Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

14 minutes ago, Petrifish said:

Final question 😅 Is there any campsites that only open from thursday onwards, arriving wednesday but know that Backhouse doesnt open until Thursday, just hoping this is the only one.

I believe so, possibly the field 'Back House' towards the West of the site.

Edit - sorry re-read your post/question and I've given the answer you'd already given to your own.  Not sure what to add, don't know if there are any others beyond Back House, but certainly the concept of overflow camping fields has been there in the past, and I'm unsure when they would get opened.

Edited by p.pete

18 minutes ago, Petrifish said:

Final question 😅 Is there any campsites that only open from thursday onwards, arriving wednesday but know that Backhouse doesnt open until Thursday, just hoping this is the only one.

I think Backhouse is the only one closed off until Thurs AM.

Frustratingly will be arriving on Thursday (coach from London 7am guessing on site by 1pm...). Does anyone have any recommendations as to where we'll most likely be able to put up our 6-man tent? We've got friends who'll be in Dairy Ground so on that side of the site would be our aim!

8 minutes ago, cjam said:

Frustratingly will be arriving on Thursday (coach from London 7am guessing on site by 1pm...). Does anyone have any recommendations as to where we'll most likely be able to put up our 6-man tent? We've got friends who'll be in Dairy Ground so on that side of the site would be our aim!

I'd advise just walking in the direction of Dairy and keeping in contact with your friends who can tell you whether there's still a decent space or not (if they've not already abandoned camp 😄).  If they reckon there isn't then be on the lookout for space as you pass through Bushy Ground, the field before Dairy, and if no look there then there's campsite steward bases in both of those fields who can tell you if your next best option is Baileys, Paines or South Park (hopefully someone here can advise too 🙂)

23 hours ago, p.pete said:

I'd advise just walking in the direction of Dairy and keeping in contact with your friends who can tell you whether there's still a decent space or not (if they've not already abandoned camp 😄).  If they reckon there isn't then be on the lookout for space as you pass through Bushy Ground, the field before Dairy, and if no look there then there's campsite steward bases in both of those fields who can tell you if your next best option is Baileys, Paines or South Park (hopefully someone here can advise too 🙂)

There is a field between South Park and Sticklinch (Rig's Field?) that had loads of space on the Thursday last year and was pretty sparse all weekend.

30 minutes ago, chris_nre said:

There is a field between South Park and Sticklinch (Rig's Field?) that had loads of space on the Thursday last year and was pretty sparse all weekend.

We camped there last year, loads of space but was surprisingly noisy with loads of people walking through the field as Sticklinch is right next to it. Didn't help that we camped right next to the path to be fair!

• 9 months later...

There's been a bit of chat about Row Mead and Rivermead in the last few days, so I thought I'd bump this thread.

Personally, I'm not camping this year but as I got in on Thursday late afternoon last year I pitched up in Darble last year, literally next to PGA and the fence. Can't see me ever changing again, to be honest. Yeah, the walk back is longer (but that's all part of the adventure, strolling back from the south east corner at the early hours, diverting here and there) but getting out on the Monday morning was a doddle and I was on the road within 30 minutes of packing up. Loads of room and very quiet when you want it to be, too.

Anyway, what are everyone's camping plans for this year? Map changes pending, of course.

• Upvote 1

Been in Cockmill the last 3 as some of our group had kids with them.  However this year, the only "youngsters" coming are actually in their mid-late teens, so that seems inappropriate.

Prior to that we used to camp in South Park (when it was called Dairy) up until they moved Arcadia to the other side of the hedgerow.

Would welcome any recommendations for a new home.

Glad this has got bumped, now won't be arriving until Thursday evening so a little worried about space. Planning to head to Wicket Ground as I will have my 10 year old daughter with me for her first Glastonbury, hopefully there will still be space even on Thursday evening? 

After reading what @Supernintendo Chalmershas said about Darble starting to feel slightly less concerned, may even just go with Darble.

2 minutes ago, Essex_George said:

Glad this has got bumped, now won't be arriving until Thursday evening so a little worried about space. Planning to head to Wicket Ground as I will have my 10 year old daughter with me for her first Glastonbury, hopefully there will still be space even on Thursday evening? 

After reading what @Supernintendo Chalmershas said about Darble starting to feel slightly less concerned, may even just go with Darble.

You might struggle with Wicket Ground on Thursday but if you want an easy-in, easy-out with space available on a Thursday, relatively quieter than most other areas, Darble is a good shout

49 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There's been a bit of chat about Row Mead and Rivermead in the last few days, so I thought I'd bump this thread.

Personally, I'm not camping this year but as I got in on Thursday late afternoon last year I pitched up in Darble last year, literally next to PGA and the fence. Can't see me ever changing again, to be honest. Yeah, the walk back is longer (but that's all part of the adventure, strolling back from the south east corner at the early hours, diverting here and there) but getting out on the Monday morning was a doddle and I was on the road within 30 minutes of packing up. Loads of room and very quiet when you want it to be, too.

Anyway, what are everyone's camping plans for this year? Map changes pending, of course.

I'm indecided yet. Have an option of camping next to mates' vans in CV East Quiet but as i'm coming in on the coach this year I have thought about camping in general population. Somewhere like Darble appeals, i've camped either in CV East or Oxfield since 2009 so am used to a good walk back at the end of the night.

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You might struggle with Wicket Ground on Thursday but if you want an easy-in, easy-out with space available on a Thursday, relatively quieter than most other areas, Darble is a good shout

Cheers.

What are the food options and toilet situation like in Darble?

13 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I'm indecided yet. Have an option of camping next to mates' vans in CV East Quiet but as i'm coming in on the coach this year I have thought about camping in general population. Somewhere like Darble appeals, i've camped either in CV East or Oxfield since 2009 so am used to a good walk back at the end of the night.

The wonky walk back is all part of the experience for me. You never know who or what you're going to come across. Some of the best times are when you're headed on the long walk home only to get your second wind en route thanks to some random DJ/tent/meeting

• Like 1

• Crazyfool01 changed the title to Camping Plans for 2024

Camped at Hitchen Hill last year, got a great spot Wednesday early afternoon. Probably won't go there again though as the noise from Silver Hayes was constant and I'm one of those people who needs a good few hours sleep every night. Any decent quieter spots anyone can recommend..?

We will be entering through gate D for the first time this year, so are eyeing up Dairy Ground/Paines after camping in Hawkwell the last two years. Arriving at 7am on a private coach ready to join the queue!

Slightly concerned about the lack of toilets in the area - has anyone had experience with this?

Also, what is the late night (after 3am) noise like from the SEC? It doesn't bother me but some of our group really noticed it in Hawkwell.

7 minutes ago, robahht said:

We will be entering through gate D for the first time this year, so are eyeing up Dairy Ground/Paines after camping in Hawkwell the last two years. Arriving at 7am on a private coach ready to join the queue!

Slightly concerned about the lack of toilets in the area - has anyone had experience with this?

Also, what is the late night (after 3am) noise like from the SEC? It doesn't bother me but some of our group really noticed it in Hawkwell.

When I last camped in Paines/Dairy there were quite a few toilets adjacent including high drops and compost.

In Paines near the hedgerow, Arcadia will be quite loud until the early hours.  Dairy should be quite peaceful by comparison.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

When I last camped in Paines/Dairy there were quite a few toilets adjacent including high drops and compost.

In Paines near the hedgerow, Arcadia will be quite loud until the early hours.  Dairy should be quite peaceful by comparison.

Thanks, very helpful! Looks like Dairy Ground wins then.

I've always camped in the Big Ground but am considering a change this year as my body can't handle the all nighter on the Wednesday morning.

It looks like the majority of what we want to see if West Holts/ Avalon side of the site, any suggestions of where to camp that side of the site where we can still get some sleep?