2024 Headliners

15 minutes ago, incident said:

Nah, it does.

She might have passed you by / not be to your taste, but "not enough bangers" is a comically bad take.

And yet it's a take Imma double down on. Familiar with a chunk of the songs listed, assume plenty of them were hits, but not many of them have the sort of quality or staying power or recognition factor to make 'em classics.

This isn't to say she's not a headliner, but it's as much on the back of her doing the acrobatics bit as it is due to the fact that she'll play the likes of Who Knew.

8 minutes ago, crumbler said:

I'd be happy with Dua or Madge but P!nk would be absolutely desperate. The stuff people on here are willing to settle for these days is insane.

Tbf I don't think many have said it would be good, just that she has the creds.

6 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Not sure where the odd chatter about Pink having not enough bangers comes from. Twenty-one top-ten hits - stretching from 2000 to 2021 - makes me think otherwise.

There's a few big cuts missing from the current run, but to be honest, you could streamline the whole thing into a ninety-minute set and absolutely blow the doors off.

Get the Party Started
Raise Your Glass
Who Knew
Just Like a Pill
Try
What About Us
Turbulence
Make You Feel My Love
Just Give Me a Reason
10 F**kin' Perfect
11 Just Like Fire
12 Please Don't Leave Me
13 When I Get There
14 U + Ur Hand
15 TRUSTFALL
16 Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
17 Never Gonna Not Dance Again
18 So What

And there's still a few missing there too. (U + Ur Hand a bratty favourite of mine, so had to crowbar it in somewhere.)

1 hour ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

I just don’t see how P!nk could be a headliner. Sure she shifts lots of tickets on her own tours but doesn’t have a cross generational appeal or legendary status, plus she’s not released anything relevant in mainstream pop in over 10 years

It's all down to personal taste but I just can't be arsed with P!nk headlining, not interested in the slightest. Don't know half the songs that's been listed and the ones I do know I've not actually heard in years. Imagine expecting Madonna and P!nk turns up flying across the pyramid 😩

10 minutes ago, thewomble said:

It's all down to personal taste but I just can't be arsed with P!nk headlining, not interested in the slightest. Don't know half the songs that's been listed and the ones I do know I've not actually heard in years. Imagine expecting Madonna and P!nk turns up flying across the pyramid 😩

Same. Actually, I'm the same with Madonna. And Dua. And Coldplay. And almost everyone else who's been mentioned. It's the thinnest of gruel this year.

If you're a person who judges a headliner against having decades worth of hits, cross generational and cultural appeal and an expectation that they would fill the whole field, then you're in for increasingly sad times over the coming years because the number of artists in the centre of that particular Venn diagram is diminishing. 

In the 13 years I've been going to Glastonbury, the Pyramid field has never felt empty for any of the headliner's I've seen. Its sometimes much busier than others, but that is no reflection of the legitimacy of the artist being there or the success of the set being played.

Can Pink and Dave headline Glastonbury. Absolutely. Did GnR and Metalica deserve to play. Absolutely. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

If you're a person who judges a headliner against having decades worth of hits, cross generational and cultural appeal and an expectation that they would fill the whole field, then you're in for increasingly sad times over the coming years because the number of artists in the centre of that particular Venn diagram is diminishing. 

Not really. There's always someone new just around the corner. A few years back people would have laughed at the thought of Harry Styles doing it, but now he's absolutely in the frame on his next album cycle.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not really. There's always someone new just around the corner. A few years back people would have laughed at the thought of Harry Styles doing it, but now he's absolutely in the frame on his next album cycle.

It's still one of the most hilarious suggestions I've heard.

13 hours ago, Drinky said:

There’s a lot of bollocks being talked about Kendrick’s crowd here. Packed in tight past the sound desks, maybe double GNR’s crowd despite being up against a much more brutal clash with a Pet Shop Boys hits set

image.thumb.jpeg.3a17a557b5eb93b11e2792ee80e81eb5.jpeg

Is this a real photo? Looks a bit illustrated to me. Unless starlink directly aligned with the pyramid? 

Perfectly happy with Pink/Dua/Coldplay but it does feel quite narrow in terms of genre/style. Labels are ultimately meaningless but they all fall under the broad 'pop' umbrella in a way recent headliner trios haven't. Normally there's one 'odd one out' which adds a bit of diversity, either by being from a noticeably different genre to the others (GnR, Kendrick, Metallica) or covering a different era than just 'chart hits from the last couple of years' (Paul McCartney, The Who, U2, Stevie Wonder).

Does this mean we're still maybe only getting 2 of the 3 right? I can't shake the feeling there's going to be some leftfield name that suddenly enters the running.

7 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Not sure where the odd chatter about Pink having not enough bangers comes from. Twenty-one top-ten hits - stretching from 2000 to 2021 - makes me think otherwise.

There's a few big cuts missing from the current run, but to be honest, you could streamline the whole thing into a ninety-minute set and absolutely blow the doors off.

Get the Party Started
Raise Your Glass
Who Knew
Just Like a Pill
Try
What About Us
Turbulence
Make You Feel My Love
Just Give Me a Reason
10 F**kin' Perfect
11 Just Like Fire
12 Please Don't Leave Me
13 When I Get There
14 U + Ur Hand
15 TRUSTFALL
16 Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
17 Never Gonna Not Dance Again
18 So What

And there's still a few missing there too. (U + Ur Hand a bratty favourite of mine, so had to crowbar it in somewhere.)

Saw her at Villa Park a few months back. She is the only artist that both me and my wife like collectively (my wife much more than me).

I can safely say it was one of the greatest musical and theatrical performances I have ever witnessed. It was absolutely incredible.

Her voice is astonishing, her relationship with the crowd, humour, acrobatics, superb.

She has more than enough absolute belters.

This will be one of those where days weeks and months after a headline Glasto set, this place would be beaming about how much she annihilated it. It isn't even a debate.

There were people on this very forum questioning whether Elton John was suitable to headline Glasto 🤦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

I'm with here. I think she'd be fantastic.

I went to the gig looking forward to it as I've always liked her, but this was another level of showmanship. She is an absolute icon. She also embodies the Glasto ethos, speaks up for minority groups with sincerity, and an all round excellent person.

Definitely didn't shed a tear with the wife hearing Pink sing "Perfect" at the piano...

2 minutes ago, Drinky said:

It's the Pyramid lights inverted... You often get that reflection of stage lights on phone cameras (I took this myself on an iPhone)

Fair enough, it looked edited to me! 😀

8 hours ago, Suprefan said:

It goes to show you the glasto festival audience doesnt have that broad of taste in music. Said it before but last year when I was waiting in the queue for the shuttle and just chatting to people about the weekend and the music there was just a ridiculous lack of knowledge when it came to the lineup. So yeah, you lot dont research sh*t and maybe if ya did or just broadened your horizons then things would be different. 

😄 ffs

'You lot don't research sh*t' is a fantastically boneheaded thing to say about a crowd, a country, a big group of people - perhaps they just didnt want to talk to you! I know you're probably just trying to wind people up, but thats really quite sad and reductive. 

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

😄 ffs

'You lot don't research sh*t' is a fantastically boneheaded thing to say about a crowd, a country, a big group of people - perhaps they just didnt want to talk to you! I know you're probably just trying to wind people up, but thats really quite sad and reductive. 

He's just hurt that us lot still haven't 'researched' his beloved bunny. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

He's just hurt that us lot still haven't 'researched' his beloved bunny. 

Oh i did, i lasted all of about a song and a half before i *prepares polite voice* decided it probably wasnt for me. Or wrote it off as unmitigated bollocks, one of those two. ( and i now await being called a xenophobe 😄 )

• Like 1