Mad Cool 2023

edge235

55 minutes ago, iamstreety said:

Even with all the changes, I am sure that the stages/timings will be similar. Interesting looking at the Clashfinder for this year and previous. It starts later than I thought (6pm), with only a few acts playing on one stage.

Will definitely be a change to the usual European 'lads' weekend away.*

* By 'lads', we all have families and are getting on a bit.

Yes, because it is extremely hot in Madrid around that time. So they have to start so late.

21 hours ago, iamstreety said:

Accidentally found this festival today after the QOTSA Glastonbury mistake. Going to give it a read up, as we are going to Madrid in July for my 40th.

The lineup looks decent, especially as we would just be doing a day.

For anyone that has been before, how is the festival? Worth a visit?

The atmosphere is terrible. People is boring, they talk so much, the sound is not the best, and we had 38º one day last year. I cannot recomend this festival, I'm sorry. 

• Downvote 5

18 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

The atmosphere is terrible. People is boring, they talk so much, the sound is not the best, and we had 38º one day last year. I cannot recomend this festival, I'm sorry. 

I much rather take that heat vs festivals in the UK, freezing and shivering in rain 😛 (at least what my experience was)

4 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

Apart from the temperature I can't agree with anything you said.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

Last year was near perfect organization, public transport included, bars ran smoothly,  t's a pity it was last year at Valdebebas, It's true that in 2018 was awful at first day, but from then, the Festival has improved.

Heat in Madrid was benevolent all years, we were lucky, last year one week later it was a heat wave (all Europe) with 40+, but  during festival temperature was from 28-35 , perfectly normal in Madrid summer

Sound was one of the assets of this Festival during Ifema Valdebebas period, especially stage 3

And ratio price/ acts is unbeatable.

So, a good to great Festival, right now, I'll say

Edited by Big Kahuna
  • Upvote 1

Are there any small artists you guys think the others might be sleeping on? 

I have two suggestions for you to check out, because they are far lower than deserve to be

Yellow Days - It's very chill, kinda "smoke weed and sit out in the window" guitar music but the singer's voice is actually mind blowing. He is so young but his voice is so deep and rich you cannot believe the voice is comming out of him. Defo watch him in a Youtube video because it certainly adds to the experience lol. 

Himalayas - Their sound, their mix is amazing compared to how low they are on the billing. They sound quite a bit like Artic Monkeys, I don't think it's annoying, but their songs mixed to such level that you would have little trouble convincing me that I am listening to a new AM song. 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, Akujin said:

Are there any small artists you guys think the others might be sleeping on? 

I have two suggestions for you to check out, because they are far lower than deserve to be

Yellow Days - It's very chill, kinda "smoke weed and sit out in the window" guitar music but the singer's voice is actually mind blowing. He is so young but his voice is so deep and rich you cannot believe the voice is comming out of him. Defo watch him in a Youtube video because it certainly adds to the experience lol. 

Himalayas - Their sound, their mix is amazing compared to how low they are on the billing. They sound quite a bit like Artic Monkeys, I don't think it's annoying, but their songs mixed to such level that you would have little trouble convincing me that I am listening to a new AM song. 

Two great recommendations there. Thanks ! 

On 3/4/2023 at 11:13 PM, Big Kahuna said:

Last year was near perfect organization, public transport included, bars ran smoothly,  t's a pity it was last year at Valdebebas, It's true that in 2018 was awful at first day, but from then, the Festival has improved.

Heat in Madrid was benevolent all years, we were lucky, last year one week later it was a heat wave (all Europe) with 40+, but  during festival temperature was from 28-35 , perfectly normal in Madrid summer

Sound was one of the assets of this Festival during Ifema Valdebebas period, especially stage 3

And ratio price/ acts is unbeatable.

So, a good to great Festival, right now, I'll say

I really liked it in Valdebebas. I loved 2019 and 2022. Probably my favourite festival I've been to pound for pound.

Getting there are getting home was no problem. 

I love the Spanish festivals. I don't book any in Ireland or the UK anymore. The weather makes such a difference to mood,vibe,enjoyment. OK you might be too hot, but your tent isn't flooded. You can sit on the ground without getting a wet arse. The beers go down real nice in the sun. People have more flesh on display. Everyones a winner.

Explore the city (Madrid/Barcelona) by day. Eat well. Sojourn to the festival in the evening and party until the wee hours. Rinse and repeat the day after.

• Like 1

Below is a cut and paste from Mad Cool english speaking fans FB page. Seems to confirm new location but not sure if last sentence is from the reply from Mad Cool or the authors take.

After my mail regarding New Location and Hotels nearby I got this answer:

The location of the venue is in the Villaverde area, in Laguna Dalga street. As for the displacements/transportation, there are train and subway stops nearby, as well as several buses.
And as always we will have shuttles to the center of Madrid.
More detailed information will be published later.

I needed to add, that public transport doesn´t drive after the concerts and the organisations with the Taxis/ubers didn´t work either... I think, we´ll skip this year...

12 hours ago, Red Day said:

Below is a cut and paste from Mad Cool english speaking fans FB page. Seems to confirm new location but not sure if last sentence is from the reply from Mad Cool or the authors take.

After my mail regarding New Location and Hotels nearby I got this answer:

The location of the venue is in the Villaverde area, in Laguna Dalga street. As for the displacements/transportation, there are train and subway stops nearby, as well as several buses.
And as always we will have shuttles to the center of Madrid.
More detailed information will be published later.

I needed to add, that public transport doesn´t drive after the concerts and the organisations with the Taxis/ubers didn´t work either... I think, we´ll skip this year...

Do not trust "Mad Cool english speaking fans FB page"

On 3/4/2023 at 2:27 PM, davidoffescassi said:

I read a similar thing before I went to NOS alive and we had the time of our lives there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 6:34 PM, Akujin said:

Thoughts on this?

https://clashfinder.com/m/madcool2023/?user=0zrtvo.qd

I mean I know it’s someone’s guess work, but how realistic is this? Thursday would be a complete sh#tshow of clashes for me if it’s like this. 

I'm only going on the Thursday and I could live with that honestly. 

I expect there to be lots of clashes as that day is absolutely STACKED. They'll need to spread the crowd between stages and the only way to do that is to have clashes. 

I'd expect the main stages to look like that but maybe Robbie plays before Lizzo as he probably has the power to choose his exact play time.

Am I the only one who is getting a bit of Fyre festival vibes?

All the issues with the wristband payments, now this, and less than 3 months away from the festival, still no announcement of the new location. Let alone pictures of the site being built. 

They said in an article that it will be an all year round thing, which implies complex building work, I don’t know how they will knock it out in two months…

4 hours ago, Akujin said:

Am I the only one who is getting a bit of Fyre festival vibes?

All the issues with the wristband payments, now this, and less than 3 months away from the festival, still no announcement of the new location. Let alone pictures of the site being built. 

They said in an article that it will be an all year round thing, which implies complex building work, I don’t know how they will knock it out in two months…

This is totally a Mad cool kinda thing. And they manage to pull it off in the end each year.

• 2 weeks later...

Flights and Air BnB booked today.

Have they even started to build the new location yet?,

I actually really liked IFEMA for it. I'll miss it.

I loved the walk in with a can, past Madrids training ground etc, and after going a few times, I am comfortable with the train and bus routes, short cuts, connections etc. 

New location could be a nightmare.....