2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

Just now, The Nal said:

Its 4 days aswell remember. Less than 60 quid a day. Great value for money. Ill probably end up seeing about 25-30 acts.

And that all adds up. 

Seeing a few band a day that costs between £10-15 is great value. 

They also make the site look great and still allow you to take booze in. 

42 minutes ago, robith said:

Also super confused by the "no critique allowed" crew. Sure people can go over the top and I've tried to be measured, but the idea that no one should express a negative opinion, ever, is really really bizarre

It's not the criticism itself but the entitled and whingy tone/nature of some of the comments I've read on social media that irks me. Then again, whinging is pretty much the Great British pastime, isn't it? 😂

On a personal note, there is nothing on the list I am really excited about (no real YES! moment at first glance, though Ezra Furman is always a highlight, and looking forward to seeing Caroline again) , but as people have pointed out it all about people's listening preferences, so will delve into the bands to see what catches my interest.  There will be more additions, and also it will be a chance to see some new acts.  I always end up missing acts when I am there, as something else catches your eye, or you are just chilling, so still looking forward to the festival and catching up with friends.

Great Festival, absolutely love it, really poor line up. I get the impression that either the organisers know they will sell out and don't think they have to bother anymore or they can't attract bigger acts. I will still enjoy the festival but I would love just one must see act. Big Thief, The Walkmen, Mogwai, Bill Callahan or The Unthanks aren't too much to ask for, particularly for a £200+ ticket. 

3 hours ago, pedrogooch said:

You're spot on on the undercard. It's that gap between the headliners that is what feels bigger than usual. Lots of good names in there, but it's almost exclusively up and coming acts, a lot less established names. 

I agree with this too.  
I'm still excited, still think that there's plenty of things I will want to see, but not a lot of wow moments for me 

40 minutes ago, HastingsBoy said:

Great Festival, absolutely love it, really poor line up. I get the impression that either the organisers know they will sell out and don't think they have to bother anymore or they can't attract bigger acts. I will still enjoy the festival but I would love just one must see act. Big Thief, The Walkmen, Mogwai, Bill Callahan or The Unthanks aren't too much to ask for, particularly for a £200+ ticket. 

Theyve all already played in the last few years havent they?

49 minutes ago, HastingsBoy said:

It is too much to ask for if they're an American band who don't want to come over right there and then (Big Thief will have been on the road for eighteen months by the time their summer US tour ends) or are choosing to sit the summer out. EOTR isn't in a position to ask acts to jump and get a "how high?" automatic response.

13 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

It is too much to ask for if they're an American band who don't want to come over right there and then (Big Thief will have been on the road for eighteen months by the time their summer US tour ends) or are choosing to sit the summer out. EOTR isn't in a position to ask acts to jump and get a "how high?" automatic response.

Plus the other acts might be just see for someone else. Wilco would have been my number one choice. 

I still think it’s missing a decent middle line of Woods pre headline acts and one more Garden. 

It’s also the first announcement with 35-40 acts to add. That’s loads. 

Edited by Nick07

I'm disappointed tbh, but then I've been disappointed with first announcements before and gone on to have a cracking festival. Lots to explore on the undercard. Glad I got a Canela Party ticket though (thanks Guy Incognito for bringing that to my attention). A couple of decent additions would be welcome, some sunshine, good beer and a clean bog. That'll do me. Secretly hoping Green Man doesn't come up with a great lineup now though.

Just now, HastingsBoy said:

As have some of the headliners booked. I don't see that as a reason not to book them again. 

You know you can’t just pick bands and ask them to play ? What if they aren’t touring ? 

You have a pick if one’s on tour so it’s viable for all parties especially pre Covid. 

23 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Agreed to a point but hasn't the festival ha exclusive bookings before?Joanna Newsom in 2011 springs to mind. 

Love (mostly) lurking on this forum.

Pretty much every year the number of people disappointed with something or other about the opening announcement comfortably outweighs the number of people who are happy with it.

And pretty much every year the number of people posting after the event that they really enjoyed the festival comfortably outweighs those who say they were disappointed by it.

One thing that I enjoy most about the forum is the broad range of opinions expressed by contributors with lots of different musical preferences - great to get a heads up regarding so many of the artists. 

It's much more helpful to non-music aficionados (like me!) than the forum content of another festival which happens a couple of weeks before EOTR. That forum is unfortunately often dominated by contributions from posters who seem to revel in being condescending about anything which doesn't fit in with their narrow musical tastes - hope this place doesn't descend to that level.

2 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

I'm disappointed tbh, but then I've been disappointed with first announcements before and gone on to have a cracking festival. Lots to explore on the undercard. Glad I got a Canela Party ticket though (thanks Guy Incognito for bringing that to my attention). A couple of decent additions would be welcome, some sunshine, good beer and a clean bog. That'll do me. Secretly hoping Green Man doesn't come up with a great lineup now though.

Having grabbed some Green Man tickets in a moment of madness 😁 I’m hopeful it’s a humdinger. 
I’ve done EOTR 2009 to 2019 …. I think I’m happy having a break from it if the lineup doesn’t hit the spot. And right now it doesn’t tbh.