2024 Festival

Chad888

6 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Are we truly thinking we have seen the end of the dual mainstage days?

If I was a gambling man I’d say no… wouldn’t surprise me if they’re upgrading the dance stage so it’s similar to the old R1 tent but keeping the main stages 

I hope I’m wrong and they’re scrapping them all together 

Edited by Dukey

I was only having the conversation regarding the future of the dual main stage thing this weekend whilst attending the festival. The economic benefits for R&L by opting for the dual mainstage and getting rid of many of the tents is booking less acts resulting in lower costs whilst still gain 3 bigger names that otherwise wouldnt play the festival. 

The limitations of the tents at the moment is that some of the acts have tiny crowds on the main stage and would benefit from a bigger tent with more atmosphere. I would be all for the dance tent going in replacement for a large R1 sized tent and would also hope it sounds better than the dance tent because that tent is f**king awful for anything but DJs 

1 hour ago, Dull Tools said:

I am not sure if I would want the big tent back or not.

I guess the big benefit is that you get back the bands who are not quite big enough for main stage who are on their way up.

For next year - I was wondering what is the chance of a Tame Impala or Haim? Both are headlining festivals now.

For the older rock band type - how about The Strokes? Could they do the Main Stage East?

The big benefit is you have a reasonably sized alternative to what is programmed on the main stage

Haim would be a decent shout for the Tent headliner one night

18 hours ago, gfa said:

they were never out the download mixer, they do metal fests every year pretty much ... download just love booking the same acts repeatedly

I have heard this as a criticism of Download in the past, so wouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Having not been to Download, I think the idea of going to see Muse there would interest me more than Reading, which I saw them at years ago. Much as I'm aware 2024 will have been 7 years since their last visit and I think they still (just about) have the pull to do it. If indeed they're interested in a 4th go.

The idea of no Paramore is perhaps the big surprise given they're at Wembley the week before. Although given they just had to cancel part of a US tour due to illness, maybe they think the ridiculous amount of shows in May-Aug supporting Taylor Swift across Europe is enough, which is something Paramore fans themselves suggested to me on their Reddit tbf.

Just now, Benj said:

The big benefit is you have a reasonably sized alternative to what is programmed on the main stage

Haim would be a decent shout for the Tent headliner one night

I dont think so i think Haim would be mainstage subs if the MSW goes or if tent comes back aswell as dual mainstage they would headline MSW

36 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Are we truly thinking we have seen the end of the dual mainstage days?

No, I think we may see the end of the dance tent and something somewhere between the FR and old Big Tent (band size wise) as it’s replacement to offer a wider appealing alternative to the main

44 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Phoebe Bridgers would attract a huge crowd and could easily do MSW imo. She's literally a god to a large portion of the Reading audience

I would dissolve into a puddle of ecstacy if she did. I saw Boygenius in Halifax last week and it was an insane show. It's been a hell of a long time since I've heard a crowd get into a song as hard as they did when the bridge to Not Strong Enough hit. I feel like Kyoto and I Know The End would be euphoric live.

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Ideal return to form: 

Main: Muse / Two Door Cinema Club / Tom Grennan 

R1: Little Simz 

Main: Travis Scott / Aitch / Ice Spice 

R1: The Wombats 

Main: Blink-182 / YUNGBLUD / Pendulum 

R1: Phoebe Bridgers

Need to swap Bridgers and The Wombats or I’ll be crying for the return of two clashless stages!

I reckon Dua Lipa will be at Glastonbury.

I would like to think the festival are considering scrapping the two main stage format and bringing back the tent. It was a good idea in 2021 when lockdown and mandates were still a thing; it makes less sense now.

As for Melvin's comments about the headliner who has headlined before. I'm thinking one of Muse, Green Day or Blink 182. Or Post Malone or The 1975.😂

Friday Reading / Saturday Leeds

MSE Headliner: Paramore

MSW Headliner: Doja Cat

Saturday Reading / Sunday Leeds

MSE Headliner: Post Malone

MSW Headliner: Fred again..

Sunday Reading / Friday Leeds

MSE Headliner: Blink-182

MSW Headliner: Kasabian

Other acts appearing throughout the weekend

Phoebe Bridgers, Little Simz, Tom Grennan, IDLES, PinkPantheress, Rex Orange County, The Wombats, Courteeners, Blossoms

39 minutes ago, Benj said:

No, I think we may see the end of the dance tent and something somewhere between the FR and old Big Tent (band size wise) as it’s replacement to offer a wider appealing alternative to the main

I wonder if they’d then chuck some dance acts on the r1extra stage? I know it’s not the main draw to reading but the big acts dimension Andy c etc get big crowds, while some of the rap acts get like 20 people.
Also what would become of LS23? Would Leeds get dance acts and reading not?

Edited by Will b

Had a quick chat with Melvin on Sunday in the main arena at Reading and he told me the artist had headlined in the past 10 years. I’m going to go with Blink, seems plausible that when they announced the reunion, festival republic would’ve been quick to getting them booked