Sober Glastonbury

AshSlattery

3 minutes ago, Cooter said:

If it hasn't been said already, it's probably the only place on the planet you don't need drugs or alcohol.

Alcohol is a drug, and if this was how it was seen then maybe more people would think about whether they should indulge or not.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Alcohol is a drug, and if this was how it was seen then maybe more people would think about whether they should indulge or not.

This is a thread about sobriety. 

Next year will be my first time. It’s taken me a while, too long in fact, to realise that booze and recreationals are not needed to have fun at festivals and gigs. 

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

This is a thread about sobriety. 

Next year will be my first time. It’s taken me a while, too long in fact, to realise that booze and recreationals are not needed to have fun at festivals and gigs. 

And unless I misunderstand what I've written, then the post you quoted is trying to encourage people not to partake in alcohol.

I have strong opinions on alcohol and other drugs, largely backed up by long term scientific research and peer reviewed scientific journals.

However , it seems that this is not appropriate or appriciated, so I won't post any links.

Edited by Skip997

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Actually agree with your stance on this... And alcohol is my business (although we try to make the pub more about food.)

Alcohol is one of the most addictive, and dangerous substances commonly used. But it's taxable, and a good revenue source for the state, so knock yourself out. 

I've never had anybody stoned, or on MDMA, try to glass me for no reason. I've never seen anybody high on ecstasy or weed batter his own missus. To some people, alcohol really is extremely dangerous.

Coke is a different matter though, that stuff's just as bad as alcohol IMO. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

I've never had anybody stoned, or on MDMA, try to glass me for no reason. I've never seen anybody high on ecstasy or weed batter his own missus. To some people, alcohol really is extremely dangerous.

Coke is a different matter though, that stuff's just as bad as alcohol IMO. 

This.

But also; your in a crowd at a gig or festival. Someone wants to get past you to get nearer the front: example one - drunk person, they will barge through you as if they haven't even seen you with no regards to the consequence, example two - person on MDMA, they will gently stroke your back until you notice and politly indicate than they want to pass, usual with a smile and positive eye contact, example three - stoned person, probably can't be bothered, it sounds better at the back anyway.

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

And unless I misunderstand what I've written, then the post you quoted is trying to encourage people not to partake in alcohol.

I have strong opinions on alcohol and other drugs, largely backed up by long term scientific research and peer reviewed scientific journals.

However , it seems that this is not appropriate, so I won't post any links.

I totally agree with you on this - alcohol is the worst drug of all due to its addictiveness and widespread availability. 

I thought that was another post by you which I can’t see now where you were saying you don’t drink but you do mandy… 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I totally agree with you on this - alcohol is the worst drug of all due to its addictiveness and widespread availability. 

I thought that was another post by you which I can’t see now where you were saying you don’t drink but you do mandy… 

I reported that post and asked for it to be removed as it seemed to upset at least one member of the forum.

Yes I do do very small amounts of mandy at festivals, helps me stay up, dance and smile at people. The kids love it.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I reported that post and asked for it to be removed as it seemed to upset at least one member of the forum.

Yes I do do very small amounts of mandy at festivals, helps me stay up, dance and smile at people. The kids love it.

Ah ok, I got distracted with tv for a bit so didn’t notice that!

Sober means sober for me - no booze or anything else, not staying off the booze but still having a dab.  Maybe this not the post to chat about doing Mandy! 😂

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Ah ok, I got distracted with tv for a bit so didn’t notice that!

Sober means sober for me - no booze or anything else, not staying off the booze but still having a dab.  Maybe this not the post to chat about doing Mandy! 😂

Yea guess it's irresponsible.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, AshSlattery said:

After years of being a total boozehound, and getting myself into some truly hairy situations that I won't bore you with, I've given up drinking. Currently 26 days sober. Going strong and my mental health has improved massively already. 

So incredibly excited for G but also slightly nervous at the prospect of a festival booze free. 

Wondered if others had experiences of sober Glastonbury, if AF options were available on site and any other tips

Not loads of AF options but you can bring your own. But also it doesn't really matter, the festival isn't a pub so you don't need to be having a drink to be there. It can take a bit of getting used to having both hands free but once you're past that it's fine.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

It can take a bit of getting used to having both hands free but once you're past that it's fine.

😂😂😂

Nice one...

I bet it's really annoying not having to visit the long drops / urinals every 10 minutes too? Such a drag!!!

• 4 months later...

I had my last drink the same day as OP I think. Well done! Hope it's still going well and you navigated Christmas and New Year OK. My last drink was a shot of fireball at a wedding with an 82 year old - what a fine way to bow out. I've had to cut it due to health reasons (gastro rather than any of the usual reasons one stops) and while I hope to be able to enjoy it again someday I've accepted the sober life and actually rather enjoy it. I also have an intolerance to caffeine (including chocolate) which narrows my choices even further at a bar and makes life an interesting endurance race. (Many arguments about jagerbombs presumptively bought for me, and my uni days were fuelled by Haribo)

I've never drunk heavily at Glastonbury (we don't talk about Wednesday last year ok? - we all make mistakes... I counted about 3 major ones and countless minor ones) but always enjoy a cider at semi regular intervals as part of the occasion - never to get drunk. But nonetheless this is Glasto number 10 for me and more than likely the first one without a drink from the bus or the BAR.

Does anyone have any info on alcohol (and caffeine/chocolate) free options at the bars or am I to resign myself to stocking up at Co-op or bothering the ice cream vans for Fanta? If I weren't on the bus this year I'd load up with AF cans. ...tbf I guess I could still do that but would rather not carry the weight and warm beer isn't the one is it.

Edited by Beaver89
more info

While I'm not going to have a sober Glastonbury I seriously want to do it differently this time. I go so hard on the booze and gear on the first night(s) and totally ruin myself, use up all my fun tokens, and end up an anxious wreck towards the end. So much so that I nearly didn't go in for a ticket as I know how much it takes it out of me. So I really applaud all you sober people, and any tips on being more 'mindful' to my approach much appreciated! I was considering maybe even testing myself with a total booze free day. Either way, coming in to my 40th year on this planet, I think the penny is finally dropping that poisoning myself might be fun at the time but paying for it the next day is just not worth it. Moderation is key. 

Im on chemo and havent touched it since Xmas because it tastes like vinegar to me.  Fingers crossed I will be finished with it next month and cant start getting my fitness levels up. I have no intention of drinking again and I was a glass or two of wine every night person. Its going to be interesting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, angelin said:

Im on chemo and havent touched it since Xmas because it tastes like vinegar to me.  Fingers crossed I will be finished with it next month and cant start getting my fitness levels up. I have no intention of drinking again and I was a glass or two of wine every night person. Its going to be interesting.

Best of luck with your chemo journey and recovery xxxxx

I did last year sober after going very hard every other year. I stopped drinking almost 2 years ago. I think I enjoyed last year the most. The only difference I noticed was that because you are not off your face at 3am, you FEEL your legs and feet after a long day of walking. But that is definitely better than pranging out every morning or nursing a hangover.

44 minutes ago, angelin said:

Best of luck with the Chemo! I hope you have an amazing Glastonbury!!

Last year was my first sober Glastonbury.  It was fine.  Great to have no hangover struggles in the morning.  I did drink more coffee than before.  Hope they will expand on the alcohol-free options.  They were selling cans of San Miguel 0, which was fine, but nothing else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hannahlmoore said:

While I'm not going to have a sober Glastonbury I seriously want to do it differently this time. I go so hard on the booze and gear on the first night(s) and totally ruin myself, use up all my fun tokens, and end up an anxious wreck towards the end. So much so that I nearly didn't go in for a ticket as I know how much it takes it out of me. So I really applaud all you sober people, and any tips on being more 'mindful' to my approach much appreciated! I was considering maybe even testing myself with a total booze free day. Either way, coming in to my 40th year on this planet, I think the penny is finally dropping that poisoning myself might be fun at the time but paying for it the next day is just not worth it. Moderation is key. 

I'm in the same boat this year. Not going to be a sober one but will be spreading it out and drinking out of enjoyment rather than seeking an end goal of drunkeness.  Went very hard last year on all accounts and whilst it's fun and all, this year I want to experience a lot of the stuff i didn't last year because i was too busy getting wonky. Really want to do the healing fields more this year and get involved in that, even just having a cup of tea in the morning or appreciating the food outlets more (think i maybe had 3 meals in all last year)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

I'm in the same boat this year. Not going to be a sober one but will be spreading it out and drinking out of enjoyment rather than seeking an end goal of drunkeness.  Went very hard last year on all accounts and whilst it's fun and all, this year I want to experience a lot of the stuff i didn't last year because i was too busy getting wonky. Really want to do the healing fields more this year and get involved in that, even just having a cup of tea in the morning or appreciating the food outlets more (think i maybe had 3 meals in all last year)

I've become very much more sober over the years. Not been off my bonce at Glasto in about 10 years. In my experience you don't actually achieve or see much more cos the flow goes how it goes BUT you do remember it. I've still never had a gong bath or whittled a spoon and I actually want to do those things. 😄

5 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I've become very much more sober over the years. Not been off my bonce at Glasto in about 10 years. In my experience you don't actually achieve or see much more cos the flow goes how it goes BUT you do remember it. I've still never had a gong bath or whittled a spoon and I actually want to do those things. 😄

ahahaah they are genuinely the two top things i want to do there 😂

i can't say i'm not gonna get absolutely spangled at night, but yeah during the day just wanna take some time to take it in and appreciate where i am 

• Upvote 1

Nice to see this thread pop up again! Currently at 445 sober days, going strong and looking forward to a second sober Glasto this summer. Hopefully a few more AF beers this time around to save me carrying an Ikea bag full of cans on the bus... 

Private messages always open if someone wants to chat about cutting down, quitting, anything AF really x 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3