Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

And if you’re in Scotland it’s constantly windy and rainy. And I get to turn 46 on this years Black Monday.

What the hell is black Monday?  Google showing me stuff from the NFL and 1987 - are the 1975 doing halftime or something

Love eFests wanting headliners to have released new music since their last appearance (Foos debate) or even put out any music at all in recent years (GnR)…

…and then slate the idea of AM playing any of their new stuff and clamouring for the songs they’ve already played twice in separate headline sets 😂

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Hi Sam Fender you have just subbed and are clearly on a massive rise, afraid you can't come back for 6 years.

Clearly this is the case, what a silly comment!

I get why the festival would want to do it, I get why bands would want it... I don't get why punters are bothered? Or it influences how you feel about it? 

Like, I'm the one being told that it'd be bad if the festival had a headliner back who has played "recently". In my naivety, I'd assumed that was because were festival regulars and weren't interesting in seeing the same act again. But to me that's no different if they headlined the Pyramid or subbed it. They were still on a couple of years ago, I still had the chance to see them. Yeah, I get it, people want to see them again, but same applies after they've headlined. 

I agree with you gfa, that's a stupid thing to say, I just take it a step further. How will people feel if Billie Eilish's third album propels her even further into the stratosphere? "Sorry Billie, you can't come back in 2025, it's too soon" 

I guess someone needs to explain to me why they think booking an act that has headlined "recently" is a bad thing then. Because it's clearly not because that act has played Glastonbury recently. It's something else.

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

That would apply to pretty much any headliner Kenny aside for most years. Elton has been on the same tour for years and has probably played at a football or sports ground near you. He’s playing something like 20 UK dates this year.

Strangely enough, in a weird attempt to make money most acts playing Glastonbury will also be playing dates elsewhere. 

It's more exciting when they're not though, don't you think?

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

I was at the Stone Roses Reading 96 fiasco and am one of the cluster of people you can see down the front enjoying it. If you’re fucked up enough you can enjoy almost anything (granted, my only memory is going ‘is that a dancer in boots?’)

I was also at that infamous Reading show..... but, I actually really enjoyed it, (parts of it). The new songs were pretty okay. Aziz was good on guitar. But, obviously the talking point was THAT 'voice'. I did have tears in my eyes at one point..... 

The dancer..... a joke too far. 

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

I was at the Stone Roses Reading 96 fiasco and am one of the cluster of people you can see down the front enjoying it. If you’re fucked up enough you can enjoy almost anything (granted, my only memory is going ‘is that a dancer in boots?’)

I was at Spike Island 1990. They were poor then. Not sure they've ever been a good live band.

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I was at Spike Island 1990. They were poor then. Not sure they've ever been a good live band.

Probably not. I saw them in Manchester in 1995 and it was brilliant but it was more about the event and the atmosphere than the gig itself. Those I know who were at Spike Island and Blackpool/Ally Pally in 1989 say the same.

8 minutes ago, sfroml said:

I was also at that infamous Reading show..... but, I actually really enjoyed it, (parts of it). The new songs were pretty okay. Aziz was good on guitar. But, obviously the talking point was THAT 'voice'. I did have tears in my eyes at one point..... 

The dancer..... a joke too far. 

I was that bollocksed I didn’t notice his voice. I mean, it had never been great. But there’s footage on YouTube and watching it now….yeesh. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I guess someone needs to explain to me why they think booking an act that has headlined "recently" is a bad thing then. Because it's clearly not because that act has played Glastonbury recently. It's something else.

Theres only 3 headliners

Theres '6' subs (sub / other headliner)

Theres '9-12' 3rd downs (3/4 pyramid, other sub, west holts headline)

Obviously there is more choice as you get smaller and smaller but i think you get the general jist - you pay the most 'money' / most value from ticket from headliners, so they are most important not to be repeats.

Edited by gfa

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I was that bollocksed I didn’t notice his voice. I mean, it had never been great. But there’s footage on YouTube and watching it now….yeesh. 

Ha! I bought a cd from a market stall in Bridlington years ago.... It stated on the inlay card "exclusive Japanese radio broadcast" version or something. Clearly recorded by someone stood in the field. 

The high/lowlight (funniest bit) was when he crashed into the "I am the resurrection" line.

Just now, p.pete said:

Things are looking better already then!?

It won’t be blue Monday* for me anyway. I’ve got that day and the next off work and am going to drink leftover Christmas Champagne and watch Glastonbury videos. 

*Unless I watch New Order

43 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Healy is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. The definition of ugh and creepy. 

EDIT: Ad Block firmly on but daily mail comments for this wtf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11549367/The-1975s-Matt-Healy-checks-fans-ID-waved-sign-asking-kiss.html#comments

Basically nobody has any issue at all - 100+ upvotes and not a single downvote on some comments saying its sweet, anyone saying its weird downvoted to oblivion

Edited by gfa

1 minute ago, sfroml said:

Ha! I bought a cd from a market stall in Bridlington years ago.... It stated on the inlay card "exclusive Japanese radio broadcast" version or something. Clearly recorded by someone stood in the field. 

The high/lowlight (funniest bit) was when he crashed into the "I am the resurrection" line.

Hahahahaholyshit

Aziz is bang on TBF

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I get why the festival would want to do it, I get why bands would want it... I don't get why punters are bothered? Or it influences how you feel about it? 

Like, I'm the one being told that it'd be bad if the festival had a headliner back who has played "recently". In my naivety, I'd assumed that was because were festival regulars and weren't interesting in seeing the same act again. But to me that's no different if they headlined the Pyramid or subbed it. They were still on a couple of years ago, I still had the chance to see them. Yeah, I get it, people want to see them again, but same applies after they've headlined. 

I agree with you gfa, that's a stupid thing to say, I just take it a step further. How will people feel if Billie Eilish's third album propels her even further into the stratosphere? "Sorry Billie, you can't come back in 2025, it's too soon" 

Name them then, Kenny aside?

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Because headlining is different to playing lower down. I don’t see what the difficulty is here. Foo Fighters in 2023 or Billie Eilish in 2025 would feel like too soon to a lot of people. What is so hard about this?

Acts are pretty much always on tour when they play/headline Glastonbury. I’m struggling to think of a single example of one that wasn’t.

38 minutes ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Love eFests wanting headliners to have released new music since their last appearance (Foos debate) or even put out any music at all in recent years (GnR)…

…and then slate the idea of AM playing any of their new stuff and clamouring for the songs they’ve already played twice in separate headline sets 😂

Ah, you must be new here 😉😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Given she has 2 albums it would be 2/3 the same set effectively. Only a 2 year gap as well that - vastly different to foos

Completely fair to not invite her back and she'd understand and no doubt do stadiums instead