Biggest Dj’s at Icon?

Gwish123

22 minutes ago, Gwish123 said:

Would Icon be better suited to what seemed the more popular Djs like Jamie Jones, Solomun  ect( Turned out to be Bibi) 

The crush and crowds trying to get to the gas tower were pretty crazy, where as Icon has lots more space and better accessibility? 

Quite simply yes.

Shangri-La seriously needs a rethink, too many venues with too little space, leading to overcrowding

40 minutes ago, Gwish123 said:

Would Icon be better suited to what seemed the more popular Djs like Jamie Jones, Solomun  ect( Turned out to be Bibi) 

The crush and crowds trying to get to the gas tower were pretty crazy, where as Icon has lots more space and better accessibility? 

Are you suggesting that IICON should book more "mainstream" artists or that the space be taken over by a different organisation? The stage in its current format was always designed to house the more avant garde, experimental and esoteric electronic artists and as long as it's under Block 9, that's pretty much how it will stay. Sure, there were probably a few more recognisable names this year compared to 2019, but I don't think we'll see the likes of who you suggest unless they offer it to a different organiser and then it will become something completely different

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers
  • Upvote 2

Totally agree about Shangri-La. Too many big names, not enough space.
Ive been to IICON only once or twice, and the music being played was not to my taste, and the field was half full.
Compare that to Gas Tower, where the music on offer was big names, but getting anywhere close was impossible.

I would whole heartedly welcome IICON being used as a 'Big Name Electronic Main Stage' and use Gas Works as the 'Alternative Venue' for cutting edge electronic music.

I think the whole of Shangri-La Needs a re think , it looked old and tired. Not sure if it was due a big change but the pandemic and lack of money that year just meant they did the same things again.

it used to be a place full of wonder , walking round, small venues . weird sites. amazing people.

it  just didn't have the wow factor for me . I seemed to walk in stop at one or two stages and walk out without actually seeing anything . 

hope now they hav eth efunds from last year they do something different 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

I think the whole of Shangri-La Needs a re think , it looked old and tired. Not sure if it was due a big change but the pandemic and lack of money that year just meant they did the same things again.

it used to be a place full of wonder , walking round, small venues . weird sites. amazing people.

it  just didn't have the wow factor for me . I seemed to walk in stop at one or two stages and walk out without actually seeing anything . 

hope now they hav eth efunds from last year they do something different 

Totally agree, it's been stale for a good while now and is no longer worthy of the hype.

It needs ripping up and starting again with a totally different emphasis and layout. IMO opinion it actually needs less venues, The Truth stage arena needs opening out to give more space.

As for the Unfairground, that has gone really stale, it's dull, dull, dull.

Totally agree about Shangri-la being extremely underwhelming this year! Don't know if I missed something but where was all the wacky immersive stuff! First time I went I remember there being little window boxes with actors inside as part of the story and walking through a tunnel with all sorts of little mini box rooms with mini raves...just a little lacking the magic this year. 

IICON is a spectacle, but not my music for a proper dance for any substantial amount of time but also I find it really odd when people all face one direction to dance lol!! Anyone on my wavelength? 🤣🤣 hard to describe what I mean but my best moments at any stage or set are always because of the people I end up with around me, IICON is just not like that... The Temple and Arcadia acheive it a bit more, maybe because they are just a bit more well lit with all the flames etc. So you can actually see and engage with other people and make new besties. I like dancing with anyone and everyone 🤣 feel more a part of it.

I miss Coppadollar. That's my vibe, smaller venues where they actually play host while you're in there and get everyone involved. More fun IMO. Rumshack and NYC Downlow my favourite parts of Block9

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Totally agree about Shangri-la being extremely underwhelming this year! Don't know if I missed something but where was all the wacky immersive stuff! First time I went I remember there being little window boxes with actors inside as part of the story and walking through a tunnel with all sorts of little mini box rooms with mini raves...just a little lacking the magic this year. 

IICON is a spectacle, but not my music for a proper dance for any substantial amount of time but also I find it really odd when people all face one direction to dance lol!! Anyone on my wavelength? 🤣🤣 hard to describe what I mean but my best moments at any stage or set are always because of the people I end up with around me, IICON is just not like that... The Temple and Arcadia acheive it a bit more, maybe because they are just a bit more well lit with all the flames etc. So you can actually see and engage with other people and make new besties. I like dancing with anyone and everyone 🤣 feel more a part of it.

I miss Coppadollar. That's my vibe, smaller venues where they actually play host while you're in there and get everyone involved. More fun IMO. Rumshack and NYC Downlow my favourite parts of Block9

Come 5am in the SE corner i think what i bolded is what some try and avoid haha

Probably unrealistic but maybe the SE corner needs a rejig? Its hard with the fences and you need iicon next to block 9 really as they are the same team but could more space be made somehow by iicon losing a bit of its field. even if its just moving toilets/bars into it from other areas so that shangri la has more room for instance

I can imagine Ted & Ralph talking about the drainage in the bottom field whenever the IICON field gets discussed, it's been a few things over the last 10 years but never quite seems to hit the nail on the head.  Late night over-crowding, switch entry to that area to maybe help the flow; seems soulless, throw some latin shit at it; still empty, put some massive cool installation in it.  

Re the installations that used to be a joy to wander through in Shangri-La, I think when there were threads a couple of months ago about the cost of different elements of the site build that was mentioned as really expensive.  Some things may need an over-haul but sadly it won't revert to anything like that I would imagine.  Even if they could create something similar but that cost less to build I think the area gets too busy for that kind of setup to work anymore.  Unless the drainage in the bottom field gets sorted out + silver hayes area takes a larger share of traffic, with cheaper build at a time when everything costs more, then maybe micro-venues off alley-ways in blade runner themes start to make sense again.

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

then maybe micro-venues off alley-ways in blade runner themes start to make sense again.

It's way too busy for that, would just cause more blockages.

The opposite needs doing, less small venues and "not really weird at all, trying too hard" installations/micro-venues, open the space out more esp around The Truth Stage. Push the Gas Tower away from Truth Stage and open it out a bit, or maybe take it into Unfair ground and get rid of those nonsense fairground attractions.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The opposite needs doing, less small venues and "not really weird at all, trying too hard" installations/micro-venues, open the space out more esp around The Truth Stage. Push the Gas Tower away from Truth Stage and open it out a bit, or maybe take it into Unfair ground and get rid of those nonsense fairground attractions.

Noooooo!! Keep the fairground attractions....I don't know what you're talking about, I love whacking ping pong balls with phallic objects! 🤣

• Like 1

I think the current financial pressures will stem creativity for the time being. Or certainly any great departure from the current tried and tested layouts. There's absolutely no doubt that all of the teams would like to be able to push the envelope a little bit more and evolve certain areas, it's in their very DNA, but I just don't think the purse strings will allow it at the moment. Those amongst us who have become accustomed to the areas will just have to continue to enjoy it for what it is, and those attending for the first time will still get to experience the wonder and craziness of the south east corner. I just don't foresee any major changes in 2023. Hey, it's still the best five nights out of the year though, we've just been spoilt.

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Well that was the general point of what I was saying, plus it was maybe too expensive and even more so now.  I was just offering a very unlikely 'but' circumstance where it could come back, as a few people had mentioned it.

Totally agree though, I love the installations but if they're going to utilise space properly then they need to allow better flow of people, open some things (I'm def not an expert in which!) up, and have acts that's draw more people in places where more people can access.

IICON was a huge huge vibe at points (Overmono and Floorplan particularly) but the Gas Tower was dangerously packed.

I'm not sure who has suggested it (might have been gfa), but I do agree a big hangar type stage would be good somewhere on site, as your Jamie Jones/Michael Bibi type bookings would work better there than the Gas Tower due to their popularity. 

Edited by Zacko

2 minutes ago, Zacko said:

IICON was a huge huge vibe at points (Overmono and Floorplan particularly) but the Gas Tower was dangerously packed.

I'm not sure who has suggested it (might have been gfa), but I do agree a big hangar type stage would be good somewhere on site, as your Jamie Jones/Michael Bibi type bookings would work better there than the Gas Tower due to their popularity. 

yep that was me. I think the WOW tent should become a hanger, no idea how possible it would be due to noise at that end. They need a 3rd big electronic stage really as arcadia won't fit everyone and they can't just take IICON off block 9 crew

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

This year was all about getting up and running again.  Shangri-la and Block 9's plans were put on hold due to budget restrictions.   Expect changes in there areas next year, along with Arcadia of course. 

BTW, Rumshack is in The Common, not Block9.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

are you me?

I'm 100% on your wavelength - both on missing the immersive stuff at Shangri-la and not into "people all facing one direction" thing - not just talking about ICCON. It's the reason why although I love the Chems (I know there are a lot of fans here) and when I watch their live sets on youtube I think it's fantastic - but when I am there live I don't feel it so much. Same for other similar DJ/Dance acts.