2023 Wishlist

Nick07

My Last.FM account informed me a few weeks back that Wilco and Gwenno were playing. Has something been self announced, is it an old line up, has my last.fm just glitched out and made something up or was it some playlist somebody made and called it end of the road and I have misread? Anyway, I assumed it had been announced and they were playing until just now when I decided to check!

20 minutes ago, some dude said:

My Last.FM account informed me a few weeks back that Wilco and Gwenno were playing. Has something been self announced, is it an old line up, has my last.fm just glitched out and made something up or was it some playlist somebody made and called it end of the road and I have misread? Anyway, I assumed it had been announced and they were playing until just now when I decided to check!

Her website has her at Moseley Folk & Arts Festival, Sept 1st 'w/ Wilco <edit> and several other mentioned acts, not a Gwenno & Wilco specific twinning', so why not...

Edited by p.pete

Personally don't fully understand the one man campaign against Wilco headlining? They're not my jam, but I could deffo see them doing it personally

13 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Wilco headlined back in 2012 iirc. Booking them for the same slot in 2023 would be weak. Especially as they're playing Mosely folk festival which has recently has The Waterboys and Supergrass as headliners. 

Thursday headliner feels right to me. 

48 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

I thought Wilco were great on the Garden stage in 2010

They were indeed great then. They were great at Black Deer last summer. They usually are great, and never less than very good. I think they're too big for a Thursday night, and I still don't really see them playing, though will happily eat Jeff Tweedy's hat if they do.

Edited by RedRockRick
adding text

7 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

They were indeed great then. They were great at Black Deer last summer. They usually are great, and never less than very good. I think they're too big for a Thursday night, and I still don't really see them playing, though will happily eat Jeff Tweedy's hat if they do.

The thing with talking about Wilco all the time, apart from that we know they have a kinship with the festival, is they're the only significant and appropriate non-European act we know are in Europe that weekend (apart from Amyl & the Sniffers, who are around for Green Man weekend too), and apart from the two unfulfilled headliners who we don't know are going to be touring at all in the summer we currently have no other leads whatsoever. We don't even know yet whether All Points West, which it shared a few visitors with, is going ahead the previous weekend.

20 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

They're not too expensive for the Thursday I don't think. The fact they're booked for Moseley folk festival makes me think they're not super expensive. 

1 hour ago, RedRockRick said:

Yeah I don't think Wilco will be playing 

Ive lost count of the amount of times Ive seen Wilco. Theyre always good. Considering most festival lineups this year looks like binfires, its a solid booking wherever they play. We need more oomph and less ernest singer songwriters imo. 

Also they need to makes amends for this fairly weak setlist

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2010/larmer-tree-gardens-salisbury-england-3bd5ccf4.html

I reckon Gaz Coombes is a runner. Hes doing a couple of festivals in July.

19 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

Think they're only doing that one show at Just Like Heaven festival. Seen they're due an album this year though so could be a goer for a regular show

That and it's a 40-minute album.  If they're headlining then they need to be drawing more widely for their setlist, perfect for a shorter festival slot otherwise...

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

Ive lost count of the amount of times Ive seen Wilco. Theyre always good. Considering most festival lineups this year looks like binfires, its a solid booking wherever they play. We need more oomph and less ernest singer songwriters imo. 

Also they need to makes amends for this fairly weak setlist

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/wilco/2010/larmer-tree-gardens-salisbury-england-3bd5ccf4.html

I reckon Gaz Coombes is a runner. Hes doing a couple of festivals in July.

I'd love Gaz Coombes to be there! This is a fucking brilliant tune:

I know there's been some talk of Phoebe Bridgers, but I reckon her current popularity would maybe make it unlikely she would headline EOTR (though not impossible - not sure she'd be more costly than Pixies). But she could play with Boygenius. Lucy Dacus told us last year (and not in the usual way that artists do it) that it's her favourite festival, so can see her being keen. New album announced: https://pitchfork.com/news/boygenius-announce-new-album-the-record-share-three-songs-listen