The good, the bad and the ugly

Fat_Buddha

30 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

And it was, because he's written a review of it which features some very odd descriptions (and some bands he's obviously very excited and verbose about, in fairness) https://joyzine.org/2022/09/08/end-of-the-road-festival-1st-to-4th-september-2022-larmer-tree-gardens-wiltshire/

Enjoyed this, especially the bit about people ‘escaping the [black midi] barrage into a more pleasant world of Fleet Foxes niceness, harmony & order’.  That was me, exactly.

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

And it was, because he's written a review of it which features some very odd descriptions (and some bands he's obviously very excited and verbose about, in fairness) https://joyzine.org/2022/09/08/end-of-the-road-festival-1st-to-4th-september-2022-larmer-tree-gardens-wiltshire/

Cracking review that, apart from the dissing of country music

Edited by Fat_Buddha
Typo

The good: Almost everything really, I loved the lineup, loved Porridge Radio, Black Midi, Scalping, Kevin Morby, Pigs, Party Dozen, Fat Dog, Grove’s late Tipi set. For the first time in my three visits I went to the Talking Heads and enjoyed some comedy, and in general I was more paced and relaxed than the previous times where I was running from stage to stage. I really like 13th floor’s coffee and the abundance of vegan food choices. The boat stage is a nice addition, but like everyone else said as it is it works better for smaller crowds. 

The bad The toilet and shower facilities in boutique camping were really poor, one of the three blocks was always closed and the rest were blocked and unclean and without tissue. Sunday night the lights were out as well. On Saturday it seems there was a leak in the mains pipe, and there was a clash between the festival people and those working for the contractor. Emailed them about it and they responded that they are aware and they are working to get to the bottom of this. 

The Ugly: Conor Oberst clearly needs some help.

Herself insisted we get the early birds in the next day so that was a good sign even after the boutique toilet massacre.  I like the slight change to the layout that removed the boutique fences and allowed a shortcut through the fence rather than going the long way.   Originally was a bit annoyed they'd not done a fence again but it's fine and easier to navigate.

I didn't like the ever shrinking set of caterers and further old favourites either not being there (Thoroughly Wild Meat Co.) or becoming a shadow of themselves (La Grande Bouffe).  I probably should have gotten more from the fish place. The Whitebait was delicious but you've to be committed to tasting it for the rest of the night.  I felt the metro IPA was quite weak (3.8%) so it felt a bit watery.  The NYC ale they had in the firepit area was much better but too many queues there whenever I went.  

Music wise I much prefer the pre Covid era line-ups where the Garden had some up coming acts with a little more energy than constant Jazz and Folk.  Needed a Jade Bird style in betweener at least. I really dislike the two tent venues but these seem to be the place to go if you want something with a little kick.  Maybe it is a crowd control thing.  Maybe I am not as in tune with stuff as I used to be (been a busy year for me).  For example Car Seat Headrest being in the Garden would never happen now though that was one of my favourites there.

The first 5 songs of the Pixies was great.  It was dead for me after that.  Bright Eyes was a horrible drunken embarrassment.  We were right up the front so could see the two handed grasp for the flask to keep the energy levels up.   We left after a few songs when we heard the slurred speech.   If you could ignore that I am sure it was great.   At least that meant we got to see Aldous Harding who was a nice chilled end to things and we were right outside our tent when the rain hit so amazingly lucky there.

I wish there was less bands locked into tiny venues (the boat/talking heads/Piano) that require dedicating lots of time to queue to secure access to.  I'd have loved to see a bit of Marlaena Moore but she was in Talking Heads and we'd gone there for James Yorkston on Friday and had to queue for the privilege to get in.  If being far off in the forest actually shielded you from the other stages sound bleed I'd understand but we could clearly hear Fleet Foxes kickoff while at James. 

Make a proper sub garden sized outdoor stage that replaces the Piano, Boat and talking heads.  The concept that a few people will have a lovely experience at the expense of others just not seeing these acts might have worked when the festival had half the capacity but its just too many people for this carry on now.

Ugly wise the NX coach to Bristol being an hour and a half late with no explanation or update.  As we needed to get to the airport for a flight we were starting to panic.  I didn't see it but heard several people in the queue being traumatised as the nearby farm house butchered a Deer.  Probably not the greatest end to the festival for some (the deer).  

I'm sure above seems like I am complaining more than anything else but as I said it was an instant rebook. The overall chilled vibe and location and opportunity to see great acts will have us coming back.

• Like 1

I'd hate to see the Piano stage replaced with anything bigger. It's so nice to sit/stand so close just for a couple of songs. I know there's only room for a few but I'm happy to take that chance; I've missed a fair few but happy for those who make it.

• Upvote 1

Had a lovely time! Just wanted to second I was also annoyed by people smoking in crowded areas like down at the front where it was packed. I know, it's outside, but it's still unhealthy and I hate the smell too. Doesn't seem too difficult to go to one of the less crowded parts, as is normal in other public spaces such as train stations.

On the subject of smoking,  I actually commented that I'd seen surprisingly few few people smoking but there was a fair bit of weed about judging by the smell! 

As a former smoker who tried to be considerate, it is pretty unavoidable to smoke in crowds, sometimes. It's an addiction, so not the simple case of just waiting as some have suggested. Throw in drink and it probably could be better but I didn't think it was as bad as other years. 

2 hours ago, Caspar201 said:

Had a lovely time! Just wanted to second I was also annoyed by people smoking in crowded areas like down at the front where it was packed. I know, it's outside, but it's still unhealthy and I hate the smell too. Doesn't seem too difficult to go to one of the less crowded parts, as is normal in other public spaces such as train stations.

I didn't smell tobacco smoke all weekend, but got bloody fed up with the stink of spliff. Agree with many that Pixies was uninteresting after 4 or 5 songs. Kevin Morby smashed it, Wave Pictures fun. Newly impressed with The Heavy Heavy and The Bug Club. Growing love for acoustic sets on the Talking Heads stage (I wish they would do these late on, as an alternative to the Tipi Tent). The dark beers were ace - a porter and a stout - until they ran out (too soon).

Edited by paulwa

• 3 weeks later...

The good -

it's End of the Road. It's so relaxed, the programming is awesome, it's just the best gaff.

Left Fleet Foxes to go watch black midi and it was one of the most overwhelming experiences of my life. I loved it.

Meeting some efests folk I've been talking to since like 2007 for the first time! A real moment.

The bad -

having to pay an extra pound to get a Metroland that tasted like something

Pixies. Absolutely wretched

bogs. better than last year, but still poor. i didn't have one that flushed the whole weekend

TT running out of lageritas

The ugly -

yeez. I know everyone's under pressure, but the corner cutting was pretty obvious. Some bits felt a bit jaded, tired. Line up clearly been downgraded. My third time is literally nothing has been progressed, at best, it's still the same. Feels a bit like it's getting left behind

Bright Eyes. When the bad played they were brilliant, but when he was speaking....christ. I alternated between feeling very very sad or like i was enabling him by being there. Very uncomfortable

19 hours ago, robith said:

Left Fleet Foxes to go watch black midi and it was one of the most overwhelming experiences of my life. I loved it.

Friday evening was the highlight of the festival for me. Snapped Ankles into Black Midi, for someone who didn’t know much about either band back then, was sensational stuff.

We managed to get a great spot in that weird new stage for SA and the squashed environment made for real anarchy, crowd went bananas. I was pretty exhausted after that but we wandered over to watch BM and again got a pretty good spot mid-centre, which turned out to be right on the edge of the mosh pit. The intensity of the music together with the vast mosh pit right in front of us made it, as said above, overwhelming. I loved it!

The rest of the weekend, whilst very enjoyable, never really lived up to that evening. However, Aldous Harding was wonderful and a fitting finish to the festival.

• 4 weeks later...