Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Let's get one thing straight, when it comes to 'music', Bad Bunny is not the most popular artist in the world.

By several metrics - highest grossing tour, most streamed artist in the world for 3 years in a row - he actually is. Or at least close enough to the #1 slot as to make this argument pointless. Would he headline Glastonbury? Clearly not, but that's a very different question.

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Crikey

To clarify further I don't think it's something to be pleased about or that it's somehow a good thing that this trio will go down better on notoriously angry and divisive social media platforms. There's a very obvious reason Billie, Kendrick and Stormzy didn't go down well on there.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Never understood being upset that you don't like the Pyramid headliner. My first festival had Muse and Coldplay. When you're not watching a headliner you get to explore the rest of the site without massive crowds, or just go see something else.

Exactly. It’s not like other festivals with only a couple of stage options either. In my two Glastonbury’s so far I only saw 1 of 6 pyramid headliners (Metallica) and still walked away having had a life changing experience.

4 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

By several metrics - highest grossing tour, most streamed artist in the world for 3 years in a row - he actually is. Or at least close enough to the #1 slot as to make this argument pointless. Would he headline Glastonbury? Clearly not, but that's a very different question.

Do you know how much stuff I can go and stream and play by just clicking on it? I already had a decent idea I wouldn't like before playing it.

You know all these artists getting tops spots like Lizzo in America that people here are putting high up UK Festivals. I don't even see Bad Bunny hitting them.

His most famous song is 7 years old and it's popular because it's got woman laying down etc in a dark room wearing not much at all. If I went back to watch that video, that would be the reason I'd do it. 

I'm not against the guy but you can't just make some Puerto Rican rap and be called a pop artist.

If Bad Bunny has aspirations to be a worldwide megastar then he would have to take much lower slots in the UK and build a reputation. It's the same for a lot of UK bands they can be playing stadiums here and much smaller places in the US for a while. Some bands are willing to do it and some are not and stick to being huge in one part of the world and relatively small in other parts. The internet makes it a little easier to break out more quickly but it doesn't totally replace the legwork that needs to be done. 

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As we've done to death on here they can only book who is available and willing to take it. The likes of Taylor, Dua, Pink, Beyonce, Madonna, Adele, etc are all for one reason or another unavailable.

They can't just conjure a woman up from nowhere.

I get that for each individual year but when you look long term it's 4 in 17 festivals. It was just surprising to me that it was so skewed even after their commitment to unskew it.