2024 Headliners

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Stormzy is nationally famous but less of a big cheese abroad while Dua is a global star.  Obviously she turned down Coachella.

She may only do it once anyway, of course, but they're different orders of successful.

Yeah I think that’s fair. I just get a feeling from the first single it’s not gone down as well as expected with her team and Glasto so they’ve kinda pulled the trigger on her a bit early. Obviously I could be completely wrong. 

7 minutes ago, foolee said:

Does anyone think Dua will just be like Stormzy, one and done and then fall off a cliff. Feel like she’s getting marketed quite well but not sure she’s actually gonna be a mega star like Olivia Rodrigo will be. 

I don't think she will do enough in her next album to hold her place. I take on the other comment also which I can't be bothered to quote lol as her turning down Coachella but she's actually just not ready for that festival apparently given when the rest are starting.

Turning down and not ready are two different things. I imagine you can pencil her in for 2025.

1 minute ago, foolee said:

Yeah I think that’s fair. I just get a feeling from the first single it’s not gone down as well as expected with her team and Glasto so they’ve kinda pulled the trigger on her a bit early. Obviously I could be completely wrong. 

There may come a point in hindsight where she winds up kicking herself for knocking back Coachella, but as previously noted it could easily be the Glastonbury set that ultimately really puts her on the map and guarantees her longevity.

32 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I'm old enough to have seen Oasis on the 'Mid. It was exactly that. Mid.

Appalling live band.

I had fun the times I saw them in small venues 1994ish with Tony McCarroll on the sticks.

First meh time was the headline slot at G95. Shrug of a gig.

McCarroll was their Samson's hair.

40 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I feel Glastonbury has more cultural cachet than Coachella, but I am biased.

Coachella isn't cultural. You have your stages, the Outdoor one's especially though are brilliant. Watching bands with mountains in the background is ace. The tents they have are good but it is a case of turn up and watch your band. They don't have much in camp food options either really....they didn't then anyway. 

But they are both very much places to be seen now, to imagine Glastonbury isn't that would be wrong.

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I had fun the times I saw them in small venues 1994ish with Tony McCarroll on the sticks.

First meh time was the headline slot at G95. Shrug of a gig.

McCarroll was their Samson's hair.

1996 my first gig of theirs so missed the Tony Mac era. Saw them 5 times I reckon and they were never anything more than average sadly.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Coachella isn't cultural. You have your stages, the Outdoor one's especially though are brilliant. Watching bands with mountains in the background is ace. The tents they have are good but it is a case of turn up and watch your band. They don't have much in camp food options either really....they didn't then anyway. 

But they are both very much places to be seen now, to imagine Glastonbury isn't that would be wrong.

Do you think this will ever change, is it a passing phase? 

Myself, I do, and I think it will be sooner than some may think, in the next ten years maybe... Obviously I think they'll still sell out, but the scramble for tickets will become much easier, and there'll be less and less bucket list types around as the trend dies off. 

(I don't have anything against 'bucket list' types myself, I was one the first time I booked, then I fell in love with everything about the place. But I do think social media influencers influence this, and their interest in festivals is sure to peak and die off at some point.)  

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I know it's easy to give Coachella a hard time, but Lana, Tyler and Doja are an exciting trio.

I know it's all personal preference but it's not exciting at all. The worst 3 for me overall I could probably think of there. Its like Wireless with extras.

16 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Do you think this will ever change, is it a passing phase? 

Myself, I do, and I think it will be sooner than some may think, in the next ten years maybe... Obviously I think they'll still sell out, but the scramble for tickets will become much easier, and there'll be less and less bucket list types around as the trend dies off. 

(I don't have anything against 'bucket list' types myself, I was one the first time I booked, then I fell in love with everything about the place. But I do think social media influencers influence this, and their interest in festivals is sure to peak and die off at some point.)  

Not at all no. Coachella for sure won't. Even in earlier days it was a bit look at me here. They've got a bit of after main music stuff but I'll admit if you aren't used to the heat there by the long day's end it does take it's toll. I really enjoyed my year, I'll never go back though. They had checkin points for stages that were links to your social via wristband back in 2013 and they were never accurate.

I think Glastonbury turning into a social media place to be is since Emily took over. Glastonbury also currently is hard to find sustainable at the space they have for how many they let in. Inevitably they need to take on more land to allow for the extra 60k they let in and that results in a price that is beyond what is worth it. This year is borderline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, northernangel said:

I know it's all personal preference but it's not exciting at all. The worst 3 for me overall I could probably think of there. Its like Wireless with extras.

I think we could do with more hip-hop tbh. I get why Glastonbury book Coldplay because they give mates rates, but boring shite that reminds me of the early 2010s (Goulding, James Bay, Jess Glynne etc) can get in the bin.

Edited by Alex DeLarge
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think we could do with more hip-hop tbh. I get why Glastonbury book Coldplay because they give mates rates, but boring shite that reminds me of the early 2010s (Goulding, James Bay, Jess Glynne etc) can get in the bin.

Glastonbury isn't what it was although I enjoyed seeing a lot of nice what you say wow acts but acts I've not seen before last year.

Coldplay probably play virtually for free, I'd be very surprised if it's above 200k at all.

If I'd have bought a Cochella ticket though, I'd genuinely have tried to sell it by now and I'd genuinely think to myself by is someone going to pay nearly $700 for this base.

4 hours ago, northernangel said:

I think Glastonbury turning into a social media place to be is since Emily took over. 

Which just happened to be the same time social media started to become a really prominent feature of our lives everywhere, not just at Glastonbury because of Emily. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

Which just happened to be the same time social media started to become a really prominent feature of our lives everywhere, not just at Glastonbury because of Emily. 

Common problem. Used to be able to just rock up on the day at The Open Golf and pay on the gate. Now it's a ballot for a ticket. No way golf has grown that much as a sport. However taking "the picture" at these events is nearly an Olympic Sport.

22 minutes ago, stuie said:

I didn't say Emily started bloody social media. I said Glastonbury became much more of a social media platform than it was and actually need to be since Emily took over.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's also on Emily.

You being an arsehole though, that isn't on Emily.