2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

1 minute ago, robith said:

People picking up bargains then, so i don't think we'll notice it being quiet - it's such a well spaced festival anyway

Yeah they could easily fit another 500 or even 1000 in tbh. If its was Glasto organising it they'd have another 3 or 4 thousand people in the place.

1 hour ago, RedRockRick said:

If it's the Walkmen, in a way it'll be slightly disappointing since everyone expects it to be the Walkmen and it won't feel like a rabbit's been pulled out of a hat, whereas if EOTR come up with something monumentally left-wing and unexpected then we can all go Whooooh, didn't see that one coming!

Not sure if everyone thinks it will be them.  Sure seems to be a lot of people holding onto the boygenius possibility on the Whatsapp group. Also Fat White Family got a boost when someone edited them into the Clashfinder.  However I'd agree Walkmen feel like they'd have the right mix of size and appeal for being in the surprise slot.

1 hour ago, snipe said:

Not sure if everyone thinks it will be them.  Sure seems to be a lot of people holding onto the boygenius possibility on the Whatsapp group. Also Fat White Family got a boost when someone edited them into the Clashfinder.  However I'd agree Walkmen feel like they'd have the right mix of size and appeal for being in the surprise slot.

I can't see where Fat Whites were edited into the clashfinder (the last edit is someone putting Wunderhorse back in after I'd taken him out, but we'll get the times themselves next week so I cba to re-edit now) but someone did claim to have heard it was them - but I'd then wonder why they wouldn't have announced it alongside their other dates. Same to some extent with Boygenius, plus that Gunnersbury Park is a bigger capacity than EOTR.

My main reason for doubting the Walkmen is while Green Man's claims of exclusivity have been undermined by APE there's no history of GM and EOTR sharing acts that high up the bill, and Simon said in an interview he didn't want to automatically book bands that had no new material. Strangely, Gabriels are in Bristol (at Forwards) the day before and pulled out of last year but nobody seems to be mentioning them any more.

4 hours ago, robith said:

People picking up bargains then, so i don't think we'll notice it being quiet - it's such a well spaced festival anyway

Lots of space after the banking crash of 2008. It was like a ghost town. I was wondering if it could survive.

Edited by paulwa

6 hours ago, snipe said:

At some point if you hovered over the ? it would give you FWF's details but it is no longer there.

No idea how - as I set the clashfinder up I have editing access and the only changes I can see other people having made are someone beating me to the three replacements announced last week and someone else putting Wunderhorse back in after I'd taken them out. But yeah, I really wouldn't take that as gospel any more than when the person who set up the Green Man Clashfinder put The Smile in as a placeholder headliner.

6 hours ago, paulwa said:

Lots of space after the banking crash of 2008. It was like a ghost town. I was wondering if it could survive.

Really? I don't remember it being that sparse in 2008! In fact IIRC it was the first time it sold out (obviously with a much smaller capacity than now).

Even if I'm wrong, it was a f**king great year - Conor Oberst, Mercury Rev, Laura Marling, Low, Sea Power, Bon Iver, 2 Gallants, Pete & the Pirates, Tindersticks, Jeffrey Lewis & of course Brakes.

That was my 2nd EOTR & the one that made me fall in love with the place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

Really? I don't remember it being that sparse in 2008! In fact IIRC it was the first time it sold out (obviously with a much smaller capacity than now).

Even if I'm wrong, it was a f**king great year - Conor Oberst, Mercury Rev, Laura Marling, Low, Sea Power, Bon Iver, 2 Gallants, Pete & the Pirates, Tindersticks, Jeffrey Lewis & of course Brakes.

Amazing year. Also added to the above Dirty Three,  Calexico , Shearwater,  Akron/Family , Sun Kil Moon , Kurt Wagner 

2008 has always stuck with me 

8 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Same in terms of the lineup and the lasting effect on me. I’m not 100% sure that this was the sparse year, it could have been 2009, but it certainly felt like the effects of the crash were impacting. 

Yep, Be your own pet will be great craic live. Electric Picnic have just announced their own mystery act. The flocking Script. I am well out of that festival. No pressure, EOTR, but the switch from EP to this is shaping up to be a masterstroke. I'm I ordinately pleased with myself this morning. 

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

One cancellation 

So that's a second stage headliner having to be replaced at short notice, and this one was presumably someone Simon was really invested in showcasing at the festival.

How come EOTR every year without fail gets a load of pullouts in the preceding few weeks? That's now five, which I know isn't the fourteen of last year but by comparison Green Man had two musical withdrawals in total, and they were both before the second set of stage splits.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

So that's a second stage headliner having to be replaced at short notice, and this one was presumably someone Simon was really invested in showcasing at the festival.

How come EOTR every year without fail gets a load of pullouts in the preceding few weeks? That's now five, which I know isn't the fourteen of last year but by comparison Green Man had two musical withdrawals in total, and they were both before the second set of stage splits.

It has seemed to happen a lot. I guess one factor is visas and such - with it being acts outside of the UK, as showcased here. Not much EOTR can do in that sense if they're not sorted. I feel like this also happened with TInariwen but then they came back.

Wunderhorse cancelled a lot of appearances (not just EOTR) so it's almost coincidental rather than EOTR specific? All I can think is that because of the diversity of the lineup and more acts who might require a visa, that becomes a problem.. but do you think there's more to it?

Might be being at the end of the season more bands are burned out or have had more time to have some other misfortune land on them.  Or more likely there is a curse on the place caused by a particularly bad Karaoke rendition of "I am the Resurrection" upsetting the ancient gods.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jplewes said:

It has seemed to happen a lot. I guess one factor is visas and such - with it being acts outside of the UK, as showcased here. Not much EOTR can do in that sense if they're not sorted. I feel like this also happened with TInariwen but then they came back.

Wunderhorse cancelled a lot of appearances (not just EOTR) so it's almost coincidental rather than EOTR specific? All I can think is that because of the diversity of the lineup and more acts who might require a visa, that becomes a problem.. but do you think there's more to it?

I don't think it's a visa thing, obviously that happens occasionally but it's more that a lot of things coincidentally come together like cancelled or shortened UK/European tours, injuries, going back into the studio instead or things we just never find out about, but it always seems to centre around this one weekend. It just so happens last year they lost a couple of acts people were really excited about who seemingly aren't coming back yet in Gabriels and Moor Mother, and now there's two stage headliners vacated one of whom was just outside the ten most highlighted acts on the clashfinder, IIRC more popular than UMO. (EDIT: also five big name comedians pulled out, which even at the end of Edinburgh feels both more than usual and very odd)

It does fascinate me that Ahmed Fakroun and Ian Noe were booked for 2020, 2021 and 2022 but not 2023.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

43 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

It's mad how many tickets are on there and people are still holding out for the price they paid for them when it's next week and likelihood is they'll end up with nothing 

If the sellers united to not undercut each other the bargain hunters will have to make a call on paying asking or not going to the festival so that swings both ways.