2024 Headliners

16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They never actually played the festival though, did they?

Pulled out on a few weeks notice. Michael has been fairly critical: "We’re not very forgiving for bands that don’t turn up".

But added "It was the best cancellation ever". 

It’s one of the longer running festival beefs that’s not connected to other matters (Brian May and the badgers for example) - I remember Michael being asked about them when the Chilis were going through their run of huge albums/shows in the mid 00s and saying something like “well, they’re a kids band, they’re not serious enough for us”, and every time since it’s been dismissed out of hand

31 minutes ago, Drinky said:

It’s one of the longer running festival beefs that’s not connected to other matters (Brian May and the badgers for example) - I remember Michael being asked about them when the Chilis were going through their run of huge albums/shows in the mid 00s and saying something like “well, they’re a kids band, they’re not serious enough for us”, and every time since it’s been dismissed out of hand

I've never respected Michael more 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RaphPH said:

So I don’t know where the rumour came from - but apparently one of the headliners last played the festival in the 90s.

If that's literally true, it narrows it down to some unlikely acts - arguably the most notable of which would be Bob Dylan, Robbie Williams, Sting, and Peter Gabriel. While all of those are big names they don't seem to be a fit for headline anymore, but anyone else I can come up with falls even further short. That's from a quick scan of the lineups of the era, I guess it's also possible that someone played as a total unlisted unknown and blew up since.

I'm excluding The Stone Roses and RHCP on the basis that they never actually played their sets. Foo Fighters did meet the criteria before they turned up in 2017.

Edit: If you stretch "the 90s" to mean pre-fence and include 2000, then you can add Elastica. Who I accept even on a one off reunion gig probably aren't headline level but I don't give a f**k about that, I'd love it.

Edited by incident

7 minutes ago, incident said:

If that's literally true, it narrows it down to some unlikely acts - arguably the most notable of which would be Bob Dylan, Robbie Williams, Sting, and Peter Gabriel. While all of those are big names they don't seem to be a fit for headline anymore,

Bob Dylan could do the "old duffers" slot, following in the footsteps of Macca and Elton

Just now, Skip997 said:

Bob Dylan could do the "old duffers" slot, following in the footsteps of Macca and Elton

Not the same thing at all, given his habit of singing his songs to a random tune rather than the one people know. Or often no tune at all.

Saw Springsteen at Hyde Park a few weeks back. I went to Night 2, which is the least casual-friendly of the two he's basically been playing. 

Think that Night 1 setlist would go down a treat on the farm, though. Maybe swap out some stuff in the middle (Kitty's Back, Mary's Place) and get Jungleland and another couple bit hitters in there and I think it would be magical. 

2 hours ago, incident said:

Edit: If you stretch "the 90s" to mean pre-fence and include 2000, then you can add Elastica. Who I accept even on a one off reunion gig probably aren't headline level but I don't give a f**k about that, I'd love it.

sharing the love for Elastica