2024 Headliners

2 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Please see the additional previous comment that brings this together.

As I think it's being misinterpreted as randomly promoting an up and coming act (not the intention) 

For Clarity I'd like 3 headliners to be. (These are examples to give a feeling of the kind of booking I'm talking about) 

1 fresh new act (e.g Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa)

1 promoted act (e.g Pulp, Chems)

1 big name (Madonna, Elton John) 

The promoted act is me meaning an act that is not currently considered to be big enough to headline because we have set the goalposts far too high. 

Why would you promote 2 acts 20+ years past their peak

Hardly progressive

They aren't currently considered big enough because the festival can do better for pyramid headliners than an act like chems who can't sell out a single night at the o2 for £60 standing 

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Why would you promote 2 acts 20+ years past their peak

Hardly progressive

They aren't currently considered big enough because the festival can do better for pyramid headliners than an act like chems who can't sell out a single night at the o2 for £60 standing 

The last Chemical Brothers album is fantastic, they have been in a purple patch for the last 3 albums. They did sell out O2 standing.  Was trying to get tickets and you could only get them through twickets.   I think critically and live they have been at their peak in the last 10 years.  They would make an awesome Pyramid headliner in every way. Visually, vibes, big tunes everything.  It's not "progressive" as they've done it before + it won't happen, they will be on the Other stage.  You are right though the festival can "do better" (get bigger) headliners...but they aren't past their peak.

Saw Harry Styles last summer with no real expectations and was completely won over. Have zero doubts that he would smash a headline slot. Do recall him stating he will be having a break in 2024, but if you are going to do a one-off show, then Glasto is the one.

Just now, Sitruc97 said:

Saw Harry Styles last summer with no real expectations and was completely won over. Have zero doubts that he would smash a headline slot. Do recall him stating he will be having a break in 2024, but if you are going to do a one-off show, then Glasto is the one.

You'd think he'll do it on the next album cycle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

The last Chemical Brothers album is fantastic, they have been in a purple patch for the last 3 albums. They did sell out O2 standing.  Was trying to get tickets and you could only get them through twickets.   I think critically and live they have been at their peak in the last 10 years.  They would make an awesome Pyramid headliner in every way. Visually, vibes, big tunes everything.  It's not "progressive" as they've done it before + it won't happen, they will be on the Other stage.  You are right though the festival can "do better" (get bigger) headliners...but they aren't past their peak.

Agreed. Some people on here are so hard to please. I don't think they realise that by knocking every suggestion that doesn't suit their exacting needs they are just feeding this never ending cycle of dissatisfaction. The festival is not there solely to entertain you and you alone, at some point you will have to accept that a headliner will not be your cup of tea.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's also Lana's demographic.

Lana’s demographic just go to two Lana gigs per year. 

6 minutes ago, Krisesk said:

Can't wait to see The National closing The Pyramid Stage with Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks. Complete with about 30 people in the crowd singing along.

I say that as a big fan of theirs as well.  

Yeah I'd be fine if they never did that at their gigs again. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While I agree that neither is a lock at this point, the latter have headlined BST which isn't too far away from the same ballpark. But who knows how things will stand in 3 or 4 years.

While they did headline, they failed to sell out one of the lower capacity days at BST.

11 minutes ago, km9 said:

Some people on here are so hard to please. I don't think they realise that by knocking every suggestion that doesn't suit their exacting needs they are just feeding this never ending cycle of dissatisfaction. The festival is not there solely to entertain you and you alone, at some point you will have to accept that a headliner will not be your cup of tea.

The festival has many stages, and acts tend to play in slots that are appropriate to their standing/popularity. There are many acts that can headline slightly smaller festivals (The National, Pet Shop Boys, Nick Cave etc), or maybe headlined The Pyramid years ago when they were more popular than they are now, or before the festival got as huge as it currently is (New Order, The Chems etc) and are a natural shoe in to headline The Other. There is a natural order to things are Glasto, and usually they get it right. A lot of Pyramid headliners don't do much for me, but I rarely think they make poor bookings in that spot

• Upvote 1