Other Stage Headliners

airwaves

22 hours ago, ___DGH___ said:

Yep - 

And while fans can expect to see the group live this summer, one place they won’t be hitting up is Glastonbury Festival – where the band played a memorable Other Stage set in 1994.

“We won’t be there! The problem with Glastonbury is that it’s become such a global thing,” Paul explained. “Everyone wants to do it. Everyone wants to clear their diary in case they can get it, and it becomes so oversubscribed. It means it’s tricky getting the slot you’re happy with. Maybe next year we’ll be there!”

This is gutting. The new album is really good and I can't make any dates on their tour. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

Is there any hard evidence on QOTSA playing the Other Stage? 

Because now Arctic Monkeys will be there, QOTSA subbing AM makes much more sense. They will be doing this at some other fests as well (Opener, Rock Werchter). probably because they'll want to have Josh joining AM on stages for. couple of songs. 

No hard evidence but came from someone who was spot-on about the heads thus far. 

It does make a lot of sense against Elton as much as I'm gutted I'll be missing them if that's the case. 

5 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

No hard evidence but came from someone who was spot-on about the heads thus far. 

It does make a lot of sense against Elton as much as I'm gutted I'll be missing them if that's the case. 

The thing is every QOTSA fan I've encountered has said I'm gutted they are clashing but I will have to see Elton.

So I think it is a bad clash.

Are there any QOTSA fans out there who think it is a no brainer to see them over Elton?

1 minute ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

The thing is every QOTSA fan I've encountered has said I'm gutted they are clashing but I will have to see Elton.

Are there any QOTSA fans out there who think it is a no brainer to see them over Elton?

Thing is this is probably gonna be the case no matter who's booked. Elton's final UK performance has the potential to be the busiest that stage has ever been. I saw him in summer so I might have skipped it but the fact that it's the Sunday closer and the only night I want to end at the pyramid... it's just a perfect storm.

41 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I'd defo be at QOTSA but i don't care for elton!

clearly not a no brainer given elton's rarity - its not like hes AM/GNR who are always about and will be about for a long while yet

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'd defo be at QOTSA but i don't care for elton!

clearly not a no brainer given elton's rarity - its not like hes AM/GNR who are always about and will be about for a long while yet

I think people are maybe taking this AM headline for granted. Whatever people's views on them they have been arguably the biggest British guitar-band since Oasis and arguably bigger across the pond.

If the rumours are true that this tour could be their last and I know they down played that in the album campaign, but as an avid fan I see it being their 'swan-song', at least for some time more than a classic AM album gap.

It'll be 10 years since they last headlined and in that time have released three full length albums (whatever you may think of them, there was two #1's and a #2 because their marketing team stuck to their guns). Coldplay were headlining at a rate of less than every 5 years at one point...

2 minutes ago, OCarter said:

I think people are maybe taking this AM headline for granted. Whatever people's views on them they have been arguably the biggest British guitar-band since Oasis and arguably bigger across the pond.

If the rumours are true that this tour could be their last and I know they down played that in the album campaign, but as an avid fan I see it being their 'swan-song', at least for some time more than a classic AM album gap.

It'll be 10 years since they last headlined and in that time have released three full length albums (whatever you may think of them, there was two #1's and a #2 because their marketing team stuck to their guns). Coldplay were headlining at a rate of less than every 5 years at one point...

AM are about all the time, most people on here have seen them at Glasto or their own tours whereas loads will never have seen Elton John before.

There is nowhere near the sense of FOMO/Urgency that Elton offers, nor are AM a new headliner vs the other two.

just check the poll post i attached, 20% ish for Elton and GNR vs almost 60% for AM

Edited by gfa

32 minutes ago, gfa said:

AM are about all the time, most people on here have seen them at Glasto or their own tours whereas loads will never have seen Elton John before.

There is nowhere near the sense of FOMO/Urgency that Elton offers, nor are AM a new headliner vs the other two.

just check the poll post i attached, 20% ish for Elton and GNR vs almost 60% for AM

Efestivals polls should not be used to make any judgements one way or another. They are just for shits and giggles.

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Efestivals polls should not be used to make any judgements one way or another. They are just for shits and giggles.

They should when its about sentiment on here

wider festival sure probably not, but on here it makes sense (especially with such a big gap)

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Nope, got the same problem. QotSA at Glasto 2011 is one of the best shows I've ever seen and I'd love to do that again, but I'm not gonna miss the last opportunity to see Elton.

Just now, BenG92 said:

I'm really struggling to think of something that would actually keep me away from Elton Sunday.

If I could wish upon a star for something absurd it would be DJ Shadow rejoining Unkle for a 25th anniversary Psyence Fiction set. That'd do it. 

Having seen DJ Shadow / James Lavelle I'd urge you to still go to see E. John.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Having seen DJ Shadow / James Lavelle I'd urge you to still go to see E. John.

I've seen both separately and had a ball. Psyence Fiction's just a personal favourite and I'm itching to see if James does owt for it.

Also seen Elton last summer, was a good show even as not-a-big-fan, but it'd be more about closing my first Glasto with mates in that crowd. 

2 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

No… annoying as it is, I’ve seen them before a couple of times in their prime but EJ should be a classic G show with guests etc. I wouldn’t pay to see EJ alone but I would pay to see QOTSA at their own show

Elton John headlining the Pyramid Stage is a one off. As much as I like QOTSA, Prodigy and any other number of bands/performers who might headline at the same time on any of the other stages, no act other than Tom Waits will keep me away from Elton's set.

2 hours ago, matrainertje said:

Yeah, kinda. Although QOTSA into AM makes even more sense. To me, at least. 

you'll come to learn that glasto does not pick subs that seem to make the most sense

for example - Lizzo into GnR - logic would put her under Elton

think it's probably to do with crowd management and not having people camp out in the one place all day