Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

14 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

yes, but there's nothing artistic or contemporary about reusing a bunch of crappy old cars to do something you already did 30 years ago.

i actually don't care either way about WG, can't recall ever seeing anyone there, it was better when Left Field was on the corner.

i realise as someone who is firmly in the "it was better in the old days" camp, i should probably be supportive of a 21st century Car Henge... buuuuut..... nah.

(also i know this was all from ages ago but just catching up on this thread....)

🙂

I had the same thought when they remade John Carpenter's The Thing, haha.

Just now, paulshane said:

The 'festival goer' that died was a friend of mine who was hitchhiking to the festival with another guy, they were both hit by a van, and the driver didn't stop as he'd be drinking. My friend, Byron, died and the other guy, who I didn't know, died sevral months later from his injuries.

His funeral was the first one I'd been to that wasn't an elderly relative.

Dont drink and drive please.

Oh man, that's tragic 😢 

18 minutes ago, paulshane said:

The 'festival goer' that died was a friend of mine who was hitchhiking to the festival with another guy, they were both hit by a van, and the driver didn't stop as he'd be drinking. My friend, Byron, died and the other guy, who I didn't know, died sevral months later from his injuries.

Blimey, sorry to hear that.

21 minutes ago, paulshane said:

oh wow RIP 😞

We were on holiday in Scotland in 1995 when a drink driver in a transit van hit my mums Fiesta side on at 80mph....my mum stopped to turn off for our holiday chalet waiting for the traffic coming the other way to pass and the transit man who was travelling the same way as us decided to put his foot down, overtake the 5 cars sat behind us and then hit my mums car just as she crossed the lane....luckily the car didn't flip, and more luckily it had side impact bars (they were a newish thing back then)....had it not I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale.

my brother had to have his spine put back in place aged 10 and my mum took two years to recover from her injuries.  The reason (I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum) that nearly 30 years later I still have issues with my back and shoulder relate to that crash.

The bloke who hit us was breathalysed and was found to be twice over the limit, then it turned out he had no licence or insurance as he was already disqualified from driving for another drink driving offence a few years prior.  He wound up going to jail for five years.

Don't drink and drive.

Edited by gooner1990

8 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I thought Rimski's Yard was on the right just after coming through ped gate C?

It is but is also just over the way from Astrolabe. 

52 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It is, so it should be the last stop before gate C

I hadn't really clocked that gate C was further up the map, last stop before that would be good. 

51 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

yes, but there's nothing artistic or contemporary about reusing a bunch of crappy old cars to do something you already did 30 years ago.

The thing that made the original carhenge so special was, not so much the installation, but the interaction from the festival goers.

I feel the festival may have missed a trick here and I imagine carhenge 2.0 will be a stale art piece rather than an interactive installation.

As I said before, IMO it would have been better placed in Unfairground, which could do with a revamp, and made part of a stage for "old school" festival bands.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to checking out the finished Carhenge onsite and seeing how it fits into the festival. For me it's good to see little changes like this taking place.

Just now, Skip997 said:

The thing that made the original carhenge so special was, not so much the installation, but the interaction from the festival goers.

exactly - the original car henge was a few years before my time, but from what i understand people wanted to dance, and to dance you need sound so people started banging out beats on whatever was to hand - the cars - and a rudimentary rave is invented.

these days pretty much every single stage is catered by an endless list of bland dj's (show me the gabba!) and sticking a few cars that you need to find a use for on there ends is not going to inspire anything.

to those of us that it would have any meaning for, it just feels like a lazy throwback (speaking personally of course).

and for any of the younger crowd - why would they care? what does it mean to them?

does stonehenge have any meaning for them? do they even know what happened in the beanfield in '85? (maybe they do, maybe i'm just a bitter old man... i dont know).

it just all feels a bit... i dont know... pointless?

12 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Looks great. You could maybe add Rimski's Yard as a lot of people don't seem to know where it is but I don't think you could squeeze it in. Maybe make it Astrolabe/Rimski's Yard?

Or you could just leave it, it's only small anyway.

9 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I hadn't really clocked that gate C was further up the map, last stop before that would be good. 

Top work everyone - beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Can I have a link to that.

I've started writing a piece about the influence of UK counter culture on the  festival.

This is useful.

I got it from this tweet off an account I follow that sends out pages from old copies of NME and Melody Maker...

He included the review in a later tweet...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

A small stage featuring Carhenge as a backdrop would have been fun at William's Green

I think there must be some kind of stage because they've got performers listed in the description. Sounds like they're in the centre of it all. Could be without a stage as well and they're in with the general public... Not sure what to make of it really.

image.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

exactly - the original car henge was a few years before my time, but from what i understand people wanted to dance, and to dance you need sound so people started banging out beats on whatever was to hand - the cars - and a rudimentary rave is invented.

these days pretty much every single stage is catered by an endless list of bland dj's (show me the gabba!) and sticking a few cars that you need to find a use for on there ends is not going to inspire anything.

to those of us that it would have any meaning for, it just feels like a lazy throwback (speaking personally of course).

and for any of the younger crowd - why would they care? what does it mean to them?

does stonehenge have any meaning for them? do they even know what happened in the beanfield in '85? (maybe they do, maybe i'm just a bitter old man... i dont know).

it just all feels a bit... i dont know... pointless?

These guys look and sound anything but bland tbf.

Fulu-Miziki-3-credit-Francois-Fleury.jpg

19 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Looks great. You could maybe add Rimski's Yard as a lot of people don't seem to know where it is but I don't think you could squeeze it in. Maybe make it Astrolabe/Rimski's Yard?

Or you could just leave it, it's only small anyway.

16 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

9 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

8 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Thanks all! Added 👍 Have to admit, I don't spend too much time up there so not sure I've ever visited. Will try to swing by this year.
Will leave it a day or two for any other suggestions to shake out and then send it print (and stick some shareable versions on here).

image.png.405b9f785513f63285a39d712ac0f5e1.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, deadstillstanding said:

Thanks all! Added 👍 Have to admit, I don't spend too much time up there so not sure I've ever visited. Will try to swing by this year.
Will leave it a day or two for any other suggestions to shake out and then send it print (and stick some shareable versions on here).

image.png.405b9f785513f63285a39d712ac0f5e1.png

👍 But should be above the line as it's on the right after entering through the gate.  If that's not too pedantic!

8 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

oh wow RIP 😞

We were on holiday in Scotland in 1995 when a drink driver in a transit van hit my mums Fiesta side on at 80mph....my mum stopped to turn off for our holiday chalet waiting for the traffic coming the other way to pass and the transit man who was travelling the same way as us decided to put his foot down, overtake the 5 cars sat behind us and then hit my mums car just as she crossed the lane....luckily the car didn't flip, and more luckily it had side impact bars (they were a newish thing back then)....had it not I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale.

my brother had to have his spine put back in place aged 10 and my mum took two years to recover from her injuries.  The reason (I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum) that nearly 30 years later I still have issues with my back and shoulder relate to that crash.

The bloke who hit us was breathalysed and was found to be twice over the limit, then it turned out he had no licence or insurance as he was already disqualified from driving for another drink driving offence a few years prior.  He wound up going to jail for five years.

Don't drink and drive.

Shitty death. Glad you all lived to tell the tale. That driver- what a douchebag.

12 hours ago, paulshane said:

Gosh, that’s awful. I’m so sorry. 

Hello. 

If we are allowed to be pedantic, I would suggest making The Park the station and Stonebridge a smaller stop. 

Evenly spaced Park stops should look good. 

Maybe overkill but how about the ribbon tower being coloured in (rainbow colours) and that being the place that the other roads connect as it’s a fairly major landmark?

Love it. 

IMG_2949.thumb.jpeg.3bb5f8154cbec5ff8801d6020fe7bcbe.jpeg

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Hello. 

If we are allowed to be pedantic,

Welcome friend. Proceed.

I would suggest making The Park the station and Stonebridge a smaller stop. 

That would be my preference too, and in previous versions it was. But in reality the stage it is set back a fair bit and –  especially with the new walkway just north of it – Stonebridge is a much better marker for that junction.

image.png.0e46cd9fd88cc1a3dfea8c722d12c1cb.png

The map logic is that junctions are stations rather than stages. Hence Pyramid and Other are little stations instead of big'ns.

Evenly spaced Park stops should look good. 

The fine fiddling will come at the end. If i polish every version I start to go a bit mad when I have to move everything 20 pixels left to make enough room that NOWHERE doesn't wrap to two lines and remains ambiguous in meaning.

Yes, I do overthink this.

Maybe overkill but how about the ribbon tower being coloured in (rainbow colours) and that being the place that the other roads connect as it’s a fairly major landmark?

Wouldn't be so legible. And, as above, the bar is the junction really.

Love it. 

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/23/2023 at 10:42 PM, deadstillstanding said:

Alright, I think I've got most of the 2023 changes in for this year's Green Welfare tube map. Please can anyone who knows better point out anything I've missed?

(Have slapped a big ol' watermark on it because the draft got pinched and shared on social last year with a bunch of stuff still wrong on it.)

Glasto 2023 tube map_DRAFT.jpg

Quick question, not sure if you got asked before, is this available on a mug or t-shirt on Etsy/Redbubble, somewhere? I've got a few novelty birthday presents to order 😄

• Upvote 1