2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, stanh said:

I saw her twice on the Future Nostalgia tour and she smashed it both times, really great show and will be well up for buying tickets to her next tour, plus seeing her at Glasto, clash dependant. 

Yeah. It was a great show. The scale of it would suggest she has fairly big plans for the shows coming up.

The more I see of her the more I like her.. she seems genuinely lovely and I’ve always loved her hits, Houdini is insanely catchy.  Still don’t think I’d pay arena gig prices to see her but I’m super excited to see if she is headlining. 

Like I say, probably just anecdotal...

But I mean aside from the demographic on here...on my social media, and people I work with in the office, and the kids and teenagers I teach musical theatre to...no one would be rushing out to get tickets to actually see Dua even though everyone likes her. I can't put my finger on why.... 

Beyonce, Billie Eilish, The 1975, Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Arianna Grande, Blur, Er Sheeran, Madonna, even Take That (cringe)...these aren't necessarily all my cup of tea but I know so many people going on about getting tickets for these types of acts. Dua Lipa is just someone everyone likes to listen to at home.... I really am fascinated to see how a stadium tour would sell for her.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah. It was a great show. The scale of it would suggest she has fairly big plans for the shows coming up.

For sure, excited to see what she does next - expect her and her team know they are gonna have to go even bigger this time round, and I am certain they'll manage to make that happen. Think it'll be a very good, polished performance. Interested to see what she does at the Grammys for her appearance there, expecting a mix of Dance The Night, Houdini and a potential second single for the upcoming album. 

Totally up for Dua Lipa as a headliner, think it will be really good.  In the camp that I probably wouldn't buy tickets for a stadium gig, but if, in the unlikely event, she was playing the provincial city I live in, I would miiiight take the family.  Worse and less relevent musical acts than Dua Lipa sell out Carrow Road lol.

5 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Like I say, probably just anecdotal...

But I mean aside from the demographic on here...on my social media, and people I work with in the office, and the kids and teenagers I teach musical theatre to...no one would be rushing out to get tickets to actually see Dua even though everyone likes her. I can't put my finger on why.... 

Sometimes I wonder if it’s because her work is a bit more club-adjacent than her contemporaries. Doesn’t quite fit into the pop bracket so seamlessly and so she ends up appealing to a slightly different (older) demographic. Just a thought. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Someone must be streaming all that music....

I agree she's not at stadium level yet though - inasmuch as that may be a contradiction given she absolutely fits as a Glastonbury headliner.

I'm one of the streamers...lol. That's what I mean. Her live appeal must be a difficult one to predict for her management team, I'd say it must be quite a risk for them taking that leap for a stadium tour. I don't know....

Agree with her being a headliner for sure

7 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Sometimes I wonder if it’s because her work is a bit more club-adjacent than her contemporaries. Doesn’t quite fit into the pop bracket so seamlessly and so she ends up appealing to a slightly different (older) demographic. Just a thought. 

Yeh maybe

I also wanna add, I really hope it flies because I'm rooting for her

To be honest, just doing festivals would be enough this summer.  Smash those sets and she's on velvet without playing to a 2/3rds full Twickenham 

Review of the show I saw:

https://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/live-music/reviews/dua-lipa-ovo-hydro-glasgow-24-apr#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=17055942335456&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theskinny.co.uk%2Fmusic%2Flive-music%2Freviews%2Fdua-lipa-ovo-hydro-glasgow-24-apr

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

52 minutes ago, stanh said:

For sure, excited to see what she does next - expect her and her team know they are gonna have to go even bigger this time round, and I am certain they'll manage to make that happen. Think it'll be a very good, polished performance. Interested to see what she does at the Grammys for her appearance there, expecting a mix of Dance The Night, Houdini and a potential second single for the upcoming album. 

Dua Lipa would EASILY sell out a stadium tour. She huge with the kids (not a demographic on here) and if you're huge with the kids you sell out stadiums (Olivia Rodrigo style). She'll get a massive crowd at Glastonbury too. Not a massive fan by the way.

3 minutes ago, kpins said:

Dua Lipa would EASILY sell out a stadium tour. She huge with the kids (not a demographic on here) and if you're huge with the kids you sell out stadiums (Olivia Rodrigo style). She'll get a massive crowd at Glastonbury too. Not a massive fan by the way.

She is huge with some kids - no impact in my house. I do think she skews older than O-rod, Billie and even Swift let along K-pop.

2 minutes ago, kpins said:

But Rodrigo hasn't played stadiums in the UK and just about sold out an arena tour w hick involves a large proportion of parents taking their kids. 

22 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Didn't these tickets absolutely shift and earn extra dates due to demand? I was abroad when it happened.

I had to get tickets for friends and their kids without any trouble in coop presale the London o2. They went quickly sure, but not impossible to get. 

Dua Lipa strikes me as someone who has a lot of big songs, but not necessarily a big, dedicated fanbase in the same way that Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Billie Eilish, Harry Styles etc do.

I don't think I've ever come across a Dua Lipa "stan" on social media before, whereas I certainly have for those other big pop stars.

Edited by WhoOdyssey
  • Upvote 1

Just now, WhoOdyssey said:

Dua Lipa strikes me as someone who has a lot of big songs, but not necessarily a big, dedicated fanbase in the same way that Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Billie Eilish, Harry Styles do.

I don't think I've ever come across a Dua Lipa "stan" on social media before, whereas I have for the other big popstars I mentioned.

True enough. Maybe because her songs are less personal and self-reflective and are more on the party anthem end of the spectrum.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

True enough. Maybe because her songs are less personal and self-reflective and are more on the party anthem end of the spectrum.

I'd agree with that. I was just reading this Reddit thread about it, and a lot of people suggest it's down to a lack of personality and online presence. Although the latter certainly isn't a negative in my book.  

2 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

I'd agree with that. I was just reading this Reddit thread about it, and a lot of people suggest it's down to a lack of personality and online presence. Although the latter certainly isn't a negative in my book.  

Interesting. I'll take a read. Though it's not like she's some enigma.  She has her own media and culture arm (Service 95), a book club and a podcast.  She even held Time Cook's feet to the fire over cobalt mining...

13 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

I had to get tickets for friends and their kids without any trouble in coop presale the London o2. They went quickly sure, but not impossible to get. 

Alright for some. Don't think I know anyone who got their hands on Manchester seats.