Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

They haven’t they just guess quite a bit and by default get the odd thing right 

Yep - as I pointed out above, they're already guaranteed to have got at least 2 names wrong for 2023 - and that's more than 7 months before the festival takes place.

Just now, VCK said:

Dua Lipa is a prime example of a mainstream pop artist being hyped up to be more than what her actual music is.

Nothing wrong with liking pop music and I certainly wouldn't say Dua Lipa hasn't done a couple of fun and catchy songs, but let's not pretend that the McDonald's meal you're eating has much in the way of nutritional value.

But why can't fun and catchy songs also have artistic merit? It's like some people have this weird outdated belief that only bands can make serious music, and anything thats fun and upbeat can't be art. Like hell, even Rolling Stones, most of their music is just fun and catchy tunes - which isn't a bad thing, I've seen them a few times myself

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Enkidu said:

But why can't fun and catchy songs also have artistic merit? It's like some people have this weird outdated belief that only bands can make serious music, and anything thats fun and upbeat can't be art. Like hell, even Rolling Stones, most of their music is just fun and catchy tunes - which isn't a bad thing, I've seen them a few times myself

Spot on.

For example Gwen Stafani has done some great stuff.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Enkidu said:

Tbf fuck the Sun but apparently they have been pretty good at getting scoops on glastonbury news. I certainly take everything they say with a pinch (or a handful really) of salt though

If there’s a small target on a big wall, and you throw handfuls of shit at it for a year, some will hit the target. That’s it.

42 minutes ago, VCK said:

Dua Lipa is a prime example of a mainstream pop artist being hyped up to be more than what her actual music is.

Nothing wrong with liking pop music, music is subjective and all that, but let's not pretend that the McDonald's meal you're eating has much nutritional value.

This is such a great comment which conveys my sentiments exactly. Recently when you see critics giving rave reviews to Harry fucking Styles and Megan Thee Stallion, you have to wonder what exactly is going on. In the past those artists would have been panned. 

3 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

This is such a great comment which conveys my sentiments exactly. Recently when you see critics giving rave reviews to Harry fucking Styles and Megan Thee Stallion, you have to wonder what exactly is going on. In the past those artists would have been panned. 

No idea about Megan, but Styles is dreadful.

44 minutes ago, Enkidu said:

And there is nothing wrong with fun and catchy music, and Dua Lipa et al are certainly good at it. Sometimes it's okay to take a break from listening to your Tools and Radioheads of this world, just like how sometimes it's okay to skip having a healthy homecooked meal and just go grab something from McDonald's. But what they are not, are these subversive and cutting edge mavericks that the music press makes them out to be.

They just perform earwormy radio friendly pop songs, most likely prewritten by someone else.

7 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Record labels paying them handsome money, basically.

Edited by VCK

6 minutes ago, Sorcha17 said:

Sorry not been on a capuple of days, but has anyone noticed that on Harry Styles tour dates on his website, there are now no dates between the 21st and 28th June?

Just checked and Belgium on the 24th is still there.

https://fr.livenation.be/artist-harry-styles-971975

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

Wonder if The Prodigy could end up doing a secret set on John Peel? Feels unlikely but would be absolute carnage, akin to their small venue tour this summer

Prodigy in JP would be like the Streets a few years back - good if you’re in there but for the thousands stuck outside less so.

2 hours ago, Enkidu said:

Tbf fuck the Sun but apparently they have been pretty good at getting scoops on glastonbury news. I certainly take everything they say with a pinch (or a handful really) of salt though

I actually called this out a few weeks ago. The Sun will put out multiple 'rumours' and 'we've heards' to the point that it would be very difficult if the didn't get one of the headliners. 

They're also known to look at how the betting odds are going and use that as a source. Same as how Somerset Live will say 'As per our source we think x are headlining' like 2 days after the name gets brought up on these forums. 

6 hours ago, TGCarr said:

Funnily Skybet have upped Taylor's odds after that announcement. 

She could do the Sunday and then have 5 days rest till her next show. 

Get over it, not happening. I will laugh so hard when the first headliner announcement is for Sunday and some  wild theory that its gonna be a co headline bit and she will swoop in. Stop your straw clutching. Ya'll lost for 2023 cause she decided to take the fucking money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Get over it, not happening. I will laugh so hard when the first headliner announcement is for Sunday and some  wild theory that its gonna be a co headline bit and she will swoop in. Stop your straw clutching. Ya'll lost for 2023 cause she decided to take the fucking money. 

Exactly