Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

4 hours ago, stuie said:

Oh I don’t remember it being so sour but I remember them making a statement thanking Emily for the helping them create camplight. I guess it was more hissy behind the scenes!

I might be overegging it slightly with "petulant fit" - but the suggestion was that the festival tried to move them to a less prime location on at least a couple of occasions - which Camplight consistently refused to do - before the festival finally got fed up and removed them. Can't remember the specifics of what they said publicly, but I think there was some attempt by Camplight to mobilise people to contact the festival which inevitably backfired.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Camplight d@bbing down predates the arrival of the Pier by a few years.

Nope - the pier debuted in 2019, which also was the first year Camplight were gone. May not be a direct cause and effect, but the timeline matches exactly.

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Camplight d@bbing down predates the arrival of the Pier by a few years.

2 hours ago, incident said:

I might be overegging it slightly with "petulant fit" - but the suggestion was that the festival tried to move them to a less prime location on at least a couple of occasions - which Camplight consistently refused to do - before the festival finally got fed up and removed them. Can't remember the specifics of what they said publicly, but I think there was some attempt by Camplight to mobilise people to contact the festival which inevitably backfired.

Nope - the pier debuted in 2019, which also was the first year Camplight were gone. May not be a direct cause and effect, but the timeline matches exactly.

Yes, 2017 was their last. Didn’t come back after the fallow year. Publicly they were quite muted about it but I guess there may have been fits in the background! 

9510B535-5CB2-43D9-A5D4-80D9654BF2C3.jpeg

BE05B706-A792-4A21-9F19-B98C1C5734B2.jpeg

Managed to get a wander round the pier last year, it was too busy in 2019. Nice attraction, love the robot band and the walkabout entertainers. I do think it’s one of those places that once experienced I wouldn’t go out my way to revisit. Kids will like it and relocating the avalon helter skelter to near  it was a good idea. 

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Managed to get a wander round the pier last year, it was too busy in 2019. Nice attraction, love the robot band and the walkabout entertainers. I do think it’s one of those places that once experienced I wouldn’t go out my way to revisit. Kids will like it and relocating the avalon helter skelter to near  it was a good idea. 

Ooh they moved the heater skelter out of Avalon..??

did they replace with something or just create more ball room for the misplaced giant acts?

I think like Crazy already said, the Pier is still in it's early days and there's lots of ways they could now improve on it year on year. 

I quite like it, the theming is really good it really feels like you ended up somewhere completely different. The souvenirs are good fun too. The Robot band is SO clever. People moan about the theming gradually disappearing in other parts of the site, the pier gives you exactly that... it's barmy really. Stop being spoilt 😜😜

I didn't personally spend much time at Williams Green last year, I've always seen it as the shopping/walk through area really...

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Upvote 2

I like The Pier. Really does make me feel like I am at the seaside. Will miss the randomness of acts playing the Williams Green tent. Interested to see what happens with that area. 

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I think like Crazy already said, the Pier is still in it's early days and there's lots of ways they could now improve on it year on year. 

I quite like it, the theming is really good it really feels like you ended up somewhere completely different. The souvenirs are good fun too. The Robot band is SO clever. People moan about the theming gradually disappearing in other parts of the site, the pier gives you exactly that... it's barmy really. Stop being spoilt 😜😜

I didn't personally spend much time at Williams Green last year, I've always seen it as the shopping/walk through area really...

Yes, hopefully the pier is evolving. We enjoy wandering about Williams green though I for some reason tend to attract the walkabout acts, the seagulls, gazoo band, arctic explorers, women in dog costumes😉, etc etc. they must think I’m a soft target. Even ended up being roped into a crazy comedy act full of mad props  up near gate C. Mrs c walked away😊

Thinking about WIlliams Green going, one option would be to put the acts who played there (up-and-coming pop and indie acts) on somewhere like the Rum Shack. It's not normally used during the day so is free and might be smaller but (Thursday night aside) has enough capacity for the crowds the acts I saw got.

44 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Thinking about WIlliams Green going, one option would be to put the acts who played there (up-and-coming pop and indie acts) on somewhere like the Rum Shack. It's not normally used during the day so is free and might be smaller but (Thursday night aside) has enough capacity for the crowds the acts I saw got.

I'm expecting Williams Green to be changing, not actually going. 

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Loved the view from the pier - we got there when it was quiet too so spent a bit of time looking out over the site

Us too.  Early Saturday in 2019 before it got head-meltingly hot.  Had ice creams and candy floss and looked over the site, then wandered round the installations.  Enjoyed it.

thee pier looks good, but once you have walked to the end took a photo and walked off. you have done it . 

never went in cinemageddon, but camped next to it and used to go and get head phones and watch from the outside 

shame, they ha a great sausage van 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s gonna have the car installation … it just really depends if they have a stage there or not ? 

A stage, not a tent I reckon.

3 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Agree for me Williams Green is in completely the wrong place as we saw last year when they had to close the whole area. I like the pier as well. I would actually like more stuff like that and less money spent on djs but that's why they have to find a balance. 

I'm honestly expecting quite a bit to change this year.  No more than gut feel on the little bits of anecdotal evidence but as someone posted above, when you list it, there's been a quite a lot hinted at already.

I actually really liked William's Green apart from the Thursday nonsense which would cause carnage in any medium sized venue when there's nothing else on.  Some good food/bar options and a nice venue for smaller indie stuff and late night cheesy music DJ's.  I'll miss that if it goes altogether.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Us too.  Early Saturday in 2019 before it got head-meltingly hot.  Had ice creams and candy floss and looked over the site, then wandered round the installations.  Enjoyed it.

I find the view is a bit more defined than up on the hill where everything looks tiny. A completely unique perspective of the site as you can make out a lot more

24 minutes ago, MadDog29 said:

When can we expect a Site Map?

TBF this is probably now the one announcement I'm waiting on.  The already announced food vendors and acts has enough in it to keep me happy.  I now want to know what the site's gonna be like and work out if we need to change camping spot.

13 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

TBF this is probably now the one announcement I'm waiting on.  The already announced food vendors and acts has enough in it to keep me happy.  I now want to know what the site's gonna be like and work out if we need to change camping spot.

5 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Agree for me Williams Green is in completely the wrong place as we saw last year when they had to close the whole area. I like the pier as well. I would actually like more stuff like that and less money spent on djs but that's why they have to find a balance. 

The changes I'm expecting are mostly in response to the crowding. So Williams green (or replacement) moving into its own field so it can be more easily closed off. Like BBC introducing got in 2022. Maybe to where the pharmacy was?m

And possibly moving Arcadia a field over so they can get rid of that awful choke point by Arcadia/toilets/park entrance.