What is your arrival strategy ?

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, sokkovokna said:

If anyone has some advice for me, would be much appreciated. I can still cancel my hotel without charge and change my arrival strategy.

Yeah, i think this is a perfect plan- if you're particularly fussed about camping in a specific in-demand field then getting there earlier would be advantageous, but i favour a decent night's sleep and a good breakfast (and a last good shower!) before camping as near as possible inside the gate.

Getting to the gates for 11am-midday would likely see you breezing in with not too much of a queue and would be much preferable to an overnight queue hell. The drive back on the monday is best off via the a303, a36 through salisbury and then down the a27 right along the coast - that would be far preferable than motorways, though thats always down to opinions! 

have a great time 👍

Thank you for your reply

13 hours ago, p.pete said:

Don't worry too much about East/West in terms of getting back to Folkestone - worry about getting out of the carparks on time on Monday if you have a specific time that you need to be there at though!

I don't understand. Folkestone is East, won't it be a bigger hassle to get all the way around the West part of the site? I have a EuroTunnel Train at 18:50. I don't understand either that the Glasto site says that the East side is less crowdy, because I would have tought that most people would arrive from the East side (for example London) since Glasto is very West in England. So almost all of the country would arrive from East side?

I've had a quick look at North Brewham (had never heard of it before 🙂) - definitely easier for you to get to the East car parks from there - but if you are not getting there until after 10/11am have a thought about where you actually want to camp.

I've read the Glastearth guide. In the end I think it does not matter THAT much where I camp. Thought about Big Ground indeed, but not a problem if it is full already. I do think I want a "higher" camp in case of a wet edition. I've seen videos of 2005... Last time I checked there were still some rooms for 1 person in Glastonbury town. I could cancel the North Brewham one if I find another option. But I tought it would be logic to get the hotel at Eastern side sinde I'm coming from Folkestone.

f I'd not been before, and didn't want to arrive really tired, I'd be inclined to arrive later and aim for the West car parks, accepting that your tent might end up being a walk from the middle of the festival (you won't be alone wherever it is). 

I mean I guess that is still possible. Checkout at ten in the hotel in North Brewham and then go all the way around the site to go West. But I wouldn't know what roads I should choose. I guess my gps won't be a help so close to the site and I have to follow local directions.

Edited by sokkovokna
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sokkovokna said:

I do think I want a "higher" camp in case of a wet edition. I've seen videos of 2005...

I think your plan is fine.

I wouldn’t stress about the arrival time if you’re coming alone, you don’t have a huge tent and you’re not looking to camp in a specific area. Stroll in anytime before 2pm on Wednesday and you’ll still have plenty of good options.

There’s a lot to take in when arriving for the first time. Nothing can really prepare you for the size an beauty of the place. I suggest taking your time and soaking up the atmosphere.

You don’t necessarily need a higher camp spot if it’s a wet year. Try to avoid being in a dip where a puddle could form around you and I would always avoid being downhill from toilets or taps.

Be cautious about camping too close to a major walkway in a busier part of the site. That might be a bit tricky to identify if it’s your first time. Spots that look perfect on Wednesday can look very different by Friday pm. Do ask your neighbours or stewards for advice.

6 hours ago, sokkovokna said:

I don't understand. Folkestone is East, won't it be a bigger hassle to get all the way around the West part of the site? I have a EuroTunnel Train at 18:50. I don't understand either that the Glasto site says that the East side is less crowdy, because I would have tought that most people would arrive from the East side (for example London) since Glasto is very West in England. So almost all of the country would arrive from East side?

The larger roads leading to Glastonbury are the A303 (south of the festival), M4 (north) and M5 (West).

People from London can go along the M4 and then cut down to aim for either East or West of the festival.  I come from West along the A303 and end up on the east of the festival.  Yes lots of people coming from London, most of the country's population is Eastwards like you say, but for the festival people are very well represented from Bristol, Wales and North of the country and people do try to approach the festival aiming for the side they want to end up at.

Edit: to answer your question around hassle - yes, definitely more hassle - my thought is not 'that' much hassle before the festival, maybe an extra 20 minutes driving?  Probably a lot more extra driving time after the festival though.  With your responses re actually you're travelling light and not bringing a massive tent I think your plan is good and minimal hassle.

Edited by p.pete

i think its always worth remembering that no matter where you park, no matter what field youre aiming for, and regardless of how light you think you've packed: carrying all your stuff from the car to the campsite WILL be a colossal ballache and absolutely knackering. When you know that and set your sights accordingly, it makes life much easier. Dont bound out of the car all full of enthusiasm and excitement, delay that until tent is up and shit is sorted!  it'll be miles through fields, your shoulders and arms will hurt, and you WILL mouth swears at the knobhead in front of you weaving around and clearly not noticing you're doing something just behind him. You just will, its normal, its fine, and it wont last long. you're nearly there 👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

i think its always worth remembering that no matter where you park, no matter what field youre aiming for, and regardless of how light you think you've packed: carrying all your stuff from the car to the campsite WILL be a colossal ballache and absolutely knackering. When you know that and set your sights accordingly, it makes life much easier. Dont bound out of the car all full of enthusiasm and excitement, delay that until tent is up and shit is sorted!  it'll be miles through fields, your shoulders and arms will hurt, and you WILL mouth swears at the knobhead in front of you weaving around and clearly not noticing you're doing something just behind him. You just will, its normal, its fine, and it wont last long. you're nearly there 👍

100% 😄  

51 minutes ago, sokkovokna said:

Apparently the number of "Thanks"- or "Like"-reactions I can add to posts are limited per day. But thanks for your input @balti-pie @Fishinginthelongdrops@p.pete!

Don't worry about it 😄 - I like the idea more that in some small way I might be able to help someone have a very-slightly-improved amazing festival

First time me and the mrs are going by ourselves this year so going bath and west to get the bus, done that before (but had others have stuff for us) and seen people have trollies. We will probably need one this year but says on website no trolleys allowed but like I said seen almost everyone has one, do they actually allow?

1 minute ago, Supreme2 said:

First time me and the mrs are going by ourselves this year so going bath and west to get the bus, done that before (but had others have stuff for us) and seen people have trollies. We will probably need one this year but says on website no trolleys allowed but like I said seen almost everyone has one, do they actually allow?

Wow

Now that would be a game changer

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

100% the slog is real and unavoidable.

Trying to rush on site as early as possible is a choice that can add to the stress. Unless you want to camp in a particularly popular area, or you want to camp together as a group, I personally wouldn’t bother.

For me, the festival is at its best once everyone has acclimatised and begin to act differently than they might in the outside world. Queueing for hours and scrambling for a camping spot are behaviours I associate with the outside world that I’m escaping for a few beautiful days.

Although no matter how relaxed I try to make the arrival process, the feeling once inside the fence, and again once the tent is pitched, are pure bliss.

1 hour ago, Supreme2 said:

haha what im saying is when we went last couple of years we was in the minority without a trolley and knowing my luck if we took one we would get told no!

From the website is specifies Large, I don't know what that would mean specifically, though there'd need to be space on the shuttle bus from Bath and Wells to store it. I'm fairly sure that's not a new rule so if you've seen people use the shuttle bus with trolleys of some sort before I'd try one of those.

'Please do not arrive with large wheel barrows, wheelie bins or trollies as these will not be transported to the site.'

Does anyone know which gate is best if hoping to camp in oxylers. Enjoyed camping there a few times in the past but always arrived by coach those years. Will have the car this year and hoping to get on site by 6am. I'm not sure if gate D would be better as it doesn't prioritise coach arrivals? 

Also does it fill up quicker these days? Seem to remember about 10 years ago being able to get a spot before midday no problem.

5 minutes ago, becs94 said:

Does anyone know which gate is best if hoping to camp in oxylers. Enjoyed camping there a few times in the past but always arrived by coach those years. Will have the car this year and hoping to get on site by 6am. I'm not sure if gate D would be better as it doesn't prioritise coach arrivals? 

Gate D is a straight walk in to Oxylers and is your best bet.  Gate A is a little further away but it's also the coach / shuttle bus drop off which gets priority over the car people

2 hours ago, becs94 said:

Also does it fill up quicker these days? Seem to remember about 10 years ago being able to get a spot before midday no problem.

@DareToDibble 

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I've only ever arrived via Gate A as I get dropped at the Drop and Collect point and get a shuttle bus over to the coach park.

One of our friends drove and parked in Orange and her walk from Gate D was pretty much just a straight line through Dairy Ground so either of those 2 gates will be fine. I wouldn't fancy the walk from B or C mind!

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I've only ever arrived via Gate A as I get dropped at the Drop and Collect point and get a shuttle bus over to the coach park.

One of our friends drove and parked in Orange and her walk from Gate D was pretty much just a straight line through Dairy Ground so either of those 2 gates will be fine. I wouldn't fancy the walk from B or C mind!

i meant the how quickly it fills up bit 🙂 

27 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

i meant the how quickly it fills up bit 🙂 

Sorry I missed that bit @becs94! Whilst I can't give you an exact time as I'm normally in and camp set up by about 9am I do always see that "90% full" sign up when I return to camp after a brief wander. As a rough guide I think you'd struggle to find space for a group after about midday/early afternoon.

If it's just 1 or 2 small tents I'm sure you'd find space around the edges but a group of a few of you or some big tents and you might struggle.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to stay in Cockmill Meadow family camping. Does anyone know by what time it is usually full?

Our plan is to arrive on site about 8.30am on the Wednesday. We’re coming from London, so any tips on the best route to the east side of the festival and be near Gate B would be great. 

Thanks!

Was fortunate enough to do 18 in a row, 1998 to 2018, but failed to get tix for the last two

However, this year I'm back

After several years in Pennard, including the infamous floods year, the latter 4/5 have been Paines Ground. Subject to further research I'll head there again. I would never camp down in the flat to the north of the rail line. I've seen that area under ankle deep water fast too many times 🌧️🌧️🌧️

Also for the last 4/5 I've done overnight queue at Gate D, including totally front spot a couple of times. 

Intend to stick with that plan again this year. 

4 hours ago, dannym said:

Looking to stay in Cockmill Meadow family camping. Does anyone know by what time it is usually full?

Our plan is to arrive on site about 8.30am on the Wednesday. We’re coming from London, so any tips on the best route to the east side of the festival and be near Gate B would be great. 

Thanks!

Some of our group took kids in 2019 and camped in Cockmill.  It was pretty full by about 10:00 and the south side is a fairly steep slope so that fills up last.  We come down from the North and head for the East car parks.  Basically as you get close to the site you'll be directed by stewards and end up where you end up.  We usually aim for gate C but trying to aim for B this time.

Any idea which way your best coming in to the site to get near gate D? Will be arriving early on the Tuesday afternoon and hoping to camp up at oxlyers like normal but we ended up walking from gate A last year and it was a right trek. Need to save my knees!

6 minutes ago, btizzle said:

Any idea which way your best coming in to the site to get near gate D? Will be arriving early on the Tuesday afternoon and hoping to camp up at oxlyers like normal but we ended up walking from gate A last year and it was a right trek. Need to save my knees!

We come down from the North and used to drive in from the M5 through Glastonbury Town every year to get to West car parks.  Almost by accident ended up in the queue for gate D every year.  I think the stewards try to get those driving to aim for D instead of A so the coach arrivals don't get a huge queue.  You should be fine.

• Thanks 1