2024 Festival

Chad888

3 hours ago, RedJosh said:

What makes an act truly big is being trans generational. 

I think this is it, when you are young, you don't have much reference to what is big or not. Bands that we perceive as big when we grow up, i.e. we get a lot of exposure to when we are young (for me Eminem, Afroman and Gorillaz are some of the biggest things in the world, because they were all the rage when I was young).

I look back at the 08 lineup and see Arctic Monkeys headlining, and think they were one of the biggest bands back then because I remember hearing their music. Same with Paramore, Kasabian, P!atD, Fall Out Boy, Biffy Clyro ... I percieve them as huge because they were widely known 15 years ago and were headlining R&L, but back then, they were actually relatively new and were seen as "why the hell are they headlining , the Festival is dying".

BMTH are going to be that in 10 years, when kids look back, see they are headlining, see they have radio play, see they feature Ed Sheeran etc, they percieve them as huge because they have little else to reference it against.

• Like 1

Could the ‘big change for 2024’ be stages/days catered to certain artists?

or even letting the headliners curate their stage? 👀

I’d be so down for a full day of pop punk topped by Blink tbf

Opposite someone like Fred Again/Travis Scott with a lineup catered to their respective genres. 

9 minutes ago, jcarb said:

Could the ‘big change for 2024’ be stages/days catered to certain artists?

or even letting the headliners curate their stage? 👀

I’d be so down for a full day of pop punk topped by Blink tbf

Opposite someone like Fred Again/Travis Scott with a lineup catered to their respective genres. 

It only tends to happen when a huge artist is booked, they are given freedom to curate their undercard (Foo Fighters), and a lot of headliners tend to have their current supporting acts play below them too ... RTJ were supporting RATM for example.

The stages (Dance, FR, Pit, 1Xtra) are for genre specific lineups, the mainstage is supposed to be a crowd pleasing stage, enjoyed by the generic music fan. 

19 hours ago, mttJ said:

Apparently blink’s cancelled shows in Scotland/Ireland are being rescheduled for August 2024, so that’s one headliner that we were already pretty sure about which we can basically confirm.

That’ll be a day ticket for me. 

Confirmed quicker than expected!

Hope for a nice undercard but honestly not too fussed either way. May even do a rogue Leeds Saturday/Reading Sunday (provided those are actually the dates).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

It only tends to happen when a huge artist is booked, they are given freedom to curate their undercard (Foo Fighters), and a lot of headliners tend to have their current supporting acts play below them too ... RTJ were supporting RATM for example.

The stages (Dance, FR, Pit, 1Xtra) are for genre specific lineups, the mainstage is supposed to be a crowd pleasing stage, enjoyed by the generic music fan. 

Or was also in the days when there was an extra big stage to offer an alternative for people who couldn’t give a f**k about Foo Fighters or other bands that people who like the Foo Fighters like

Of which there were a fair number

https://www.facebook.com/bbcradio1/videos/1925643454204905/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

47 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Don't put Pendulum 3rd down lol, they are dead there.

Where else are they gonna play?

This is the problem with there not being a big second stage/tent - acts who would usually be headlining or playing high up it are now playing the main stage instead, which leads to acts like Bicep playing middle of the day and it just being a bit odd.

Although that said, Pendulum played third down at Download and I believe it went down very well. 

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

This is the problem with there not being a big second stage/tent - acts who would usually be headlining or playing high up it are now playing the main stage instead, which leads to acts like Bicep playing middle of the day and it just being a bit odd.

Although that said, Pendulum played third down at Download and I believe it went down very well. 

It was sh*t! The worst I've probably seen them. No light for the songs and the daylight just killed the Pendulum show that was in darkness. With NME they can't go anywhere that makes it a worthwhile booking.

33 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I thought Pendulum themselves were good but the sound was too quiet, which isn’t their fault. They’ve still got that gap that hasn’t been filled since their MC left either. 

14 hours ago, northernangel said:

Don't put Pendulum 3rd down lol, they are dead there.

They played last year

I don't think they are too ridiculous as a dance tent headliner - DNB is massive atm they would pack it out

arguably overkill tho vs some cheap sh*t dj 

Edited by gfa

6 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

New blink album is pretty class. After seeing the greatest hits set again last weekend in Manchester, really hoping next year they go a bit heavy on new material but I expect it'll be sparse. 

Can likely base it off what they do at WWWY this weekend. 

With both being festival sets I’d assume still a greatest hits with 4-5 new songs chucked in. 

Imo Travis’ production drags down a lot of the new Blink album. Like I know both Tom and Mark have never had the strongest voices but my god is the auto tune jarring at times, as well as the general sound of a lot of the album just being so compressed and overly poppy. Suppose they didn’t have much of a choice given he’s been producing a lot of the new wave of pop punk coming out, but Travis really should’ve stuck to the drums on this one.

Not the big home run I was hoping for, but there are enough good songs for it to not be a total disappointment. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Imo Travis’ production drags down a lot of the new Blink album. Like I know both Tom and Mark have never had the strongest voices but my god is the auto tune jarring at times, as well as the general sound of a lot of the album just being so compressed and overly poppy. Suppose they didn’t have much of a choice given he’s been producing a lot of the new wave of pop punk coming out, but Travis really should’ve stuck to the drums on this one.

Not the big home run I was hoping for, but there are enough good songs for it to not be a total disappointment. 

Didnt cancer kinda wreck Marks voice temporarily though? I honestly dont notice it.

1 minute ago, wghennessy said:

Didnt cancer kinda wreck Marks voice temporarily though? I honestly dont notice it.

Yeah think that had something to do with it, and Tom’s voice has been f**ked for a long long time.

I’m no audiophile or anything but it was something I noticed immediately when they released Edging and it’s really apparent through a lot of the album imo and kind of sucks the life out of some of the songs as they sound too robotic.