Taylor swift

brettredmayne

10 minutes ago, willd255 said:

I am a really big fan of Taylor so don't say this lightly - the album is pretty bad. All one sound, akin to 'False God'. Real disappointment after how good the last two were. Hopefully if she does do Glasto it'll be a career spanning set and not a Midnights one

I was nervous to listen after seeing the fan reactions but I really like this. It seems to be set very polarising amongst fans tomorrow I think - I’ll be interested to see what the reaction is in the press and what they rate it

13 minutes ago, willd255 said:

I am a really big fan of Taylor so don't say this lightly - the album is pretty bad. All one sound, akin to 'False God'. Real disappointment after how good the last two were. Hopefully if she does do Glasto it'll be a career spanning set and not a Midnights one

I don’t think it’s bad at all, love on your kid, question, anti hero. 

To me it’s a follow up to 1989 in that symph sound and I’ve now listened a few times and picking up things from each listen. 

9 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Probably. And theres no way it will get her another album of the year win with the Grammys.

I wish she would give up on the Grammys like so many other artists seem to have done (Silk Sonic, Drake, The Weeknd)

I felt sorry for her in her documentary when she didn’t get nominated for Reputation but this idea that she needs awards to be validated is so silly - she’s one of the biggest artists on the planet and that should be enough

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

I don’t think it’s bad at all, love on your kid, question, anti hero. 

To me it’s a follow up to 1989 in that symph sound and I’ve now listened a few times and picking up things from each listen. 

1989 was far more upbeat than this. I don't mind the mellow synth sound and she's done it well in the past but all these tracks blend into one. Wasn't a single stand out for me. Hope it grows on me because i'm genuinely a fan but listened through twice now bored to death. There are also, even by her standards, some shockingly bad lyrics

Edited by willd255
-

I get why people might not like this if you’re expecting or hoping for big Taylor bops with huge choruses, but for the vibey late night synth pop album that it is I’m really loving it on my first listen through, and I think those of you who aren’t too keen will come around to it eventually. Proper headphones in, walking around the city at night kind of album imo. 

Doesn’t scream banging Pyramid headline set, mind, so if she’s playing here’s hoping she limits the amount of songs played from it rather than her usual deal of playing the new one entirely.

29 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I get why people might not like this if you’re expecting or hoping for big Taylor bops with huge choruses, but for the vibey late night synth pop album that it is I’m really loving it on my first listen through, and I think those of you who aren’t too keen will come around to it eventually. Proper headphones in, walking around the city at night kind of album imo. 

Doesn’t scream banging Pyramid headline set, mind, so if she’s playing here’s hoping she limits the amount of songs played from it rather than her usual deal of playing the new one entirely.

I'm holding off until tomorrow, but from reading some initial impression like this, it seems there might be something to the Lorde (non Solar Power) comparisons? The description of walking around a city at night is exactly how I see Lorde's first two records, or driving down an empty highway late at night with all the street lights glaring.

Just not happening for me and pop albums aren't usually growers. I even really liked Reputation but this one's not clicking. There's a couple of ok tracks, there's just no standouts or bangers. Lover had Cruel Summer, Reputation had Getaway Car. There's nothing here. Also might explain the lack of single - I know Anti-Hero is getting a music video - personally, find it very dull. 

Credit for trying to do something a bit different but she's actually done this sound on previous albums to MUCH greater effect (Call It What You Want, Dress). Lorde does it better and far more interestingly. This is all incredibly samey.

She sets the bar very high and unfortunately, for me, this one just falls far short