Wide Awake 2023

Tony Zografos please

Personally I think this is a good move as the lineup felt like it was spread quite thin last year compared with the first year when it was just one day. Also their organisation was pretty dreadful (stages not built in time, gates not opening on time, stage times running an hour or more late in some tents) and I'd rather they work on getting the one day right. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mahoneypepe said:

Arooj Aftab, Gilla Band, Osees, Sunset Rollercoaster, Ty Segall, A Place To Bury Strangers, Erol Alkan, Glass Beams, Habibi Funk, Lebanon Hanover, Madmadmad, Σstella are playing

Arooj Aftab, Gilla Band and Osees is certainly enough to peak my interest!  Have seen Arooj and Gilla Band recently though.  Another couple of good names and I’m there.  Where are those names from? 

Edited by lessthanwill1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:51 AM, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

From the looks of that line-up it absolutely screams King Gizzard to me 

Might end up being a dance headliner potentially given you have Erol there for example. Could see bands in the day and then a big dance act or two at night perhaps

imo King Gizzard is a perfect headliner for this festival, as it was envisaged in its first year.  I think electronic acts were always envisaged for Wide Awake but not necessarily as the main headliner (there are already so many electronic focused day festivals in London).  You could just have Erol, or someone like Mount Kimbie for example, headlining the dance tent alongside the main headliner (as Daniel Avery did the first year).

Wide Awake was an exciting festival as it seemed to be curated to largely celebrate the UK’s underground rock and experimental scene, with a few mid level marquee acts and international acts as a cherry on top.  There aren’t too many festivals that do that on that sort of scale (DIY and Visions are pretty good though).  I hope they focus on this for next year’s festival.  The leaked names (if true) are a good starting point. 

52 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

imo King Gizzard is a perfect headliner for this festival, as it was envisaged in its first year.  I think electronic acts were always envisaged for Wide Awake but not necessarily as the main headliner (there are already so many electronic focused day festivals in London).  You could just have Erol, or someone like Mount Kimbie for example, headlining the dance tent alongside the main headliner (as Daniel Avery did the first year).

Wide Awake was an exciting festival as it seemed to be curated to largely celebrate the UK’s underground rock and experimental scene, with a few mid level marquee acts and international acts as a cherry on top.  There aren’t too many festivals that do that on that sort of scale (DIY and Visions are pretty good though).  I hope they focus on this for next year’s festival.  The leaked names (if true) are a good starting point. 

Absolutely, wide awake is great as it caters for the blend of the leftfield psych/alternative/electronic scenes that Field Day used to before it was bought out.

I think actually Wide Awake run by some of the people who started Field Day which would make sense. Looking forward to the line up tomorrow 

Hot Chip too small and not exclusive enough? I'd understand if this was on the same scale as like BST or APE, but it's not. This year the headliners were Bicep and Primal Scream, who seem to tour all the time. Plus it sold quite badly this year and they had £5 tickets for sale so maybe they've realised its pointless to spend money on "big" headliners

4 hours ago, Enkidu said:

Hot Chip too small and not exclusive enough? I'd understand if this was on the same scale as like BST or APE, but it's not. This year the headliners were Bicep and Primal Scream, who seem to tour all the time. Plus it sold quite badly this year and they had £5 tickets for sale so maybe they've realised its pointless to spend money on "big" headliners

Bicep headlined an APE day last year - hot chip aren't getting close to that. Primal definitely are more Hot Chip's size - hot chip could do it but they'd need a similar size act as support / special guests etc