Families will not be allowed in the notorious after-hours south-east corner after 10pm

Nice hymer

25 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I wonder if they might U turn on this?

Does anyone else remember the email they sent out before Glastonbury 2013 stating that people would only be allowed to bring alcohol in with them on first entry and it could be no more than you can carry in your hands? Then they sent out a 'clarification' afterwards saying actually you could just carry on as normal but they'd encourage people to drink responsibly?

20 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

More than likely mate. Group we know from Sheffield were in the thick of it.

Lots of contrition and hand wringing the next day but the damage was done.

Sounds like these were a minority of nob heads like there are in all walks of life. Pretty sure parents and children don't automatically mean there's going to be trouble. Very anecdotal imo 

Even though its not my personal cup of tea to take my little poppets raving in the south east corner...walking through on my own last year I didn't experience ANY crowding, or witness anything which made me go 'oh goodness children shouldn't see that!' (Except maybe the willy ping pong in the unfairground) 🤣 

In fact they can hear swear words watching an afternoon pyramid set and there was a load of nudies on stage in the circus tent.

I just don't understand all the parenting judgement!! I'm pretty sure no ones really going to be that bothered about them enforcing this but It is possible to have a wander around the SE corner perfectly sober and not throw your 3 year old into a mosh pit with a bag of Charlie 🤣🤣  It doesn't automatically make someone a bad parent, pretty sure they're not doing it to teach naughty parents a lesson 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Sounds like these were a minority of nob heads like there are in all walks of life. Pretty sure parents and children don't automatically mean there's going to be trouble. Very anecdotal imo 

Even though its not my personal cup of tea to take my little poppets raving in the south east corner...walking through on my own last year I didn't experience ANY crowding, or witness anything which made me go 'oh goodness children shouldn't see that!' (Except maybe the willy ping pong in the unfairground) 🤣 

In fact they can hear swear words watching an afternoon pyramid set and there was a load of nudies on stage in the circus tent.

I just don't understand all the parenting judgement!! I'm pretty sure no ones really going to be that bothered about them enforcing this but It is possible to have a wander around the SE corner perfectly sober and not throw your 3 year old into a mosh pit with a bag of Charlie 🤣🤣  

There was definitely crowding at points even if you didn't see it yourself. see also blatant drug use - not exactly ideal for kids.

I think older children like at least about 10 but 7 year olds wondering around listening to deafening techno at 3am is just not the one, let alone babies in pushchairs

Just now, gfa said:

There was definitely crowding at points even if you didn't see it yourself. see also blatant drug use - not exactly ideal for kids.

I think older children like at least about 10 but 7 year olds wondering around listening to deafening techno at 3am is just not the one, let alone babies in pushchairs

There's crowding and blatant drug use across the whole festival though... 

1 minute ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Not to the same levels that are in the SE corner.

guess its dark so harder to see i guess 😂

this won't be enforced anyway

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Not as obvious and constantly in your face as the SE corner - you can’t turn your head without seeing somebody absolutely off their face and stumbling all over the place. The idea of kids in that kind of environment is mental to me.

• Upvote 1

I hear you but the alarming point is the people involved in that situation are not knobheads routinely. It's interesting what a couple of days of IPA for breakfast and more narcs than is rational can do to cloud ones judgement. 

I don't disagree with you on the by and large. I can only relate personal experiences from 60 plus festivals.

As a parent and now grandparent I am undoubtedly becoming more risk averse as one does with age and accept that.

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

they do look at wristbands down there .... although not a check on everyone security certainly keep eyes open 

Zero evidence for it, but I've always assumed the "give us a high five/wave" type schtick as you go through the barriers was done largely with this in mind

5 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

I don't ever recall a moment where I've seen a child 'at risk'. If I had, I would be compelled to step in or contact stewards, we've all got a duty to look out for each other

I saw a woman with a child strapped to her front in SE corner around 4am one year, absolutely off her tits and no ear defenders on the kid. So it does happen. I also wouldn't feel comfortable narcing on her to a steward, but it really freaked me out at the time 

15 minutes ago, IceCreamVan said:

I saw a woman with a child strapped to her front in SE corner around 4am one year, absolutely off her tits and no ear defenders on the kid. So it does happen. I also wouldn't feel comfortable narcing on her to a steward, but it really freaked me out at the time 

But my point is that's an irresponsible parent, and nothing to do with rules in the SE corner... She'd still be in that state regardless 

19 minutes ago, IceCreamVan said:

But if there was a rule she'd have been asked to leave by stewards 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

But in this scenario, the child is still at risk of the parent and the parents lack of judgement due to being intoxicated. The child isn't at risk from the SE corner? That's a whole other social issue...

Not every parent or person in general who wanders through are off their face. Lots of people do just have a little wander around and take in the way the area and the installations come to life. 

I agree with the rule for many reasons but I don't agree with the judgies.  If someone is a bad parent, they're a bad parent. Wandering through the SE corner with your child doesnt make you one. You can have a wander through this area perfectly safely. There are lots of things the children might see as we are generally walking around all parts of the festival, hence why some of my friends and family wonder why I even take them at all. But that's my job as a parent to be on the ball and guide them and have conversations about these things as I deem appropriate. And the overall fun and education completely outweighs the rare naughty thing they 'might' notice. 

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, waltere said:

Zero evidence for it, but I've always assumed the "give us a high five/wave" type schtick as you go through the barriers was done largely with this in mind

It's been a while but I definitely always saw that as a wristband check.

I definitely think this refers to buggies and trolleys etc as a safety precaution, which I don't think is controversial given the terrain and darkness in that area. No way are they going to be checking for people's ages. Too busy for one thing.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

But in this scenario, the child is still at risk of the parent and the parents lack of judgement due to being intoxicated. The child isn't at risk from the SE corner? That's a whole other social issue...

Not every parent or person in general who wanders through are off their face. Lots of people do just have a little wander around and take in the way the area and the installations come to life. 

I agree with the rule for many reasons but I don't agree with the judgies.  If someone is a bad parent, they're a bad parent. Wandering through the SE corner with your child doesnt make you one. You can have a wander through this area perfectly safely. There are lots of things the children might see as we are generally walking around all parts of the festival, hence why some of my friends and family wonder why I even take them at all. But that's my job as a parent to be on the ball and guide them and have conversations about these things as I deem appropriate. And the overall fun and education completely outweighs the rare naughty thing they 'might' notice. 

I don't have kids but you sound like a great mum. Fair play to you. 

What time do you manage to have a wander through at night though? During headliners? I always find it too busy to wander through at night time! When I go there at night it's always a battle to just see which field we can get in. But I'm quite averse to crowd crushes these days.

8 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

'and will be encouraged to seek out child-friendly areas across the site such as the theatre and circus fields, and the campfire in the new Woodsies area.'

What does this even mean?

Being told to seek out child friendly areas seems a bit patronising, can't parents make their own decisions anymore?

I've seen a few pushing a buggy around the circuit and tbh have thought they're either brave or stupid, but each to their own...

Surely security aren't going to be screening people, 'sorry you can't come in / you have to leave this area'?

I'm going with two teenagers (who've been attending their entire lives) and paying almost seven hundred quid for the privilege.

The like rocking it at The Temple or Truth stage as much as the next person. Late night area no less appropriate than anywhere else (give or take).

I don't know if Emily has visited theatre and circus after 10pm but those tents are busy and outside of the tents, there's not much going on.

I've previously done it with the kids and certainly wouldn't encourage more people to attend, it's plenty busy enough already.

It all seems a bit mean and not in the spirit of the festival (historically speaking at least) but wdik 🤷‍♂️

The woodies area was rammed last year 

9 hours ago, gfa said:

The SE corner is not the place for kids in prams, I genuinely think child services should be stationed to swoop in if they see a child in a pram at 2am in the SE corner.

How old are your kids? I imagine it will not be strictly enforced on children like 13-16 years old.

To be fair I saw a mum sniffing at the other stage last year mid-afternoon with her kids in a pram. Not one to judge but yeah plenty of scatty people about.

Edited by D-Low
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IceCreamVan said:

Maybe it's incidents like this (along with buggies etc) that have lead to the conversation.

I'd have a word with her group before contacting the stewards.

In my mind it's no different to checking that someone slumped over is ok, at that moment they need someone to look out for them, but yeah I get your point...

4 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

Maybe it's incidents like this (along with buggies etc) that have lead to the conversation.

I'd have a word with her group before contacting the stewards.

In my mind it's no different to checking that someone slumped over is ok, at that moment they need someone to look out for them, but yeah I get your point...

Totally agree, it’s what I do, in a friendly manner. 

Never fully “off duty”

15 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Not exactly being the place for them could also be said about the Pyramid once it's dark. Where's the line?

Agree that trollies etc probably shouldn't be in SE corner after dark o clock tho. Much higher chance of an accident (and resulting bad vibes from someone having their kid and cart hoofed over) than any other area at any other time, I reckon. I see nowt wrong with taking your ambulatory offspring along tho.

The pyramid isn't packed to the brim with total wreck-heads till 6am I would say is the main difference....