey now  - managed to have my tent against some of the black fencing in 2022 and it helped in the morning sunshine immensely 

No it was handed over to Arcadia crew camping this year 😤. (We usually camp there too!)

Pick up camper the day before. Nag husband silly to get his sh*t sorted ( he loves to faff!) so camper is ready to go . Jump in and go around 9am Wednesday. Traditional stop at service station on M3. Go woooo when driving past Stonehenge. Get childishly excited when turning off the A303. Land. Get out the light buffet I have prepared for lunch with some lovely rose (the bag ones from marks and sparks). Trundle on site 1pm. Is this the detail you were looking for? 😃 

4 hours ago, incident said:

Much quicker in 2023 than previous years.

That was largely down to the crazy layout changes made by the Festival, so much will depend on whether they fix that next time out.

This might change my plans then.

Usually arrive by coach on Wednesday afternoon and camp in Bushy Ground but got a 3am Thursday morning coach so was considering camping in Darble if we're arriving by coach on Thursday morning.

Maybe going to have to consider a plan B.

Another vote for the simplicity of strolling in at your leisure and camping in lime kiln (though it’s getting busier). I could arrive any time and know where our group will be camped as we’ve been in the same place since 2009 (well, that year wicket ground wasn’t family camping so we were lower down the hill). 

This was our camp on the Sunday in 2017, still plenty of room (though definitely more popular than it was)

image.thumb.jpeg.8176f3e5feee79619befa713e822a9f0.jpeg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, a.shep said:

This will be our fifth year but the first time we will be trying for campervan tickets. I’m thinking east quiet CV, any tips on arrival time on the Tuesday? 

We were in east quiet last year and arrived about 2/3pm.  We were at the back end admitted but still plenty of room.  

It filled up rapidly by early evening though.

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Another vote for the simplicity of strolling in at your leisure and camping in lime kiln (though it’s getting busier). I could arrive any time and know where our group will be camped as we’ve been in the same place since 2009 (well, that year wicket ground wasn’t family camping so we were lower down the hill). 

This was our camp on the Sunday in 2017, still plenty of room (though definitely more popular than it was)

That looks far more civilised than I remember camping. 😀

8 hours ago, Derby_Dave said:

We were in east quiet last year and arrived about 2/3pm.  We were at the back end admitted but still plenty of room.  

It filled up rapidly by early evening though.

That’s helpful thanks. We were considering travelling after work from Leeds so wouldn’t arrive until 10/11pm.. would you say that’s too late and we’d struggle to get a spot? 

13 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

This is where we camped in 22. Arrived Thursday at 10.30am, wristbands by 10.45am, setting up the tent at 11.10am. Out and about by midday.

image.thumb.png.b63c8e59726bc313cc76f6b609d8efaf.png

Ill never understand the overnighter crews. f**king weirdos. 

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

This is where we camped in 22. Arrived Thursday at 10.30am, wristbands by 10.45am, setting up the tent at 11.10am. Out and about by midday.

image.thumb.png.b63c8e59726bc313cc76f6b609d8efaf.png

Ill never understand the overnighter crews. f**king weirdos. 

That looks pretty close to where we were too! We always camp just above the road in Lime Kiln and about that far along as it flattens out a bit. Definitely a much more leisurely experience (though the first hike up the hill with all the gear is fun!)