2024 Headliners

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sometimes, certain events are indescribable. You must have witnessed or been part of an event that was so unique or incredible that it was difficult to put into words? I know I have. Sure, that phrase could be construed as being pretentious, depending on how it's being used, but it's pretty much true. For certain events or times, you just had to be there. I've experienced less of these as I've got older, maybe because I'm less adventurous or maybe it's because there are fewer creative sub-cultures doing new and exciting things? I'm not sure.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Funnily enough, the Mutoids / Joe Rush did attempt something similar again about 10 years ago, which seems have fallen into the memory hole a bit

A Kiss On The Apocalypse:

kiss-lypseA2info-copie.jpg

https://cargocollective.com/AKissontheApocalypse/Press-Release-1

Absolutely no memory of this, must have passed me by at the time.

43 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Okay I'll have a go, but am likely to fail as it is very hard to describe (I believe @Sawdusty surfer did a better job a while back).

Galgon/Hugh/Deano/Henry can ignore this post.

It's was the most interactive experience I've ever had a Glastonbury, which immediately sets it apart from most contemporary Glastonbury Festival sets/events/shows. These days there's a much more, almost total feeling of wanting just to be entertained, and little need or willingness to make one's own fun. This was the ultimate in punters "making the show". For those who've been to Shambala think "Shambolympics" on acid (closest recent I can think off).

It was so much more than a few upturned old cars. There were also incredible steel tubed dinosaur style sculptures, weird "cars" in a similar style driving round. The whole "event" had a very post apocalyptic "Mad Max" feeling about it. There were several smaller pieces of performance art going on, like the guy who spent the whole night welding steel framed chair together to form some sort of snake like thing and of course the thing,that for some unfathomable reason, totally winds up Galgon - 100'sw of people "drumming" on the cars and sculptures all night.

As I said it's very hard to describe.

Thank you - sounds a bit like a Burning Man experience!

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm *maybe* misremembering, but *possibly* someone was injured at it...?

We saw some of it after Metallica- but its very, very hazy. 

I was there. It was very muddly and one of the staff slipped down a ramp and was hit by something. They had to close it down for the night.

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

You'll never believe me, largely because you refuse to, but this really was an incredibly different and special night, which never will or can be repeated in any fashion.

But feel free to keep denigrating more or less anything I post.

I don't believe really incredible and special nights exist as an objective thing. They're purely in the eyes of the beholder. It's purely your own experience, and that's great. But it's you that for some reason can't accept that other such people can still have those experiences. And your belief that they don't happen at Glasto any more also ensures you can't possibly have one. You have to be open to it.

We've already had someone else post that they were there too, and thought it was a bit scary and quite unique. Certainly not that it was the best moment of their lives.

2 hours ago, On The Blend said:

Reading through the last few pages folk here seem to have got a bit puritanical, this is Glastonbury not the Anne Frank Haus. So what if someone got a bit wobbly and had what sounds like a wonderful time and lasting memory? I imagine 90% of the posters here go in for some kind of altered state to enhance the experience, what do you think the cider tent is for?

Not at all, but where it does become problematic is when people then try and say that that experience was objectively better than all the other such experiences other people have had at the festival since. Not just for them, but that it was inherently superior. And when it comes from a poster who constantly denigrates everyone elses' experiences. The same poster who gets upset by others calling his experience "a bunch of drugged up young people hitting cars" will happily call Elton a washed up old person hitting a piano. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sometimes, certain events are indescribable. You must have witnessed or been part of an event that was so unique or incredible that it was difficult to put into words? I know I have. Sure, that phrase could be construed as being pretentious, depending on how it's being used, but it's pretty much true. For certain events or times, you just had to be there. I've experienced less of these as I've got older, maybe because I'm less adventurous or maybe it's because there are fewer creative sub-cultures doing new and exciting things? I'm not sure.

Absolutely. And if you ever later reach out to other people who were there, some will tell you it was nothing special to them. Because these are personal subjective experiences.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Elton a washed up old person hitting a piano. 

Good description

I like it, but not as good as an old mate of mine who was "forced" to take his teenage daughters (they went to see who the special guests would be). Anyway his comment was along the lines of "was like (what I imagine) watching Bruce Forsyth"

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't believe really incredible and special nights exist as an objective thing. They're purely in the eyes of the beholder. It's purely your own experience, and that's great. But it's you that for some reason can't accept that other such people can still have those experiences. And your belief that they don't happen at Glasto any more also ensures you can't possibly have one. You have to be open to it.

We've already had someone else post that they were there too, and thought it was a bit scary and quite unique. Certainly not that it was the best moment of their lives.

Not at all, but where it does become problematic is when people then try and say that that experience was objectively better than all the other such experiences other people have had at the festival since. Not just for them, but that it was inherently superior. And when it comes from a poster who constantly denigrates everyone elses' experiences. The same poster who gets upset by others calling his experience "a bunch of drugged up young people hitting cars" will happily call Elton a washed up old person hitting a piano. 

I think one thing this one had over all the other "you had to be there" moments since, is that it seemed to go on for such a long time (possibly days) thus I imagine making it all the more surreal, whereas the ones since are usually over within minutes. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

It's was the most interactive experience I've ever had a Glastonbury, which immediately sets it apart from most contemporary Glastonbury Festival sets/events/shows.

The Dark Room in the Cabaret Tent

Bob's Blundabus 2019/2022

The Portaloo escape room

Rogue Otherworld's late night interactive animal installation

...maybe you've given them a go, maybe you haven't. But there are certainly attempts being made to create experiences and people are giving them a go as well.

1 minute ago, tomf3 said:

I think one thing this one had over all the other "you had to be there" moments since, is that it seemed to go on for such a long time (possibly days) thus I imagine making it all the more surreal, whereas the ones since are usually over within minutes. 

At least 24 hours, but may have been longer

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Good description

I like it, but not as good as an old mate of mine who was "forced" to take his teenage daughters (they went to see who the special guests would be). Anyway his comment was along the lines of "was like (what I imagine) watching Bruce Forsyth"

Forsyth would absolutely hit a car with a hammer though.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Good description

Skippy: Shits on everything other people enjoy.

Also Skippy: "Waaah! People say mean things about what I like!!"

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

The Dark Room in the Cabaret Tent

Bob's Blundabus 2019/2022

The Portaloo escape room

Rogue Otherworld's late night interactive animal installation

...maybe you've given them a go, maybe you haven't. But there are certainly attempts being made to create experiences and people are giving them a go as well.

Not aware of any of them.

There was a kind of Big Brother thing in a caravan in SE corner (Unfairground?) one year.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Skippy: Shits on everything other people enjoy.

Also Skippy: "Waaah! People say mean things about what I like!!"

Starting to think you’re in love with Skip but don’t know how to tell him 

37 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Good description

I had the misfortune of actually seeing Brucey at Avalon one year. Stayed about 5 minutes until I got sick of his misogynistic reactionary drivel.