2024 Headliners

21 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I'll try again

It was so,so,so,so much more than a few kids banging on old cars

And it involved people of all ages

But in the end I have to accept that it was a "had to have been there" experience.

It was to you. It wouldn't have been to everyone. The difference is we didn't have web forums back then where people who didn't like it could complain it was rubbish and ask why it wasn't more like it was in '71.

People every year to go Glastonbury have "had to have been there" experiences of all sorts. Yours was no different just because it happened to you.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It was to you. It wouldn't have been to everyone. The difference is we didn't have web forums back then where people who didn't like it could complain it was rubbish and ask why it wasn't more like it was in '71.

People every year to go Glastonbury have "had to have been there" experiences of all sorts. Yours was no different just because it happened to you.

You'll never believe me, largely because you refuse to, but this really was an incredibly different and special night, which never will or can be repeated in any fashion.

But feel free to keep denigrating more or less anything I post.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

You'll never believe me, largely because you refuse to, but this really was an incredibly different and special night, which never will or can be repeated in any fashion.

But feel free to keep denigrating more or less anything I post.

Are you saying that you hadn't had any drugs on this incredibly different and special night? 

I rest my case, your honour 😉 

The youth of today will just never experience the fantastic night I had thirty years ago when I picked up a girl I'd been tryna f**k since the twelfth grade and it was ironic, I had the brew, she had the chronic and The Lakers beat the Supersonics.

And do you know why?

Because of Woke.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Hmmmm.  There may be something in this.  He was getting on a bit in 2010 but still had it.  Can't imagine his ability to perform has improved in the intervening 14 years.  Might need to check out some more recent footage.....

Elton, GnR, Macca... we have the exact same worries about their chops every single time an older act is announced. People will share unflattering Youtube clips and worry about it being a car crash.... and it never is.

Will he sound like he did in his prime? Probably not.

Will it still be ace? Probably.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I get the get the impression that a lot of people are just happy to be in the same field as these mega stars/"legends" regardless

I get the impression you most certainly don’t, yet you’re one of the most prolific posters on this thread, spreading your negativity. If you’ve little or no interest in these megastars that tend to headline the Pyramid, why do you post so much in this 2024 headliners thread? I’ve no interest in the KLF whatsoever, so give that one a wide berth

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

I get the impression you most certainly don’t, yet you’re one of the most prolific posters on this thread, spreading your negativity. If you’ve little or no interest in these megastars that tend to headline the Pyramid, why do you post so much in this 2024 headliners thread? I’ve no interest in the KLF whatsoever, so give that one a wide berth

have a look at the stats for this thread, near the top on the right, I'm nowhere near

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

have a look at the stats for this thread, near the top on the right, I'm nowhere near

He has a point though, doesn't he?

For a guy with no apparent interest in the Pyramid or any act performing on there you certainly dedicate a lot of time that could be better spent in another thread shitting on any and all acts suggested or linked.

Anyone with a modicum of self awareness would see this.

Reading through the last few pages folk here seem to have got a bit puritanical, this is Glastonbury not the Anne Frank Haus. So what if someone got a bit wobbly and had what sounds like a wonderful time and lasting memory? I imagine 90% of the posters here go in for some kind of altered state to enhance the experience, what do you think the cider tent is for?

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Are they all about dancing around Austin Allegros in the 80's?

FFS sake just leave it out for once

Talk about self awareness!

Following a stranger round a forum, just to have a go.

2 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

Reading through the last few pages folk here seem to have got a bit puritanical, this is Glastonbury not the Anne Frank Haus. So what if someone got a bit wobbly and had what sounds like a wonderful time and lasting memory? I imagine 90% of the posters here go in for some kind of altered state to enhance the experience, what do you think the cider tent is for?

I think there's a misunderstanding... 'I was off my tits on acid and it was great' is a valid answer but I was just trying to get to the bottom of what was so good about Carhenge v1 compared to v2.  As of yet, I still don't have an answer from anyone, apart from 'you just had to be there'. 

9 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

Out of up votes but thanks for the most well balanced and reasonable post in recent pages.

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

FFS sake just leave it out for once

Talk about self awareness!

Following a stranger round a forum, just to have a go.

Guy who spends days and days slagging off things he has no interest in gets rattled when this is pointed out to him....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think there's a misunderstanding... 'I was off my tits on acid and it was great' is a valid answer but I was just trying to get to the bottom of what was so good about Carhenge v1 compared to v2.  As of yet, I still don't have an answer from anyone, apart from 'you just had to be there'. 

Carhenge 1 was an iconic event that was totally new and fresh, and changed the whole course of the festivals development going forward. Carhenge 2 was essentially a monument to that event, which I actually really liked and it was a perfect meeting spot before heading up Muddy lane to go to the Pyramid.

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sometimes, certain events are indescribable. You must have witnessed or been part of an event that was so unique or incredible that it was difficult to put into words? I know I have. Sure, that phrase could be construed as being pretentious, depending on how it's being used, but it's pretty much true. For certain events or times, you just had to be there. I've experienced less of these as I've got older, maybe because I'm less adventurous or maybe it's because there are fewer creative sub-cultures doing new and exciting things? I'm not sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sometimes, certain events are indescribable. You must have witnessed or been part of an event that was so unique or incredible that it was difficult to put into words?

Unironically, stone-cold sober, I absolutely lost it when Barry Gibb appeared in 2016.

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Okay I'll have a go, but am likely to fail as it is very hard to describe (I believe @Sawdusty surfer did a better job a while back).

Galgon/Hugh/Deano/Henry can ignore this post.

It's was the most interactive experience I've ever had a Glastonbury, which immediately sets it apart from most contemporary Glastonbury Festival sets/events/shows. These days there's a much more, almost total feeling of wanting just to be entertained, and little need or willingness to make one's own fun. This was the ultimate in punters "making the show". For those who've been to Shambala think "Shambolympics" on acid (closest recent I can think off).

It was so much more than a few upturned old cars. There were also incredible steel tubed dinosaur style sculptures, weird "cars" in a similar style driving round. The whole "event" had a very post apocalyptic "Mad Max" feeling about it. There were several smaller pieces of performance art going on, like the guy who spent the whole night welding steel framed chair together to form some sort of snake like thing and of course the thing,that for some unfathomable reason, totally winds up Galgon - 100'sw of people "drumming" on the cars and sculptures all night.

As I said it's very hard to describe.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1